MikroTik App

joshhboss
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Management VLAN?

Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:31 am

I will be using the CRS317-1G-16S+RM.
And i typically have all my cisco switches on a management vlan by addressing the vlan with an ip
i.e. -
JoshSw1(config)#int vl 77
JoshSw1(config-if)#ip add 192.168.77.101 255.255.255.0
JoshSw1(config-if)#
And i read somewhere that the switch os just becomes accessible from all of the vlans.
without actually being on a vlan tho.. how would my edge router know how to send traffic to the switch..
SUPER BEGINNER with mikrotik.. I know they are powerful but i am crazy intimidated by the learning cure..

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Management VLAN?

Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:16 pm

Take a look at the System tab. Note the "Allow From", "Allow From Ports", and "Allow from VLAN" selections. Allow From lets you enter an IP address that is the only IP allowed to connect. Allow From Ports specifies which ports on the switch that connection can came into the switch on. Allow from VLAN specifies which VLAN that connection must be on in order to connect (blank is untagged). The switch will have only one IP address as defined by the top two boxes (a static IP in the case of this switch).

If you are using a fairly recent version of Chrome, my image won't display here, so here is a link to the image: http://extraphotos.info/mikrotik/CSS106-System.PNG

newyork10023
just joined

Re: Management VLAN?

Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:40 am

I have a CRS326-24G-2S+, CRS309-1G-8+, CRS305-1G-4+ running SwitchOS (v2.13), and a hAP AC (RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT) running RouterOS (v6.48.3). (There is also a cAP ac (RBcAPGi-5acD2nD-US) but it is awaiting final configuration.

The CRS309 and CRS305 connect to the CRS326 using the SFP+ for trunk links carrying all VLANs except the management VLAN, which are on 1G ports on the CRS326.

The switches are configured with static IPs, are configured for Allow from Ports and Allow from VLAN. There is no Allow From configured (although one did formerly).

I can connect to the hAP AC (RouterOS) from macOS Mojave with the management VLAN using the web interface. I am unable to connect to the CRS326, CRS309 or CFS305 (all SwitchOS) from macOS with the management VLAN using the web interface. However, on the same Mac with a VMware Fusion virtual machine running Windows 7 connected to the same VLAN interface, I am able to connect to all switches and routers using the web interface. This all worked on a Mac Pro 5.1 from macOS, but with a new (acquistion) Mac mini 8.1 (2018) it doesn't work from macOS only from the Windows 7 VM using the same interface. On very rare occasion, the outer frame (?) of the web interface on the CRS326 will appear briefly, and even the login pop-up on the most rare of times. But usually I am unable to reach the web interface on the switches from macOS. I am able to ping all switches and routers from macOS.

Do you have any thoughts? I find it puzzling that it works in a VM but not on the host, and that it works with RouterOS but not with SwitchOS, and that I had no trouble with a Mac Pro 5.1 but now have trouble with a Mac mini 8.1 (2018). I can provide screenshots and configurations, as needed (and with direction how to upload the configuration).