Community discussions

MikroTik App

mikrotikowner
just joined
Topic Author

Stripping ISP VLAN Tags

Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:03 pm

Hi all,

About to purchase my first MikroTik product an RB260GS - looks like excellent value for money.

I am upgrading from VDSL over Copper to Bell Canada's "Fibe" FTTH/FTTP connection.

My use case is shown in the attached diagram.
OpticalLanConnectionSetup.png

At this stage would anyone be able to comment: can the RB260GS
  • Strip the ISP's VLAN tag (#35) and then pass all traffic to my Router and Analog Telephone Adapter (ATA) on the Default VLAN (#1)
  • Pass the two separate PPPoE connection discovery/connections from the ATA and Router to the ISP so that the ISP will serve up separate public IPs for each
I have this setup working today except the MikroTik is the ISP's VDSL modem/switch, and the traffic between that modem/switch and the ISP's network/internet is all on the default VLAN (#1). I'm looking to replicate this setup when I move to optical connection where the ISP puts all the IP traffic on VLAN 35, while making the smallest number of changes to the rest of my setup.

Any help would be appreciated....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jookraw
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Stripping ISP VLAN Tags

Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:15 pm

Hi,
Yes, you can do it.
Just set the SFP port as trunk and allow the VLAN 35 as tagged, and on the other ports that go to the ATA and router, you set the vlan 35 as untagged, the devices connected will not see any vlan id, as it will be untagged.

just by curiosity, are you replacing the WRT54GS as well? it seems a bit weak for a FTTH connection.

mikrotikowner
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Stripping ISP VLAN Tags

Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:16 pm

Hi @Jookraw,
First thanks for the confirmation... I was guessing it was something like that but this my first foray into vLans :-)

just by curiosity, are you replacing the WRT54GS as well? it seems a bit weak for a FTTH connection.

You are totally correct the WRT54GS is totally underpowered for FTTH... it maxes out at 100Mbps. But I'm just changing one thing at a time for now... :-) let me get the FTTH working without the ISP's router/media converter then I'll upgrade my router.

On that topic... I'd really like to stick with DD-WRT, just because I'm familiar with it for the past 10+ years, but as far as I can tell it doesn't work on the new "Hex" (??) MikroTik routerboards. Is that right?