Community discussions

MikroTik App

npero

Re: RB260GSP ready for prime time?

Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:28 pm

I have problem only on port 2, plugin device not that important and monitoring that device with ping with email if power is down switch to off and again to on and working.
I have send couple screen shoot to support also replace device on port 2 and waiting solution from support.
With 1.14 is working much much better but port 2 is problem.

For now have only two 206GSP both suffering port 2 POE problem all other POE switches is 750UP not problem at all.

taduikis

Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:58 pm

I can confirm that 9 times out of 10 - Port2 is the crashing port, but it happens on other ports also (the crashes are not very often, but on many switches it does add quite a number). Recalibrating PoE (with v1.14) did help, it doesn't crash as often as before, but it still happens (again, on large number of switches the problem gets kinda noticeable). Repeatedly recalibrating PoE doesn't change anything at all, ports still randomly crash. Rearranging PoE priorities have no effect too.

I avoid Port2 where I can, and in some places I use daisy-chained GSP's with Port2 unused or used with regular PoEs. In fact we don't really critically need power-cycling capability (or even more - current/voltage monitoring capability), since RB711's and 912's have proved to be very stable. GSP's having integrated PoEs just makes the installation more convenient and compact, plus for the price difference from GS you get 24V/2.5A PSU which is kinda handy for use elsewhere. This is the main reason to use GSPs over GSs for us.

If MT doesn't show up with SwOS update promising some changes in this part soon, I think we'll start rotating switches replacing them with hardwired power to ports. It'll be more work, but at least it works rock-solid.

cmoegele

Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:32 pm

My 4 devices show also strange behaviour. So at the moment I stay with the RB750UP.

Even the missing RSTP is a step back,... :(

GlueGuy
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:00 pm

We have installed a total of 3 RB260GS switches, and 2 out of 3 have failed within a month or two of initial installation. In both cases, it appeared to be some kind of internal power problem; no lights of any kind, but the ethernet ports appear to be sending carrier to connected equipment. We are now carrying two spares because it appears we may be re-visiting these frequently.

jaykay2342

Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:07 pm

As this thread feared me to use the RB260GSP in the field. i took the device i bought a while ago and and use it at my own location. It's powering a old groove and a recently mounted sextant. It's running for 20 day. so far it's working.

vk4akp

Re: RB260GSP - POE issue. 4mA Current too low.

Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:07 am

Hi,
Just came home to see my RBMetal2SHPn going blip blip blip in the back room.

It and a Bullet-M2HP are plugged into a RB260GPS (So only two devices).
Both were idling in AP mode with no connections for some days).

The RB260GSP was reporting low current (4mA) on both ports 1 & 2. and then cycling the power.

I tried a software reset twice with no success.

So I Googled the problem and found this thread.

I have flashed the unit with the latest firmware 1.14 and after it self rebooted the devices have come back online again.

Running at about 1.10-1.45mA current for each device.

I just thought I should add my report to this issue.

We have 3x RB260GSP 's here (two in service and one spare) they are brand new units operating now for maybe a month or so.

I'll let you know if it fails again after this firmware update.

.-.-.

vk4akp

Re: RB260GSP ready for prime time? ***NOPE. No where near it

Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:26 am

OK Just came home today to the exact same problem again.

So the issue has *not* been resolved with the latest firmware I'm sad to say. :(

Both devices on ports 2 & 3 were not functioning.

The RB260GSP would report that port 2 was connected and supplying about 100-140mA.
Port 3 would say connect for a few seconds no mA reported then say too low and cycle around again.

The RB260GSP web interface would also say connection lost every few seconds and not display the web page. (something new!) :(

I issued a soft reboot from the web interface and it all came up again OK.

So the problem is still there. :(

I can not deploy these at any of our remote sites as we would have no way to reboot them when they fail.

They are not fit for the purpose sold.
.-.-.

Arcee
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:46 pm

Watching this thread as I'm about to purchase one of these switches.

inquiery
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:44 am

I recently exchanged an old RB450 on a site witha RB260GSP (the RB450 was running as a simple managed switch).
The RB450 was old and was crashing (had some stewed capacitors).

I have the RB260GSP connected directly to a 12v batery of 45Ah, and an intelligent battery charger. The RB260GSP reports like ~13v, and I use port2, port3 and port4 with PoE. The RB260GSP never reboots, but all 3 devices reboots frequently, and all at the same time. I have a Bullet 5, a SXT 5 lite and a Rocket M5 and they all reboot at the same time and frequently.

I have already updated to SwOS 1.14 a weak ago and it didn't help.

vk4akp

Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:30 am

OK I've just checked the device again and now find something even more disturbing.

A few days ago we were requested to power off one of our high powered 5.8Ghz devices connected to a high gain antenna so people could work safely in the area directly in front of it.

Today I check the device and although it lists the device power as being set to OFF it is applying power to the device and it is functioning!. :(

So workers have been exposed to microwave radiation.

This has now become a major health and safety issue exposing us to possible prosecution.

We will be pulling all of these devices from our services.
.-.-.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:10 am

Don't you know what is the safety switch used on machines under repair?

jaykay2342

Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:19 am

OK I've just checked the device again and now find something even more disturbing.

A few days ago we were requested to power off one of our high powered 5.8Ghz devices connected to a high gain antenna so people could work safely in the area directly in front of it.

Today I check the device and although it lists the device power as being set to OFF it is applying power to the device and it is functioning!. :(

So workers have been exposed to microwave radiation.

This has now become a major health and safety issue exposing us to possible prosecution.

We will be pulling all of these devices from our services.
.-.-.
i don't know how it is in your country, but here you can't have a setup with a legal EIRP which is a risk for the health. or are your technicians some kind of wavies?

docmarius
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:44 pm

They could also sue the sun, because it irradiates them with 1 kW/square meter. Which is maybe 1000 times more then that AP exposing them to maybe 1W/sq.m at lower, less energetic wavelengths.
This is an technical issue, but to escalate this to a health hazard is a little far fetched. A microwave oven has more escaping RF power than this. And I assume they don't use mobile phones either - having a up to 1 W transmitter near your head...

vk4akp

Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:15 am

Don't you know what is the safety switch used on machines under repair?
Yes! POE Out >> **OFF** is OFF!!! Yes? Well not with this devices. Very dangerous! :(

Why have if not to be used??? :?
.-.-.

vk4akp

Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:21 am

OK So again today. Another device does the same thing POE is set to Off but port one is powered! :(

So set both 1 & 2 to Auto and apply. Then port 2 says Low Current bug again!.

Finally both back on after soft reset.

This device has big problems even with current firmware! :(
.-.-.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vk4akp

Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:39 am

They could also sue the sun, because it irradiates them with 1 kW/square meter. Which is maybe 1000 times more then that AP exposing them to maybe 1W/sq.m at lower, less energetic wavelengths.
This is an technical issue, but to escalate this to a health hazard is a little far fetched. A microwave oven has more escaping RF power than this. And I assume they don't use mobile phones either - having a up to 1 W transmitter near your head...
Regardless of your thoughts EMR rules in our country are not to be laughed at unless you like being poor from legal actions! :(

61dBm focused on human life @ less then a meter's distance @ 5.8Ghz not welcome by the authorities! (31dBm rf + Grid @ 30dBi).

Tell them your thoughts. Not me. I have no interest in breaking laws. !!
.-.-.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:22 am

Sure the device doesn't work as it should. No doubt. On the other side you cannot use such features as safety features. Never. If you mean honestly what you wrote than you have already implemented real safety tools that definitely block radiation from antennas by visible manner. For example metal deck over the active part of antenna.... You should learn safety principles and implement them into your work instead yelling here.

vk4akp

Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:54 pm

Sure the device doesn't work as it should. No doubt. On the other side you cannot use such features as safety features. Never. If you mean honestly what you wrote than you have already implemented real safety tools that definitely block radiation from antennas by visible manner. For example metal deck over the active part of antenna.... You should learn safety principles and implement them into your work instead yelling here.
Who is yelling? You maybe. Not I!

I am simply pointing out the facts.

- The device does not work as designed.
- The latest firmware (1.14) does not solve this issue.
- The issue of the power coming back on at some random point after it has been turned off creates a safety issue.

Whether or not you consider the use of the POE Off feature to be adequate in isolating the function of a microwave device or not is immaterial. The device does not work as designed.

We are now forced to replace all these devices with Ubiquiti Tough switches at around double the cost until the RB260GSP 's can be proven safe.

Anyhow I see no benefit in debating the mater further with you. This thread is more about reporting the problem and or success of any further possible firmware or hardware updates.
.-.-.

jaykay2342

Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:33 pm

Hey guys please keep calm.

i still have not faced any problems with the one switch i run for testing. I might be just lucky with it. But it seems ppl here have still problems. I would like to hear something from Mikrotik and what they think about these problems which obviously still existing. @Mikrotik, it's your turn now.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:34 pm

Ok. I admitted in the beginning that the device doesn't work as designed. But it is not designed to be safety switch for the cases you referred to anyway.

jaykay2342

Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:56 pm

Ok. I admitted in the beginning that the device doesn't work as designed. But it is not designed to be safety switch for the cases you referred to anyway.
I agree on it and if people use a software based "switch" safety it's a practices but let us keep that topic out of this thread.

vk4akp

Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:56 am

Well our last unit that we have left set up for testing and upgrades in the hope the problem will be solved so we can re-implement the model back into our networks has failed again today.

Once again a software reset brings the devices online again. Of course sooner or later it will fail again.

jaykay2342

Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:52 pm

I have a suspicion: As usual a battery/solar setup has some voltage fluctuation this might confuses the overload detection and it turns of a port ? do you guys use the device powered by batteries ?

coroslav
just joined

Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:12 am

wel, my rma replaced rb260gsp with fw 1.14 works "almost flawless" from a first day, powering main rb951g-2HnD for 24/7.
What I found is that when I try to use 12V power supply, it causes PoE power failures and especially on port 2,
but using original 24V adapter, or even 19V another, it works for 2nd month now without a single outage.
I went through "Callibrate" on port 2 as it dropped PoE even at 19V once, and it seem to be solved since then,
but I agree that the usable working voltage is far from free fluctuating 8-30V as printed on a box.
PoE part _is_ voltage sensitive, without doubt.

But on the other side, now there are 3 devices, rb2011 and another rb951g, and no outage repeated..
Well but.. I still think the PoE part is not what I would put massively into production anyway - but it can be easily avoided by Microtik gigabit PoE injector, when no software control is necessary. Anyway, You have no scheduller there in swOS to turn power on and off by event or at specific time..

What I appreciate much more, is that SFP/optical link between rb260gs and rb260gsp, had zero issues and this is what I consider really great.
As for toppic, I think rb260gs (without "P") is ready..

vstman
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:35 pm

connected a M900 to port 2 and all was going great until I changed the ip address of the rb. the m900 dropped from network. rb show power on, ping was dead for 15sec and then connected and cycled that without any changes. reboots and power cycles did not help. Had to replace the m900 and rb. m900 required reset. rb looks and feels fine but? I did notice that when I set port 2 off that the power continued to flow? running 1.14

I've seen the "reset" bug on other radio's and never really figured out why. Just had to deal with replacing it when it happened. Maybe 1 out of 100's? Seems to follow power outages and/or reboots.

but, it works if handled with care and you follow good troubleshooting.

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:51 am

Dear MK team. Latest SWOS is 1year old !. 1.14 is from 2014-Mar-26

Please add name ports and other wishes here from forum.
Thanks

Hotz1

Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:16 pm

Dear MK team. Latest SWOS is 1year old !. 1.14 is from 2014-Mar-26
Happy Birthday! :D
Please add name ports and other wishes here from forum.
  • → Named ports (or a comment field)
    → DHCP client
    → Power-cycle a port as an atomic operation; the switch may be powering the router that connects it to the rest of your network!

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 15, 2015 8:04 pm

I dont think anyone cares anymore about RB260GSP not working.

jaykay2342

Fri May 15, 2015 11:04 pm

I still have my test RB260GSP. It's running without any problems. But i only power 2 devices with it.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 19, 2015 1:24 am

are you all powering the switch with the 2.5 amp 24v power supply directly?

or using a poe injector on port 1??

mervincm
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:08 am

I also see problems with my RB260GSP, powered by factory adapter. SWOS 1.17

I don't believe I have issues on the PoE side (three wireless AP)
but I do see 14-18 ms ping and 1-5% dropped packets and time from PC directly connected to the RB260GSP.
I get a consistent 0% dropped, 0-1 ms ping time from my CRS226 connected passing through the RB260GSP.

stpq
just joined

Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:40 pm

I also see problems with my RB260GSP, powered by factory adapter. SWOS 1.17

I don't believe I have issues on the PoE side (three wireless AP)
but I do see 14-18 ms ping and 1-5% dropped packets and time from PC directly connected to the RB260GSP.
I get a consistent 0% dropped, 0-1 ms ping time from my CRS226 connected passing through the RB260GSP.

thats normal, the chip which runs webconfigurator (and replies to ICMP) is slow. The actual switching is normal.

stpq
just joined

Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:43 pm

I'm also facing issues, just like others here, with the RB260GSP.
I cannot log in to them. I've reset them and cleared my browser cache.
When I navigate to the login page, it just says "Loading..." nothing else. Wish we could know how soon this will be resolved.
See attached image.

rb260gsp_login_blank.PNG
Do u have another RB260GSP to try? Different browser/computer? Did it just happen or its a new switch and never worked?