Community discussions

MikroTik App

dragon2611
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Dual Mode ports?

Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:22 am

Is it possible to support Dual Mode ports on the GS250?

Basically I need port 2 and 3 to pass untagged packets for Vlan4 and also to accept packets tagged with Vlan9

I seem to only manage either completely untagged (By striping on egress) or completely tagged, the problem is there are HP proliant machines connected to these ports and the iLO wants to see a tagged packet and the OS running on the box wants to see an untagged packet.

I know quite a few switches support this but I can't seem to make SWOS do it.

evharten

Re: Dual Mode ports?

Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:14 am

As far as i know you can do that when setting the ports on Optional (and leave the header 'as-is').
Then you put the ports on vlan4 and packets for vlan9 will travel thru it.

Like this:
Screen Shot 2013-03-29 at 05.16.24.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dragon2611
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:33 am

As far as i know you can do that when setting the ports on Optional (and leave the header 'as-is').
Then you put the ports on vlan4 and packets for vlan9 will travel thru it.

Like this:
Screen Shot 2013-03-29 at 05.16.24.png
Doesn't work as it leaves the traffic tagged with Vlan4 which is what causes problems for the connected device.

I asked support and was told it's possible on the GS260 but not the GS250

evharten

Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:39 am

Ofcourse im not sure which hardware you got there, but all the hardware i tried here just ignore the vlan packets, as they do not support it / or have it disabled.
If hardware is causing trouble when you have vlans on the link, but also untagged vlan then i would suggest getting other hardware which does work like the RFC specified.
Even windows works fine when there are Vlans tagged on the link, and windows uses the untagged.

dragon2611
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:44 pm

Ofcourse im not sure which hardware you got there, but all the hardware i tried here just ignore the vlan packets, as they do not support it / or have it disabled.
If hardware is causing trouble when you have vlans on the link, but also untagged vlan then i would suggest getting other hardware which does work like the RFC specified.
Even windows works fine when there are Vlans tagged on the link, and windows uses the untagged.
That's the problem with the 250GS you can't have a Port mapped Untagged into a specific Vlan and also have Tagged packets on that port!

Either everything coming out of that port is tagged or Nothing is.

The device connected to the port is a HP server running Centos 6.x

I Want tagged packets for the iLO and untagged for the OS itself (It's a DL120 G7 the iLO shares one of the existing NIC's rather than having it's own management port)

I could of course reconfigure Centos to use the tagged Vlan but seeing as the server is actually a KVM host that's actually a right pain in the backside to do, much easier to just use a switch that supports Dual mode ports.

That way I can simply have the switch port untagged in the Server Vlan but Tagged in the other Vlan.

evharten

Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:57 am

That's the problem with the 250GS you can't have a Port mapped Untagged into a specific Vlan and also have Tagged packets on that port!

I Want tagged packets for the iLO and untagged for the OS itself (It's a DL120 G7 the iLO shares one of the existing NIC's rather than having it's own management port)

I could of course reconfigure Centos to use the tagged Vlan but seeing as the server is actually a KVM host that's actually a right pain in the backside to do, much easier to just use a switch that supports Dual mode ports.

That way I can simply have the switch port untagged in the Server Vlan but Tagged in the other Vlan.
Maybe just a suggestion, but why dont you use ProxMox (its an OpenSource Debian distribution optimized for KVM usage) has also HighAvailability options, AND its quite easy to config it to use tagged vlans on the interface ;)

dragon2611
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:28 pm

Maybe just a suggestion, but why dont you use ProxMox (its an OpenSource Debian distribution optimized for KVM usage) has also HighAvailability options, AND its quite easy to config it to use tagged vlans on the interface ;)
It's something I was looking at as a possible future option, but I suspect it would require a migration/wipe/reload of the host.

evharten

Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:47 am

Yes it does indeed, you could however copy all the VM images to an external device/storage.
Then reinstall it, create the VM's again on the proxmox server, and then copy the image back to the host in the specific VM folder.
Then you wont loose any VM data ;)

dragon2611
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:46 pm

Yes it does indeed, you could however copy all the VM images to an external device/storage.
Then reinstall it, create the VM's again on the proxmox server, and then copy the image back to the host in the specific VM folder.
Then you wont loose any VM data ;)
Just a lot of downtime on the VM's :lol:

Easier to just replace the switch, and saves a lot of my Time as well :D

Haven't decided if I'm going to upgrade it to a 260GS or something else, leaning towards the something else purely as I'd like something with some more ports on anyway.

They need to get SwOS devices out with 8,16,24 ports.etc