Community discussions

ronniee
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

SwOS for CRS?

Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:01 am

Hi,

Maybe it was discussed, but I don't know no an official response from Mikrotik.
The Layer 2/3 switches are good products, but this mikrotik hybrid, router+switch are not helpfully solution.
The routing performance are very low, and can be disappointed to customers and they buy another brand.
The routing performance not enough for a simple home user, but they not use 24 giga ports, little company need more routing speed.
They are very happy buying a router+switch but really they can use only as switch, and not so simple to set up.
So Mikrotik, is my opinion, you have two possibilities, made a SwOS version for CRS series, it not cost much and the customers who use as switch will be happy, or second way increase CPU with a cheaper dual/quard/octal core CPU, this will increase the price, but the client want a router+switch not only switch!

Maybe at Prague MUM we will get some new products and SwOS for CRS?

best regards,
ronniee

mpreissner

Re: SwOS for CRS?

Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:06 pm

The CRS products were never intended to function as full layer 3 devices. They are, and will always be intended as a layer 2 wire-speed switch. The layer 3 capabilities are there for improved management functionality and minimal routing, i.e. you should be ok as long as you don't intend to route more than 200-300 mbps. For most people, and for many businesses, this is more than enough routing performance. People who are ordering these and getting "disappointed" are failing to research the device before they spend their money. They're not disappointed in the product, they're disappointed that they didn't take 10 minutes to make sure that the product did everything they wanted.

I think it very unlikely that MT will port SwOS to run on the CRS - it simply can't support the full functionality of the hardware.
Michael Preissner
CISSP, CCSP, CEH, PMP

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: SwOS for CRS?

Fri May 08, 2015 12:53 am

ohh my God please no !!!!

sw os its very anemic, i expect more improvement on CRS using rOS than sw os

sw os looks like the dude, dead