Community discussions

MikroTik App

SecCon
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Suddenly unable to connect to Switch

Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:45 pm

Since I set up my Router I have not connected to my Switch (see signature). But as I dig in to more and more functionality I was going to check a few things, but suddenly the switch is unreachable. The DHCP Server on the router gave the switch 192.168.1.255, despite me having giving it ...*1.5 initially and I cant even reach it via neighbours in WinBox (i guess WinBox only works with RoS).

The network works. I did a power cycle that did not help... Could try a reset unless you have any tips below.

Any ideas, or should I just try to connect to it directly via console...

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Suddenly unable to connect to Switch  [SOLVED]

Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:01 pm

Hint: Set a static IP address in the DHCP server for the switch MAC address, then reboot switch.
192.168.1.255 is wierd, as for 192.168.1.0/24 it is the broadcast address. Expected 192.168.1.254.

SwOS 2.13 is better in this than SwOS 2.12.

SecCon
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Suddenly unable to connect to Switch

Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:22 pm

That did it... thanks... it's 2.13.

unkis17
just joined

Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:46 am

Hi All, New to MikroTik products.

Just got a CRS326. Don't know how to use most of it. I booted the CRS326 to SwOS as I'm only looking to add a managed switch for VLAN support.

Background Info:
I am running a stock PFSense gateway (virtual via Proxmox) with no tweaks. Only change is DNS is forwarded to a piHole machine to block adds and adult content (OpenDNS). The network dream is to use vlans to isolate the kids and control devices via time scheduling. Also eventually get rid of Pi-hole and run PfblockerNG on PF Sense with OpenDNS (adult filtering).

I can configure the SWos to boot one or two times and gain access to the web interface. I assigned a true static IP of 192.168.10.2 to it, not static leasing, so ARP on PfSense (192.168.10.1) does not see it.

I came back today to tinker and I can no longer get back in via web or WinBox. However I can ping and WinBox can find via IP and MAC? Reboots didn't help. I even disconneted the gateway and all devices, rebooted and used static IP on PC and still cannot get in.

I have performed factory reset to see if I did something wrong, but same issue. The only thing I changed in SwOS was password, and port names.

Now back to factory reset with RouterOS and static IP of 192.168.10.254. Keep in mind the Switch was working just find, just no administration access. I put everything back on the old unmanaged switch for now to keep everything running while playing around.

Any suggestions would be awesome

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:46 pm

I can configure the SWos to boot one or two times and gain access to the web interface. I assigned a true static IP of 192.168.10.2 to it, not static leasing, so ARP on PfSense (192.168.10.1) does not see it.

I came back today to tinker and I can no longer get back in via web or WinBox. However I can ping and WinBox can find via IP and MAC?
1. What is the IP address seen in WinBox Neighbors ? That's the one to use.
2. WinBox will connect to SwOS by launching your default browser. Connection is with the browser, not with WinBox !
3. Default browser must be able to HTTP connect to your CRS326. Be aware of possible proxy or Socks setting in the browser.
4. The CRS326 IP implementation is simple. It will answer to the same IP address and to the same MAC address as the requesting packet.
5. SwOS hopes to find the way back this way. (reply to IP and MAC) It does not understand subnets or routing gateway
6. RouterOS can be opened via MAC address with WinBox or with another RouterOS, even if the IP settig is wrong or missing. SwOS cannot do that..
7. Some devces "forget" the path for a specific MAC address. So access may stop after a period of silence.
8. After "reset" SwOS will again try to pick up a DHCP address from the network. If the DHCP server is not ready for this, some SwOS versions (like 2.12) end up with no IP address.

unkis17
just joined

Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:31 pm

@bpwl,

Thank you for the reply and providing additional information about this product.

I am running SwOS v2.13. Currently I have address as "static" so it should not be looking for anything from DHCP Server (Pfsense Router). Nothing is connected to the switch but 1 FTP+ and 1 port back to unmanaged switch (where everything else is plugged in).

Again I am not having any issues upon first boot. I will wait and see if anything changes. The past few times I have been unable to connect is after a day or two of not logging in, even after switch reboot via HTTP only (I used winbox to see if it could be discovered). I will see how it behaves. If I get error again, I will be removing the uplink cable (not plugged in port 1, maybe 16?) between CRS326 switch and unmanaged switch to see if it happens again.

Do you think I need to change this switch device to static mapping in DHCP server and use "DHCP only" in "Address Acquisition" instead of using "static"? (Also I changed IP to 192.168.10.254)

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:02 am

I don't see anything to check further.

My SwOS devices (not CRS3xx) are on static IP address, and did not create problems. The path to connect is long and complex, without problems (wifi + NAT + VPN + NAT + multiple wifi hops)

SecCon
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:39 am

@unkis17
Where is the static address defined, in the Router or on the Switch? If you defined it only on the Switch it may be that the Router gives it another anyway, anything available in the DHCP table.

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:12 am

In SwitchOS version 2.13, the IP address is set on the System tab. The very top selection sets the address acquisition mode (DHCP with fallback, Static, or DHCP only). If either of the first two, the next field becomes available where you can set a static address. Note that in the first option (DHCP with fallback), the switch will attempt to get a DHCP address first and resort to the static address only if it can't get a DHCP address. I use Static on all of my SwitchOS devices (except an original RB260 that has version 1.6 which is static only).

unkis17
just joined

Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:21 pm

All,

Thank you for the additional information. All seems to be working now. All I did was change the IP (both in RouterOS and SwOS) and it has been up and running all week.

Thank you for the support. I'm hoping to learn VLANS next so I can segment out my network and control devices in groups (IE Turn off the kids devices at night)