Community discussions

MikroTik App

th0massin0
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Feature request: Hairpin NAT more simple

Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:36 pm

ok, I know that it's possible to make it by hand, but IMHO it should be more simple like checkbox in dst-nat rule.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Feature request: Hairpin NAT more simple

Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:27 pm

What exactly should this checkbox stand for? For a whole complex set of rules that everyone uses in different ways?

th0massin0
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:15 am

Look at this: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/article_ ... iginal.png
... so it's possible to implement. Maybe the checkbox-idea isn't ideal for all possibilities, but the wizard like for hotspot setup should be more universal.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:11 pm

I understand you. Nice picture. Easy to tick on or off, as you wish. Everyone can understand what is wan and what is lan and nothing more is needed. Everything is hidden in background. You do not know what will happen to each single packet under what conditions and so. Hairpin. Just yes or no. But that is not how complex networks operate. Well, maybe it could be done so in quickset in one single standard way realated to default config, for those that never touch any other part of menu than quickset. It might be working under such condition.

But the normal world is not so easy and schematic. There are many wans, many lans, some peering networks around, tunnels here and there, something should be natted, something routed untouched, something should be reflected back by hairpin... very complicated for other than "home ap" routing mode.

I am known here not to be a fan of quickset, but saying now:

Yes I am with him. Mikrotik, please, put the hairpin single tickbox into quickset and let me to remove the quickset fully from my devices!

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:16 pm

Yes I am with him. Mikrotik, please, put the hairpin single tickbox into quickset and let me remove the quickset fully from my devices!
I agree with you that quickset should be made a separate package that can be removed, or some checkbox in the system menu can
be ticked to remove quickset from the landing page.  It is too dangerous to have there lurking all the time.
Also, it could be a good idea to expand quickset with options as described here, maybe transforming it into the "KISS" config found on
most customer routers.  But I fear that this is only possible when the full configuration options are made unavailable when quickset
is enabled.

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:16 pm

I agree with jarda!

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:21 pm

What if e.g. RB2011 is used with two separate public addresses and one switch group has its own WAN and LAN interfaces and the second switch ports group has different WAN and LAN ports ?
How to choose WAN1 and WAN2 for particular LAN1 and LAN2 ?

th0massin0
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:54 pm

I believe, that for Mikrotik devs the impossible tasks just doesn't exist ;) . Look for example at complexity of hotspot wizard.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:10 pm

Everything is possible, only the resources are scarce so their utilisation needs to be optimised by priority...

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:25 pm

Hairpin NAT is simple. It's not check box simple but we need something to justify the MTCNA's and RE's.

It's a 1 liner in dst-nat and then you just need to make sure you create your port forwards properly.

mark73
just joined

Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:37 am

I believe, that for Mikrotik devs the impossible tasks just doesn't exist ;)
ROS7
*SCNR*