Community discussions

MikroTik App

Circuitsoft
just joined
Topic Author

Feature Request: DHCP OPTION over L2TP

Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:13 pm

I would like to push some static routes over an L2TP connection to a Windows machine.

Here is a method on Linux:
http://serverfault.com/questions/574121 ... during-con

It uses dnsmasq as a DHCP server, and when the windows client does a DHCPINFORM over the L2TP tunnel, it returns the DHCP Options with the static routes. I would like the ability to do the same on MikroTik. Is that possible?

soosp

Re: Feature Request: DHCP OPTION over L2TP

Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:02 am

+1

trapdoor123
just joined

Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:14 pm

This is essential to make L2TP/IPSec tunnels usable by non-technical users. We just need to be able to attach a DHCP server to a PPP interface somehow and I think that should do the trick. The rest of the capability of the DHCP options etc are already there.

idlemind
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:14 am

Alternatively, if your client is Windows 10 you can use PowerShell command-lets to add routes to each VPN connection that are automatically toggled on and off with the VPN interface.
Add-VpnConnectionRoute
Remove-VpnConnectionRoute
While it's not specifically what you are looking to do it is a viable solution to the problem of reliably adding or removing routes from client operating systems. Sadly, that part was never standardized with any of the VPN approaches. I don't know if that's because everyone wanted to have VPN client lock-in or if back in the day they thought the only viable reason to have a VPN would be to tunnel all traffic back to the VPN server.