Community discussions

Sonnix
just joined

Re: RouterOS v7.0 beta1 - when?

Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:47 pm

Since there is no v7 can we get a road map for udp support for openvpn which was requested 10 years ago? Or multi-thread BGP? Or for any other similar request? Because in threads like that we get an answer that it will be added in v7. So we start asking for v7. And now we get an answer that there is no v7. You see the problem here? Either give a road map for features or for v7 with the list of features to expect. Or if it's going to be another 10 years of waiting at least tell us that we should not expect any improvements any time soon so that we can move to another brand. Right now answers "it will be included in v7" or "we are working on it" hold no value at this point as as we hear them for 10 years and nothing changes.

Also some of the features can be solved if there was support for metarouter, containers or something similar for new devices.

dynek
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:51 pm

Forget about OpenVPN, go straight to Wireguard :-)

connorgoodwolf
just joined

Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:58 pm

We should email the executives of the company starting with Mr. Tully.

John Tully - CEO
tully@mikrotik.com

If people can provide contact information for the other executives then the rest of the community would be exceptionally appreciative.

I've sent Mr. Tully the following,
Mr Tully,

I'm writing you due to a conversation on the forum which clearly indicates there's no transparency or any plan for RouterOS v7. Many Mikrotik support staff and developers have made statements "v7 will come out soon" many years ago.

Mikrotik's software is rotting, we all know this, there's BGP issues, lack of proper OpenVPN support, lack of supporting standards like VXLAN and so on.

The community would be appreciative if the build tools could be released for building the base kernel + tools used to create a custom empty firmware. I'd be interested in driving a community effort. Mikrotik makes great hardware, I've been mikrotik for almost a decade, but the community needs to be the driving factor for the software.
Connor Goodwolf | IOWolf LLC | +1 412-423-8779
Technology Consultant | MikroTik Enthusiast | LinkedIn

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:50 pm

We should email the executives of the company starting with Mr. Tully.
Good idea. Write us the result...
LAN, FTTx, Wireless. ISP operator

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:07 am

We have not advertised v7 as a version. The first post in this forum thread is by a user.
Normis:
Your post from 08Jan 2015 - v7 is currently in internal testing, and will be released as beta when it's stable enough
Your post from 06 Feb 2015 - We will release a beta, when it will exist. Currently v7 is in alpha stage, many functions are not completed and non functional. Beta needs at least all functions to be somewhat operational.

This topic about V7 was created itself?

And now you say V7 is not a version? Are you kidding?
I understand you can not say anything, but do not make fun of us at all

whitbread
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:45 am

Sry Mikrotik - your public relations behaviour is a total desaster when it comes to this topic.
This is a user forum. So I don‘t expect u guys to do the right thing nor do I expect that u even know the truth. We all know that here and there especially software projects might end in a desaster. In combination with the announcement years ago there is a dramatic chance, that ur development is lost in space, i.e. will never been finished.
This would be a desaster for the community but it will hit others even more if their business is based on your products.
Answering ‚it will be ready when its ready‘ is not an option anymore after years of ‚coming soon‘ answers. But this is again something I would expect to be dealt with by you board. So there must be anything more serious than ‚alpha status‘, ‚coming soon‘, ‚not ready yet‘. If you are lost in space and don‘t believe you gonna make it shortly - plz tell us. This will be the better option and will let u determine the right action to be taken.

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:50 am

Sry Mikrotik - your public relations behaviour is a total desaster when it comes to this topic.
This is a user forum. So I don‘t expect u guys to do the right thing nor do I expect that u even know the truth. We all know that here and there especially software projects might end in a desaster. In combination with the announcement years ago there is a dramatic chance, that ur development is lost in space, i.e. will never been finished.
This would be a desaster for the community but it will hit others even more if their business is based on your products.
Answering ‚it will be ready when its ready‘ is not an option anymore after years of ‚coming soon‘ answers. But this is again something I would expect to be dealt with by you board. So there must be anything more serious than ‚alpha status‘, ‚coming soon‘, ‚not ready yet‘. If you are lost in space and don‘t believe you gonna make it shortly - plz tell us. This will be the better option and will let u determine the right action to be taken.
All unfixed Problems with ROS, where we get the answer, „will be fixed in ROS7“ show us how Mikrotik cares about there costumers, we decided last year to not buy Mikrotik Wireless anymore because of ARM NV2 Issue, what looks like it fixed now. (first issues told to support on Xmas 2017. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=128916&p=633371&hil ... v2#p633371 -to now, so it is about 13 month for this fix) and in all this time nothing as information so I think it is not possible to do serious Business with Mikrotik.

Same with Spectral Scan, missing since 2014 in ac based Devices (now with over brand on our network we see how much pain it is to miss this feature)
Same with IPv6 PPP delegated Prefix (we wait for 6 years I believe)
Same with Open VPN UDP support (we wait for more then 10 years)
Wave 2 support until Mikrotik is selling Wave 2 Hardware for more then A year now,
The next Standart is right on the corner, and support for the actually one is not Given...

But this is a think we don’t care anymore, there are overs with software that has this features.

We will run out of IPv4 Adresses this year so we need a working IPv6 Solution, but I don’t
believe Mikrotik get this ready this years, so we need to look around for our Routing and PPPoE Srvers beside Mikrotik

Mistry7

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:12 am

We have not advertised v7 as a version. The first post in this forum thread is by a user.
Normis:
Your post from 08Jan 2015 - v7 is currently in internal testing, and will be released as beta when it's stable enough
Your post from 06 Feb 2015 - We will release a beta, when it will exist. Currently v7 is in alpha stage, many functions are not completed and non functional. Beta needs at least all functions to be somewhat operational.

This topic about V7 was created itself?

And now you say V7 is not a version? Are you kidding?
I understand you can not say anything, but do not make fun of us at all
Nothing has changed from that time. Please suggest what answer you wanted to hear.
No answer to your question? How to write posts

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:22 am

Nothing has changed from that time. Please suggest what answer you wanted to hear.
We are not able to do Business decisions with a maybe or "in near future"

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:23 am

Assume 'never', until other announcement is made. Why are you trying to speculate a release date for something that will not be stable when released?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:02 am

The problem is that the delay has been so long and the expectations have gone op so high that it has become almost impossible to release something that will not cause a lot of criticism.
You should just have made a v7 with new kernel at some time (already enough work to forward-port all customizations that apparently have been done on the kernel), first as a "development" release then later as some form of beta, and then work from that new base to introduce new features that require the new kernel similar like how new features are introduced in the 6.x version.
Probably while keeping development on 6.x (by backporting new features that do not require the new kernel) for some time until the new platform is considered "stable".
But now you can't do that anymore because when you now release a v7 that is just a 6.44 with new kernel there will be a large uproar.
And there is no need to continue development of an "all new v7 with new routing engine and this and that and that" and release it as a single new version, because you will never be able to make that happen in a company without unlimited resources and while continuing support of a version 6. It will always remain a back-burner project that gets too little attention.
(which it now has been for about 7 years)

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:06 am

Very good response pe1chl, you are getting it.

Anyway, I am just trying to keep expectations mild. Most development is done on v6, as you can see from all the new features, fixes and huge changelogs.

genesispro
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:48 am

out of curiosity...
which are the key features that the new kernel has that they cannot use at the moment in this kernel?

In other words what would make a big difference (feature or improvement) and CANNOT be implemented in the current kernel?

I am not questioning, I am wondering

Sonnix
just joined

Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:48 pm

If release date for v7 is 'never' than the answer we wanted to hear is the release date for every requested feature. Or if there is no release date and we should not expect it in near future then we wanted to hear an answer 'never' for that feature instead 'it well be in v7'. Just stop mentioning v7 in feature requests if there is no v7.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:52 pm

It is not never. I suggested to stop worrying about it and use v6.
About the features, which features do you need? Remember that MikroTik does not implement features by demand. It might not be feasible or possible to make something. Everything has to be evaluated individually.

onnoossendrijver

Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:25 pm

The only feature that makes me sometimes buy from the other guys is ipsec with VTI support. So please implement this :)
Linux/network engineer: ITIL, LPI1, CCNA R+S, CCNP R+S, JNCIA, JNCIS-SEC

Sonnix
just joined

Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:55 pm

About the features, which features do you need? Remember that MikroTik does not implement features by demand. It might not be feasible or possible to make something. Everything has to be evaluated individually.
The feature I'm personally interested in is udp support for openvpn which was requested in 2008. It's not even a new feature just an extension of existing one. It was never stated that it is not feasible or possible.
Instead we get answers like this:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26499&start=100#p617477

Should we consider such answers an 'never' now? Or will some reasonable timeline be given for this feature instead of promised v7?

paoloaga
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:49 pm

For my company IPv6 recursive lookup, faster routing table updates (BGP/full view) and IPv6 route reflection are really important.

(edit: forgot one feature).

telcouk
just joined

Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:44 pm

For ourselves it would be:
IPv6: iBGP with OSPFv3 using loopback addresses (OSPFv3 uses link local addresses which is breaking things).
BGP: Faster routing table updates

patrick7
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:19 pm

Also things like delete-bgp-communities, which is probably a 3 liner of code.
But due to some strange reasons MikroTik refuses to touch any routing daemon (exceptions are made for serious bugs).

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:45 pm

As a WISP - I'm primarily interested in wireless so I'm interested about spectral scan on AC. And wave2 support?
Will we wait for it in version 6.x or wait for the V7 that will never come?

schadom
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:42 pm

+1 for increased BGP performance and security:
- faster routing table updates !!!
- faster route matching (via /ip route print where x)
- RPKI ROV support (see https://rpki.realmv6.org)

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:01 pm

... when you now release a v7 that is just a 6.44 with new kernel there will be a large uproar.
As many other people, I also expect that when v7 comes out, my router will be able to do anything I've ever dreamed of and more, and make me a coffee on top of that (without any additional hardware required, that's how great will v7 be).

But realistically, just kernel update without anything else would be reason to celebrate. Not that users need it that much (they don't need to care about what's inside, as long as it does everything they need), but lack of new kernel was given as a reason by MikroTik several times, why some feature can't be implemented, so it would remove one important obstacle.
People who quote full posts should be spanked with ethernet cable. Some exceptions for multi-topic threads may apply.

doush
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:33 pm

How come new high-performance tilera replacement products can come without the new kernel ?
I dont think many modern CPUs supports the ancient mikrotik kernel nowadays.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:52 pm

... when you now release a v7 that is just a 6.44 with new kernel there will be a large uproar.
As many other people, I also expect that when v7 comes out, my router will be able to do anything I've ever dreamed of and more, and make me a coffee on top of that (without any additional hardware required, that's how great will v7 be).
The point is that many new features have been postponed for many many years "until v7" even when they do not require a new kernel at all!
(e.g. a complete implementation of OpenVPN, which can run on much older kernels than is now in v6, or better IPv6 functionality)

v7 has become synonymous with "able to do anything I've ever dreamed of and more, and make me a coffee on top of that" mostly due to those repeated replies to feature requests.
And I think many users have not read that as "ok first we have v7 and that brings us a new platform to build new features in later 7.x versions".
No, they now fully expect that version 7.0 will include all those "will be done in v7" features, making it a huge development effort and almost impossible to get right.

telcouk
just joined

Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:07 pm

There is obviously a huge stumbling block as to why a kernel upgrade has not happened, either in a 6.x version or the unicorn v7.

Let’s not forget that Mikrotik is mostly made up of open source software, maybe one or more elements can’t be upgraded to a more recent kernel?

My guess is that it’s fast path / fast track… They both rely on the route cache, which isn’t available in more recent kernels.

Paternot
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:13 pm

There is obviously a huge stumbling block as to why a kernel upgrade has not happened, either in a 6.x version or the unicorn v7.

Let’s not forget that Mikrotik is mostly made up of open source software, maybe one or more elements can’t be upgraded to a more recent kernel?

My guess is that it’s fast path / fast track… They both rely on the route cache, which isn’t available in more recent kernels.
Mikrotik writes its own drivers, and maintains its own kernel patches to the Tile CPUs. It is open to discussion if this is a good decision, but I don't know enough (both of the internals of Mikrotik business and of driver development) to have an informed opinion.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:57 pm

Ive written my letter to Tully CEO.
It says.
"Don't listen to all these yahoos on the forum that whine about v7. Keep providing stable secure releases with the fixes that can be managed with the resources you have. Regardless of the brand of networking equipment, there is always a huge crowd of unsatiated users demanding more. The challenge is to maintain focus and keep abreast of actual changes in standards.
If and when you wish to relocate Mikrotik to Canada, I will help as best I can. I have a tent on our property and we are painting Normis's name on it."
I'd rather manage rats than software. Follow my advice at your own risk! (Sob & mkx forced me to write that!)

buset1974
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:48 am

Very good response pe1chl, you are getting it.

Anyway, I am just trying to keep expectations mild. Most development is done on v6, as you can see from all the new features, fixes and huge changelogs.
some cases promise fix on v7 are not fix yet on v6 thought.
BGP withdraw on PE-CE, OSPF NSSA, etc.

Please fix the issue without waiting for v7.

Problem above are not cosmetic features, you're product are world wide used now, not just as CPE but also PE or CORE and those issues already known years.
Last edited by buset1974 on Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PtDragon
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:00 am

normis, Some months ago i suggested that your company can post small monthly updates(just a little bit of info what progressed in last month for v7(roughly what you worked at last month), any of developers can do that in just some minutes).
Because right now all we know that is that you work on something and its not ready yet.
Correct me if i'm wrong but it looks like an easy thing to do.

P.S. I really wait much for new queue types for easier latency management.
CCR1036-12G-4S +6x100Mbit ^_^

jimmer
just joined

Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:24 am

I too second the faster and more secure BGP updates as well as better handling of multi core devices with respect to routing and filter rules.

Since 7.0 has become the Duke Nukem Forever of the RouterOS world maybe skip straight to RouterOS X (10) so the stigma of the Neverending release date can be put to bed :)

I do like where development is heading but I do feel that RouterOS is getting a little behind the competition, go back a few years and it was definitely leading, I will be sticking with RouterOS, I wont be returning to the Cisco camp (since i've replaced all of our Cisco kit now) but Mikrotik does need to prove it's willing to challenge the competitors, the 6.x tree is slipping - it's now 7 years old.

Kind Regards,
Jim.

joegoldman

Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:57 am

THE GOOD NEWS IS, that once RouterOS is brought up to date on 4.x kernel - it should be a fairly straight run to keep it updated. The Linux Kernels are not feature releases, meaning the diff between 4.20 and 5.0 is just patches, not a huge new architecture or anything. We just gotta make this one big jump and hopefully smooth sailing.

However another thing I'm really keen for - and I'm not sure if this was an old kernel limitation or not - is proper /31 support. I'd love to use /31's for PtP without muck-about rules and static routes.

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:27 pm

maybe skip straight to RouterOS X (10)
But for now it's RouterOS 9 ("Nein" in German) :lol:
Russian-speaking forum: https://forum.mikrotik.by/. Welcome!

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

MikroTik. Your life. Your routing.

ofer

Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:42 pm

maybe skip straight to RouterOS X (10)
But for now it's RouterOS 9 ("Nein" in German) :lol:
Don't worry you'll have RouterOS 7 soon enough.. (when pigs will fly)

buset1974
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:04 pm

Hi,

When RouterOS v7 beta1 is gonna to be released?
This is the first question from this thread in 2015.
now is 2019, next year is 2020

thx

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:40 pm

Ages are not ending by 2020.

TimurA
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:10 pm

Ages are not ending by 2020.
someone may not live :D

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:45 am

May not... But others will be borned.

Paternot
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:46 am

May not... But others will be borned.
The cycle of RoS?

borisk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:35 pm

Guys, what are you arguing about? Everyone of us knows the v7 release date. Really. Just a mathematics. We are at 6.44 now. Each release requires 3-4 months. So.... 700 - 644 = 56 release cycles. 56 * 4 / 12 = 18,(6) years. So, the year 2037 will be year of 7.00 release!

P.S. Don't thank

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:05 pm

Fortunately for us, it's not regular number but version number, it has different rules (which means no rules at all, total anarchy :)).
People who quote full posts should be spanked with ethernet cable. Some exceptions for multi-topic threads may apply.

anthonws
just joined

Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:19 am

Context: Long time (home) user, lurking in the forums, enjoying reading change logs and all the advancement that Mikrotik is doing.

Perspective on the topic: I can see that Mikrotik could definitely improve their marketing and messaging around the roadmap of their products and the future investments.
In the current era, customer engagement is for sure a very deep and important part of any company. Specially when it's aligned to innovation.
Customers often invest more in a vision, and a partnership, than actually a change log or a vain/shallow promise of something that is totally unclear and not transparent.
I'm sure everyone that is sticking around knows that Mikrotik is a commercial company, and therefore needs to be profitable, and that resources are not unlimited, but customer engagement (like stated above) is (in my perspective) vital.
So, in essence, albeit the fact that it's important to follow standards and not investing in areas that are not aligned to what the industry is doing, would it hurt to create focus groups, composed by your most trusted and recognized customers (WISP, trainers, architects, etc.) and get feedback flowing into the community? "It's ready when it will be ready" doesn't provide your customers the trust and openness that they expect.
Sharing something (that doesn't compromise your IP and competitive edge) with the community, even if saying in bold letters "Dates are subject to change", is a growing, and quite common, practice.
There are several successful projects out there that do it in a very intelligent way, without requiring a horde of resources, and the benefits are quite visible.
Remember that it's all about the journey. I'm sure that 99% of the people still sticking around and replying in this forum, they are here simply because they care. Because they once believed in Mikrotik's "Why".
Although it's vital not to lose your eye on the "Why", it's still of upmost importante to make sure you explain the "What" and "How" properly.

My 2 cents,
anthonws.

hugleo

Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:32 pm

/31 support

rupeshkafle
just joined

Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:31 pm

About features, due to adaptation of IPv6, IPv6 route marking should be implemented ASAP. Also recursive routing should be supported for easy implementation of BGP on IPv6.

ofer

Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:07 pm

Guys, what are you arguing about? Everyone of us knows the v7 release date. Really. Just a mathematics. We are at 6.44 now. Each release requires 3-4 months. So.... 700 - 644 = 56 release cycles. 56 * 4 / 12 = 18,(6) years. So, the year 2037 will be year of 7.00 release!

P.S. Don't thank
my estimation is 1 - 2 years

plankanater
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:14 am

would love BGP information sent via SNMP

crcro
just joined

Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:41 pm

please fix bgp issues now ... no more v7 please! working with mikrotik routers several years now and i try to use them as little as possible when bgp is needed!

no info about bgp in snmp
slow search in routing table
slow prefix/filter list updates

even on high end routers like CCR*!

what is the reason for high memory and high cpu count if you can use them properly?!

Takv
just joined

Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:48 am

RouterOS v7 MUST include stable x86-64 architecture for PC. New and old ethernet drivers compatibility, and/or the ability to install custom drivers from linux repositories.

Regards.

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:50 pm

RouterOS v7 MUST include stable x86-64 architecture for PC. New and old ethernet drivers compatibility, and/or the ability to install custom drivers from linux repositories.
You forgot "make me a coffee" button.
Russian-speaking forum: https://forum.mikrotik.by/. Welcome!

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

MikroTik. Your life. Your routing.

Takv
just joined

Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:01 pm

You forgot "make me a coffee" button.
You're right, but lot of people concerns (including me) about the x86-x64 PC support through the forums. So we need a real "official" industrial coffee machine for all.