Community discussions

MikroTik App

Stubbed
just joined
Topic Author

Backport working LTE devices from ROS7 to ROS6?

Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:06 pm

Looking through this: http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Supported ... _LTE_cards

A lot of the cards/usb devices that are available easily are only supported on ROS7. I'm not interested in getting into a discussion when ROS7 will be ready, but what's the possibility that whatever has been done in the LTE package to support some of these cards in ROS7 be backported to ROS6?

Searching for the particular device I wanted to use (K5150) on here have found a few threads of people who want to use it but aren't able too, but it works in ROS7, my backup was a Sierra wireless MC73xx MiniPCI-e card, but that's also listed as tested on ROS7 as well.

Really wanting to use Mikrotik devices for a large off-grid project I'm about to embark on, I'm sure there would be value for others if this was done.

Stubbed
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Backport working LTE devices from ROS7 to ROS6?

Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:45 pm

Apologies, just released I should have posted this here.

hedele

Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:00 pm

From what I gather, those devices cannot be supported in ROS 6 due to missing kernel support (the kernel in ROS 6 is pretty old). Backporting modules to an operating system that essentially has an expiry date already printed on is not really a useful way for Mikrotik to spend their resources. Why don't you use LTE modems that are supported in ROS 6, like the Huawei ME909s or try to locate old stock of the Sierra MC77xx series? I am also anxiously waiting for more LTE module support in RouterOS, but the currently supported models work just fine. Where are you located? At least in the EU those Huawei cards are pretty easy to come by.

Stubbed
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:20 pm

Ahhh. That's the first time I've heard/read that it's the kernel that's the issue. Understand that's not obviously something you backport.

I'm in NZ. Not so straight forward to get hold of things for testing purposes, I can end up with $1k of devices I can't use. Most of the ones easily accessible to me aren't on the supported hardware list.

Neilson
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:48 pm

Hey Stubbed

I am very excited to see some confirmations appearing in the hardware list that ROS7 is far enough along to be testing network over these new modules. Many of the drivers that Mikrotik have been able to add already had kernel modules / drivers build for the older kernel and Mikrotik were able to just pull them in.

For newer kernels often some of these get pulled into mainline kernel so we get them "automagically". In 2012 Mikrotik announced they were using Kernel 3.3.5+ so if you find a module number and check online you may find they already have provided a kernel module driver for that hardware. Send that link into Mikrotik support and they may be able to add it into an RC release for you to test against and see if its stable.

For New Zealand Vodafone and to a lesser extend Telecom (Spark) and 2Degrees older 3G sticks use supported modules (some even supported back in ROS5 versions but most in ROS6). A number of companies often have these old sticks thrown into draws / boxes and often you can see them sold on Trade Me. I keep a couple of old ones in my spare parts kit as an emergency.

I don't have the pics / modules with me to show which ones I have tested but you may be able to ask around family and friends if they have any lying around you could borrow and test. Then once you know the models you can grab some for when needed.

An advantage of some of the older ones is they seemed to more often have the antenna ports on them that can be hooked up and used in DC's or other locations where signal may be crappy.

Regards
Alexander

Stubbed
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:13 am

Appreciate your reply Neilson.

I've unfortunately had to use Huawei B315's for my project. Unfortunate circumstances as I've lost a lot of functionally but my timelines didn't line up with waiting for RIOS7.