Community discussions

MikroTik App

Pavouk106
just joined
Topic Author

Has anyone burned RB250GS?

Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:14 pm

Hello,

I have bought this switch qround the New year 2011, I've plugged it in through PoE, parallel to my RB 433. Both of them were connected to 19V/4,5A notebook adapter. RB433 is running for about 1 year now, but switch has burned after two months. Its uptime was cca 45 days when it burned and transfer rates were rather low (up to 10Mbit/s) all the time.

It had two year warranty, so I sent it to seller, but my reclamation was rejected - "burnt by power surge through PoE".

I don't get it - how could it be burned by power surge and RB433 not when they were connected to the same adapter? This adapter was and still is connected to APC SurgeArrest PF8VNT3-FR. My RB433 has only two ports active and only one wlan with inside 3dB antenna.
Power consumption of RB433 and RB250GS together couldn't be more than adapter can deliver (~90W).

To be clear - I'm pleased with RB433, it works just fine and I know about other RB's in my neighborhood that run 24/7 for years now and there were no problems with them at all. I bought this switch, because I heard only good words about Mikrotik HW and I thought it would be better to buy 45$ Mikrotik than some total low-end for half the price, but I was wrong in this case.

Has this happened to anyone else? What was your setup? How long were you running this switch before it burned? How warm is your switch when its turned on? Mine was warm on touch on its plastic case. I suppose it could be around 50 celsius inside - is this normal temperature?

Does anyone know email address to czech service center? I would like to write them my setup, because I think that my switch was operated in normal conditions and rejection was not eligible in this case.

I would like to get some advice here, before I put blame to anyone (spoken, not official) and start dismounting switch to see it myself... And buying new one. I don't know if it will be RB250GS, I don't have the best experience with it. My Edimax 100Mbit 8port switch which I think about as low-end is running for years now and with no problems...

To mods: If this thread won't get opened, could you please write me PM with email address to czech service center if you have it? I can't find it anywhere.

Pavouk106
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Has anyone burned RB250GS?

Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:48 pm

I'm at home now, so I could open the switch to see how it looks like. Full photograph has 4.2MB, so I cropped it:

I would like to kindly ask if there is some engineer from Mikrotik on this forum if he can tell me what type of SMD parts got burned here. Looks like three capacitors, one burned totally, other two would like to be switched for new. There's no number on them and even near them on the board. I could buy them and try to repair it myself. If I throw it away now or after unsuccessful repair, it doesn't matter.

kirshteins
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:42 am

It looks like port is damaged by over-voltage. Damaged component is ferrite bead, you can try to replace it with thin wire (it is still very likely that port1 will not function properly). Other components appear to be fine.

What device was connected to port1? Was it grounded properly?

Pavouk106
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:04 pm

There was PoE on port 1 along with data from RB433. It was connected through passive PoE box (like this one). Grounded properly... Those devices are under my table and they are connected to anything only by ethernet cables, so there was no special grounding.

I should replace this one burned part with simple wire? There's very little space, could solder alone do it? I don't have professional tools, I can't very well imagine soldering of very thin wire in this little space. But device is KO now, so I don't have any problem trying it.

The other two parts look like they could be ok?

Thank you very much for your reply