Community discussions

Cha0s
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: RouterOS v7.0 beta1 - when?

Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:00 pm

Could we expect hardware acceleration AES for RB3011UiAS-RM?
Not before v7. Even after v7 I am not so sure they will add HW AES support. The CPU does support it, but MikroTik don't seem to want to invest in RB3011.
They never released any other model as they did with the various models of RB2011...

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:04 pm

Could we expect a setup assistent for IPV6 Nat in Router OS?
IPv6 NAT - I bet we have to wait longer than the IGMP snooping people waited before it comes out. . .

If Mikrotik _does_ decide to add this in, I would request the following flavors (most-preferred first)
- NAT64 protocol translation (stateful)
- NAT64 protocol translation (stateless)
- NAT66-PT (stateless prefix translation)
-NAT66 (dstnat) - This is useful for things like transparent service redirection
- NAT66 (srcnat many-to-1) - this one I could be happy if they never implemented. I'd prefer for the IPv6 community to never deploy in a way that requires this because once it's there, the wound can never be completely healed.
When given a spoon,
you should not cling to your fork.
The soup will get cold.

Vooray

Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:57 pm

Up :)
It is 2018 already. May we have some status report or plans on v7 release? Or it is abandoned already?

mistry7
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:03 pm

Looks like it is Canceled.....
Nothing in the last 4 years
So we are Stil on Kernel 3.xx.xx

telcouk
just joined

Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:03 pm

I think we can safely assume that v7 is some way off, with Mikrotik staying tight lipped on a release date.
Indicating that they themselves have no idea of when it is going to be released.

We are getting to the stage where we are outgrowing our Cloud Core routers, yet we’re only doing 10-100Mb of traffic typically throughout the day! What is killing us is BGP updates, causing jitter / latency spikes on our network… We have a total of 3 full BGP feeds on a total of 4 Mikrotik Cloud Core routers.

Unfortunately, we have lost patience with Mikrotik and we are in the process of exploring alternatives. We won’t be purchasing further Mikrotik products which require BGP.
I really do think they should spell out the limitations of BGP… As on paper everything looks amazing with the Cloud Core routers, however the reality is VERY different.

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:03 pm

I think we can safely assume that v7 is some way off, with Mikrotik staying tight lipped on a release date.
Indicating that they themselves have no idea of when it is going to be released.

We are getting to the stage where we are outgrowing our Cloud Core routers, yet we’re only doing 10-100Mb of traffic typically throughout the day! What is killing us is BGP updates, causing jitter / latency spikes on our network… We have a total of 3 full BGP feeds on a total of 4 Mikrotik Cloud Core routers.

Unfortunately, we have lost patience with Mikrotik and we are in the process of exploring alternatives. We won’t be purchasing further Mikrotik products which require BGP.
I really do think they should spell out the limitations of BGP… As on paper everything looks amazing with the Cloud Core routers, however the reality is VERY different.
Not noticed this BGP generated jitter/latency so far. Searched the forum and did not find something regarding this. Did you post/discussed this problem?

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:12 pm

I think he's referring to the fact that BGP runs in a single thread - ergo cannot take advantage of multi-core tile platform. It could be that during convergence, his network performance is spotty due to various reasons, but that's just speculation on my part. At the end of the day, though, there have been many "oh that will be fixed / added / addressed in ROSv7" issues - more than I can recall, really.
When given a spoon,
you should not cling to your fork.
The soup will get cold.

zyzelis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:34 pm

+1
to say more: we already moving out from mtik wireless, now after some accidents bgp routers are on the way.

patrick7
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:54 pm

Maybe we should collaborate and make a list of alternative devices / software solutions?

As a start:

CloudCoreRouter
SuperMicro 5018D-FN8T
- 6x Gigabit Ethernet (RJ45)
- 2x 10 Gigabit Ethernet (SFP+)
- 16GB RAM
- Xeon-D 1518 Quad Core

RB75X
PCEngines APU2
- 3x Gigabit Ethernet
- 4GB RAM
- 1 GHz Quad Core X86

BGP/OSPF/MPLS done with FRR, multiple fulltables no issue.

mistry7
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:36 am

We are lucky and dont buy Mikrotik CCR for BGP....
http://mum.mikrotik.com/presentations/RU14/megis.pdf
But for all other, this Dokument is 4 years old and still nothing...
The most CCR for BGP would sorted out before they will release v7
so the problems also resolve themselves, no more need for ROS v7

I am also looking for an alternative for Mikrotik Wireless, because of missing
- spectral scan
- Nv2 bad performance in 802.11ac
- missing innovation
- missing Sync
- Limitation in Channel width

After 14 years with MIKROTIK this is not easy. Our hole Netwotk is Mikrotik based,
But they don't here and don't care the needs in Wireless Market, so we have to look to another Brands!
Pity, but reality

Mistry7

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:12 am

I am also looking for an alternative for Mikrotik Wireless, because of missing
- spectral scan
- Nv2 bad performance in 802.11ac
- missing innovation
- missing Sync

After 14 years with MIKROTIK this is not easy. Our hole Netwotk is Mikrotik based,
But they don't here and don't care the needs in Wireless Market, so we have to look to another Brands!
Pity, but reality
We have the same problem with wireless :(
We don´t use BGP on Mikrotik . The main problem is the old wireless kernel 3.0 in ROS V6
LAN, FTTx, Wireless. ISP operator based on ROS.

WireDick
just joined

Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:48 am

Can someone explain me why they just can't enable Hardware accelartion for AES in rb3011 for example as Routerboard update or license buy option???

We have 18 of them mostly for managing sophos / Cisco / Siemens stuff etc. .... via openvpn and during the last months with growing network complxity we run into bandwith issue ....

patrick7
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:57 pm

Don't expect anything kernel related to be fixed in v6.

mistry7
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:05 pm

Don't expect anything kernel related to be fixed in v6.
And don´t expect fast Release of ROS7,
we are now at 4.14.xx how long we will see Kernel 4?
Linux Kernel 5.0 Will be Coming in the Summer of 2018

Mikrotik is 4-5years behind development!

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:12 pm

RHEL 7.4 uses kernel 3.10.0-693. How many years are they behind development? :)
Russian-speaking forum: http://forum.mikrotik.by. Welcome!

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

¡ɹǝ|SOɹǝʇnoɹ ʞıʇoɹʞıW ɯ‚|

MikroTik. Your life. Your routing.

mistry7
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:59 pm

right....
But RHEL 8.0 is on the way based on Fedora 27 aka Linux Kernel 4.14

s9date
just joined

Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:54 pm

Hello. I have 11 Mikrotik 912 + Sierra MC7304. I too would love to have this to start testing LTE on MC7304. Thank you.

RogerWilco
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:35 am

Hello. I have 11 Mikrotik 912 + Sierra MC7304. I too would love to have this to start testing LTE on MC7304. Thank you.
I only have 1 of each, but I'd love to be able to use LTE too.

wilsonlmh
just joined

Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:34 am

The most CCR for BGP would sorted out before they will release v7
so the problems also resolve themselves, no more need for ROS v7
No, I'm still waiting for VirtIO support in v7

mark73
just joined

Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:01 pm

ROSv7 will be released just after Duke Nukem Forever!

*SCNR*

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:33 pm

DNF was released in 2011, so ...

juliokato
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:51 pm

No comments....
kkk
:wq!
I apologize my grammatical errors, my english not so good, I am not a native speaker.
Wiki is maintained in English. I use Google translator. 8)

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:59 am

DNF was released in 2011, so ...
So it's time for ROS v7!
Russian-speaking forum: http://forum.mikrotik.by. Welcome!

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

¡ɹǝ|SOɹǝʇnoɹ ʞıʇoɹʞıW ɯ‚|

MikroTik. Your life. Your routing.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:06 am

Apparently not yet. Don't you remember the well known sentence of Normis? "When it will be then it will be." :-)

patrick7
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:34 am

After waiting 5 years, I think it won't ever be released.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:55 am

They have moved themselves into incredible difficulty by raising the expectations so much....
When v7 would just have been a move to a new kernel that would then allow the gradual introduction of new features that required that new kernel,
and in parallel to the usual changes like we now see in the 6.x series there would be some "experimental packages" that introduce radical changes
(like the mighty new routing code), everything would have proceeded smoothly.
And it has been done before. Autorouting has been an experimental package before, and several packages for Wireless.
After some feedback and development, these respective packages became part of the standard distribution.

But now, v7 is kind of a magic bullet that promises to fix many issues and limitations, and of course it can never be completely ready for release
(without bugs and loose ends). So no matter how long it is postponed, there will always be a lot of disappointment and support calls. And by now
it is much too late to go back to the more gradual migration as described above. At least under the designation RouterOS v7.

Paternot

Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:58 pm

And by now it is much too late to go back to the more gradual migration as described above. At least under the designation RouterOS v7.
Well, there is always RouterOS v8... :D

patrick7
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:05 pm

Release of v8 will be in ~ 40 years if they proceed with the same speed.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:14 pm

I think it refers to the option of skipping v7 altogether and then proceed the way described above.
(i.e. make v8 a v6 with current kernel and then incrementally build from there just as done in v6.xx releases)

Paternot

Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:19 am

I think it refers to the option of skipping v7 altogether and then proceed the way described above.
(i.e. make v8 a v6 with current kernel and then incrementally build from there just as done in v6.xx releases)
Yes, that's it. I just think V8 should come with a new kernel - and the rest should be improved sequentially. The worst part of a new kernel are the hardware drivers. The rest is, for the most part, high level enough to not be directly affected by it.

bearmeister
just joined

Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:58 am

And yet, they are still able to deliver a working stateful DHCPv6 server, irony much?
Meanwhile, Mikrotik who are supposed to be in the SP space can't deliver a decent BGP or a working DHCPv6 server.
ROS7 has been thrown around so much over the years as far as I'm concerned its just vaporware, I'll believe it exists when I see it.
Until then, I like others, will continue to explore alternative that meet basic industry requirements.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:21 pm

When v7 would just have been a move to a new kernel ...
It's pure speculation, but I think that "just switching kernel" might be the problematic part. If they modified too much in the old one (and it looks like a lot of what RouterOS does is not just in userspace), porting everything forward can be hard. Linux is evolving, and it's being worked on by many people, much more than MikroTik has (I guess). So they can either break from it, go own way, and lose all those nice improvements already done by someone else. Or they can try to keep up with changes, port their stuff, but that can be an awful lot of work.

Paternot

Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:49 pm

When v7 would just have been a move to a new kernel ...
It's pure speculation, but I think that "just switching kernel" might be the problematic part. If they modified too much in the old one (and it looks like a lot of what RouterOS does is not just in userspace), porting everything forward can be hard. Linux is evolving, and it's being worked on by many people, much more than MikroTik has (I guess). So they can either break from it, go own way, and lose all those nice improvements already done by someone else. Or they can try to keep up with changes, port their stuff, but that can be an awful lot of work.
I'm not sure about that. The drivers are kernel bound, of course. So are the NV protocols - with all that TDMA and whatnot. But (almost) everything else? Is just userspace. Even routing: you change it in linux with a userspace command. The kernel may change as much as they want - the interface is still the same.

Even things like L2TP shouldn't be a problem: You still talks to the kernel through a userspace interface. IPv6, PPP, OpenVpn, IPSec... everything is userspace controlled. Yes, yes. OpenVpn creats an interface (tun or tap). They are provided by the kernel, and are userspace controlled. If the Linux kernel was ported to a given architecture, chances are they're already available.

The drivers... well, the drivers are the hard part. If they aren't part of the kernel three, then Mikrotik must get them, compiled to the new kernel, from the hardware makers. And this is not always easy... Then they need to test, test, test, integrate, validate... a truly hellish task.

I agree with what was said: they promised too much, and now are trying to live up to their promises. This means a lot of development, in a lot of packages. And the drivers! Have I said how hard the drivers part will be? :)

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:40 pm

I'm not sure either (and I hope I made it clear enough).

My basic argument is that used kernel was said to be limiting factor for adding some new features years ago. So it would make sense to upgrade it, and not wait for too long before doing so. Not only can the new version already have some wanted features built-in, but also hardware manufacturers are more likely to support current kernel in their (not yet built-in) drivers, if we're talking about newish hardware. If there was only relatively small amount of modifications made by MikroTik, then why hold off for so long?

I'd also say that there's a difference between controlled from userspace and being in userspace, but I can't really go far with that, because that would be too thin ice for me.

I doubt that MikroTik will share exact details, so speculations is the only thing we have. Other than just waiting, but it's a little boring already. ;)

Paternot

Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:22 am

I'm not sure either (and I hope I made it clear enough).

My basic argument is that used kernel was said to be limiting factor for adding some new features years ago. So it would make sense to upgrade it, and not wait for too long before doing so. Not only can the new version already have some wanted features built-in, but also hardware manufacturers are more likely to support current kernel in their (not yet built-in) drivers, if we're talking about newish hardware. If there was only relatively small amount of modifications made by MikroTik, then why hold off for so long?

I'd also say that there's a difference between controlled from userspace and being in userspace, but I can't really go far with that, because that would be too thin ice for me.

I doubt that MikroTik will share exact details, so speculations is the only thing we have. Other than just waiting, but it's a little boring already. ;)
I don't know. Just passing time, with idle speculation. :D

mhugo

Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:57 pm

We have been waiting too long for basic SP features like multithread BGP and something as simple as DHCP Option 82 Circuit ID. I think that if Mikrotik showed that anything was actually happening it would be easier to not look at other vendors.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:12 am

This is always possible and I encourage you to do that. There is free competition on the market and you should spend money on the products that fits your needs the best.

thobias
just joined

Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:29 pm

+1
to say more: we already moving out from mtik wireless, now after some accidents bgp routers are on the way.
We are also now in the process of throwing out everything Mikrotik running BGP as it cannot handle it.

patrick7
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:48 pm

We too. Using SuperMicro Xeon-D appliances with debian and FRR. Works like a charm, BGP with X fulltables, VRF (v4/v6), Route Leaking, ...

netravnen
just joined

Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:09 pm

Looking away from RouterOS v6.x running IPv6 BGP [tables]?

Not being able to verify IPv6 routing table (when not main table!) is really a big deal. (But seeing the routes exists by the number the route counter shows. :sigh:)
And doing policy routing rules for anything else than main table in IPv6.

It feels a bit poorly planned/immature(still?) when compared to I can do the WHOLE vrf-mpls infrastructure with IPv4. But it is only partially implemented with IPv6 (vrf's?) in RouterOS v6.x. :/

Still looking for equalized feature set between IPv4 and IPv6 in RouterOS version 7 or 8(?) in 2020 or 2025(?)

@Mikrotik: Would be nice with a roadmap somewhere telling all us customers which year to expect the release of the first release candidate for the next major release of RouterOS. (Currently it feels sort of I'm/we are left out to dry just looking/scraping for news about the next major below the earths horizon and outer space past the planet of Uranus.)

Would REALLY appreciate a lot more openness compared to fx when GitLab.com encountered extended downtime for days due to an engineers non-intended blunder while doing maintenance that fateful day last year (2017).

Cha0s
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:19 pm

Looking away from RouterOS v6.x running IPv6 BGP [tables]?

Not being able to verify IPv6 routing table (when not main table!) is really a big deal. (But seeing the routes exists by the number the route counter shows. :sigh:)
And doing policy routing rules for anything else than main table in IPv6.

It feels a bit poorly planned/immature(still?) when compared to I can do the WHOLE vrf-mpls infrastructure with IPv4. But it is only partially implemented with IPv6 (vrf's?) in RouterOS v6.x. :/

Still looking for equalized feature set between IPv4 and IPv6 in RouterOS version 7 or 8(?) in 2020 or 2025(?)

@Mikrotik: Would be nice with a roadmap somewhere telling all us customers which year to expect the release of the first release candidate for the next major release of RouterOS. (Currently it feels sort of I'm/we are left out to dry just looking/scraping for news about the next major below the earths horizon and outer space past the planet of Uranus.)

Would REALLY appreciate a lot more openness compared to fx when GitLab.com encountered extended downtime for days due to an engineers non-intended blunder while doing maintenance that fateful day last year (2017).
Didn't you hear? Almost all v7 features have been backported to v6!
Doesn't matter that routing (bgp), ipv6, drivers and all necessary 'routing' stuff cannot get backported due to old kernel version in v6. At least we now have kids control and detect internet! Super essential features for routers running BGP in the public internet :lol: :lol:

netravnen
just joined

Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:39 pm

No. I have not (before now) stumbled across that information.
At least we now have kids control and detect internet! Super essential features for routers running BGP in the public internet :lol: :lol:
So looking forward to when RouterOS will support SR !

carlhjerpe
just joined

Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:42 pm

If we draw some conclusions:
  1. Almost everything from 7.x has been backported to 6.x
  2. MikroTik has been in trouble about GPL
  3. It's been in development for a long period of time
  4. Linux has dropped TILE support
Could it possibly be that they're moving to something that isn't GPL licensed?

Just saying, there are options that aren't Linux.

mtsphere
just joined

Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:11 am

No. I have not (before now) stumbled across that information.
At least we now have kids control and detect internet! Super essential features for routers running BGP in the public internet :lol: :lol:
So looking forward to when RouterOS will support SR !
I'm sure that this will never happen... Much like IS-IS..
Somehow i'm sad that many people are leaving MT platform (numerous reasons) since i'm following and using MT basically from the begging.
Number of our customers moved to Quagga / Bird just because BGP glitches.. They waited.. but - Big Foot (v7) never came around..

Cheers

ziegenberg

Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:24 am

If we draw some conclusions:
  1. Almost everything from 7.x has been backported to 6.x
  2. MikroTik has been in trouble about GPL
  3. It's been in development for a long period of time
  4. Linux has dropped TILE support
As mentioned several times on this forum, this does not apply as MikroTik did not use the linux community TILE code in any way. They do not rely on the TILE support of Linux at all.

Could it possibly be that they're moving to something that isn't GPL licensed?

Just saying, there are options that aren't Linux.

cheeze
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:04 pm

Mikrotik, please please please please.

Leave the development of *NEW* features/things/whatnot out of ROS 6 now. Please, move the developers out of ROS 6 feature development and have them go to ROS 7 development. Bugfixes should still keep going on ROS 6 as they are going now (if possible).

There needs to be a harder development push towards ROS 7. If there's nothing else to develop for ROS 7 (which I have high doubts on as I know more and more features are being added to it all the time), then can we please get a glimpse of how things are going with it. I think we can all more or less surmize that Mikrotik is probably building an entirely new routing stack from scratch and that it is taking far more amounts of time than anyone ever expected. As much as it is feasible, can more people be thrown at developing ROS 7 instead of adding more features to ROS 6?

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:43 pm

Déjà vu?

Don't we remember the transition years between the version 5 and 6?

dynek
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:51 pm

Well if they say they backported most (all ?) v7 functionalities into v6, I don't really see a problem here.

mistry7
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:28 pm

Well if they say they backported most (all ?) v7 functionalities into v6, I don't really see a problem here.
The problem is the old kernel ROS 6 based on, there much improvements only possible with newer kernel.
And we will see ROS 7 with 4.xx Kernel when Linus Towards launch Kernel 5.xx, happens probably this summer....

And the delay will getting bigger.
All new products with IPQ have driver throughput problems, Mikrotik works with a back ported driver, it would be easier to use the origin one,
but it is only available for newer kernels...
here the delay takes its toll

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:12 pm

All new products with IPQ have driver throughput problems, Mikrotik works with a back ported driver, it would be easier to use the origin one,
but it is only available for newer kernels...
here the delay takes its toll
It becomes more clear that the kernel has been so heavily modified that it is not so easy to upgrade it anymore.
This is of course always a tough decision: do you limit the kernel changes and try to forward them to the kernel development group, which will cause a lot of wasted time due to discussion about how to implement some feature, or do you just "fork" the kernel based on some version uptodate at that time, causing the problem there is now.
On the other hand, when you do all the work on a forked kernel, you are not affected by decisions like the dropping of TILE support in the kernel.