Community discussions

joegoldman

Re: RouterOS v7.0 beta1 - when?

Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:07 pm

After these years, I do not expect any serious answers to come from the Mikrotik. .... Ubiquity is much more flexible in communication ... another region, another morality
I've been forced into ubiquiti for Wireless gear (PtMP Sector -> CPE networks), comfortably finding 27dbi, 29dbi dishes , 20+dbi sectors and a functioning proprietary high-speed AC protocol beat out Mikrotik systems - but FUCK ME if Ubiquity's management tools are absolute shit compared to Mikrotik / Winbox - talking purely over 500+ms links here my ubiquity web-portals are constantly timing out, where I can manage my RB1100's spread out over the same country fine (still use Mikrotik for routing and PPP termination).

wispmikrotik
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:28 am

2019?

ofer

Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:57 am

2019?
Router OS v7 is never going to happen.

wispmikrotik
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:29 pm

2019?
Router OS v7 is never going to happen.
Well ... so let's get routeros v8.0.0 ...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

mrmut
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:58 am

Maybe they will release v13 out of joke. :-)

Numbering doesn't matter, I am happy with them as it is.

Vitis
just joined

Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:12 am

Numbering doesn't matter, I am happy with them as it is.
Are you also happy with VRF implementation? :wink:

mrmut
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:31 am

I had to google VRF to see what it is, so I guess the current implementation is just fine by me :-)

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:41 am

Well today the numbering is usually enforced by marketeers and it could well be that a next release suddenly is called "2019" or whatever symbolic name.
But I agree that it is quite unlikely that we will ever see a version 7. There will undoubtedly be some creative move to work around that.

cgood

Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:28 pm

unsubscribe ...
  • MTCNA 99% '17
    MTCRE 89% '17
    MTCTCE 89% '18

enzain
just joined

Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:48 am

When?

We need multicore BGP (different peers connections on diffirent cores is minimum)

NAT64, DNS64, etc

Full OVPN support (compression, UDP)

etc.

enzain
just joined

Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:49 am

When?

Minimum - is multicore BGP

connorgoodwolf
just joined

Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:26 pm

Many are exceptionally disappointed at MikroTik's transparency on the release of RouterOS v7.0.

If MikroTik is unwilling to be transparent at the very least they could do is help RouterOS become Open Source so those who care about the platform can assist in development. Many of us have the skills needed and are willing to sign agreements with vendors to help push Mikrotik ahead.

Currently Mikrotik's lack of a roadmap, transparency, implementing standards like VXLAN which is documented by IETF in RFC 7348 is causing Mikrotik adoption to slow and companies are starting to choose competing products like ubiquity. Releasing new hardware isn't "helping" adoption, so please refrain from making statements like, "We're releasing new technology."

The ball is on your court MikroTik:
1) Choose to be transparent
2) Choose to work on Open Sourcing RouterOS
3) Continue the nose dive, destroy the company
Connor Goodwolf | IOWolf LLC | +1 412-423-8779
Technology Consultant | MikroTik Enthusiast | LinkedIn

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:12 pm

What do you mean? We have been very open about it.

V7 is not ready for public release, however, development continues. When it will be released? When it's stable enough. That's all.
No answer to your question? How to write posts

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:31 pm

3) Continue the nose dive, destroy the company
"MikroTik. Destroying the company since 1999. For 20 years already." (c) :lol:

P.S. OMG! RouterOS is 20 years old this year?!? What's the exact date?
Russian-speaking forum: https://forum.mikrotik.by/. Welcome!

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

MikroTik. Your life. Your routing.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:35 pm

Only RouterOS v2, but there was another one.
1995	Arnis and John start to provide Internet services to local businesses.
	Wireless network project in Moldova.
1996	SIA “Mikrotīkls” is incorporated. The name means “Small network” in the Latvian language.
1997	Starting work on a routing utility, which then is a MS-DOS program and is called “Tik” software system.
	PC routers based on 2.4GHz Aironet platforms IC2200.
1999	Installations in Kosovo and the first Linux based RouterOS v2.0

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:52 pm

So, the first version of RouterOS was RouterOS 2.0, that's why I'm asking :)
Russian-speaking forum: https://forum.mikrotik.by/. Welcome!

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

MikroTik. Your life. Your routing.

boldsuck
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:50 pm

If MikroTik is unwilling to be transparent at the very least they could do is help RouterOS become Open Source so those who care about the platform can assist in development. Many of us have the skills needed and are willing to sign agreements with vendors to help push Mikrotik ahead.
Yes, then the Mikrotik hardware would finally openWRT friendly.
For our "Freifunk" projects in Germany, we mostly use / recommend AP's from Ubiquity or TP-Link. Every DAU can flash openWRT on it. Both companies are very community friendly. Sources per ftp downloadable. To send on CD as Mikrotik, is a nasty joke. ;-)
╰_╯ Ciao Marco!

connorgoodwolf
just joined

Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:08 am

What do you mean? We have been very open about it.
Can you please define the definition of transparency? I'll save you some time, "the quality or state of being transparent".

All you have told us since 2015 goes along the lines of "v7 is currently in internal testing, and will be released as beta when it's stable enough"

I don't like being direct, but what Mikrotik is doing to people who've spent years around Mikrotik hardware, certifications and dedication is wrong. You're hurting not only Mikrotik by not being transparent or forthcoming, you're hurting us.

Items YOU need to address:
1) A graph or document indicating the current status of RouterOS v7.0, even if the features are in flux.
2) Missing standards which will not be targeted in RouterOS v7.0, i.e. VXLAN
3) Update the community with facts and projections on current development

This whole situation would be made easier if Mikrotik had a developer program to work on an open source side project. It would not be hard to set up a lab, virtualization platform or real testing hardware for those who want to be serious about contributing.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:40 am

Those are subjects to change. I don't want to promise anything and later tell you that we decided to remove something, or similar.

vecernik87
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:44 pm

Hey guys, stop harassing Mikrotik about V7 :D It is a good topic for jokes but bad choice for serious discussion.
I am not a blind fan, but in this case, @normis is right. Anyone, who ever did a continuous development, knows that specifying future dates of release is a suicide. If you don't make it on time, everyone will complain (and it will be legit because promise was not delivered). If you rush it and make mistake/bug, everyone will complain (and it will be legit because even a simple bug can cost business millions).
Can't you be just happy that there are free updates which not only fix security holes but also improve functionality? And you can get all of that with device prices starting at $50?

In addition, demanding things this way is a bit ridiculous: "what mikrotik is doing ... is wrong" , "you need to address". Cmon... are you a shareholder or what? :lol:
Ubiquity is much more flexible in communication
Yeah. They flexibly told me that their products will misbehave if power is lost unexpectedly and the only solution is factory reset and restore from backup. Unfortunately I am stuck with them on three hospitality sites...

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:32 am

I think the idea is that after years in development, it should be slowly shaping up and they should be getting some rough idea what it will contain and when it might come out. This very thread is four years old, and third post already mentions the "codename" unicorn. And that popped up only after some time of waiting, when people started to think that it maybe takes a little bit too long. And again, that was four years ago. I wanted to add "when I was still young", but it hasn't been that long, my chances to see RouterOS v7 are still good. :D
People who quote full posts should be spanked with ethernet cable. Some exceptions for multi-topic threads may apply.

connorgoodwolf
just joined

Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:59 am

Those are subjects to change. I don't want to promise anything and later tell you that we decided to remove something, or similar.
This is apart of the development process, many of us are the people who build complete platforms and architectures from the ground up. Even if a timeline or development status stated there was work on a specific feature which was later removed during a release then people would be enthralled there's at least some level of transparency.

Nobody is saying "promise us this," if you're working on an idea/feature/standard which doesn't make the cut then we may be a bit disappointed but it's better than "we're working on it"

connorgoodwolf
just joined

Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:02 am

Yeah. They flexibly told me that their products will misbehave if power is lost unexpectedly and the only solution is factory reset and restore from backup. Unfortunately I am stuck with them on three hospitality sites...
All network equipment should have UPS units with AVR, to not have conditioning and backup power supplies attached to radio and networking equipment is asking for trouble.

zandhaas

Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:55 pm

Can't you be just happy that there are free updates which not only fix security holes but also improve functionality? And you can get all of that with device prices starting at $50?

Totally agree :!: :!:

telcouk
just joined

Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:31 pm

Without sounding harsh, I think you would have been better off not telling us about v7 if that's the case.

We would not have invested in Mikrotik kit and would have a fully working IPv6 setup by now.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:53 pm

We have not advertised v7 as a version. The first post in this forum thread is by a user.
MikroTik only mentions v7 if there is some feature, that can't be implemented because of kernel limitations. In that case, it's technically not possible to make something until we have new kernel.

Other than that, have we told you there will be a v7 soon?

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:06 pm

You didn't, but since the first time someone from MikroTik said "sorry, feature X is not possible now, it needs new kernel", the clock started ticking in users' heads. It's mix of optimism and trust, they (want to) believe that you want to give them the best and the right time for that is now, or at least soon. :)
People who quote full posts should be spanked with ethernet cable. Some exceptions for multi-topic threads may apply.

Jotne
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:12 pm

We have not advertised v7 as a version.
No??
Who created the subforum with the name RouterOS v6 RC and v7 BETA?? A user :)

How to use Splunk to monitor your MikroTik Router

MikroTik->Splunk

telcouk
just joined

Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:21 pm

We have not advertised v7 as a version. The first post in this forum thread is by a user.
MikroTik only mentions v7 if there is some feature, that can't be implemented because of kernel limitations. In that case, it's technically not possible to make something until we have new kernel.

Just google, site:mum.mikrotik.com "v7"
Also what Jotne said.

#facepalm

connorgoodwolf
just joined

Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:34 pm

You know what would help fix this? Having an open source version of Mikrotik. Some of your users are the engineers who develop operating systems, have worked on various OSes including integrating code from KAME in to the BSD projects.

If there's a new kernel required, or a code in an existing kernel which needs to be modified, then perhaps this is the time to be transparent with the community.
Perhaps this is the time to engage the community and inquire if there's any interest in having a community driven project for Mikrotik hardware.

joegoldman

Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:28 am

The development going into 6.x is development FOR 7.x as well. A lot of the roadmapped features have been put into 6.x because of the delays 7.x brings. 7.x isnt going to suddenly have a heap of new features, 7.x will likely be the latest 6.x but on new kernel, and will take a few iterations to start getting new features that were otherwise impossible on the 6.x kernel - for instance my main feature request as of right now would be VRF aware management services and better VRF implementation over-all - my understanding is that this is a kernel limitation in 6.x, but i wont be expecting this feature in 7.0beta1, i'll probably not expect it till 7.5 or later, just because the first few iterations of 7.x will be just making sure everything runs as expected on new kernel.

Development is time. There's not an unlimited amount of developers working on this, and they are obviously still pumping out 6.x (230 odd changes/fixes in current changelog, massive!) so you just have to be patient - if you want massive company resources and promises, go spend massive dollars on Cisco/Juniper/whoever.

huntermic

Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:24 am

Fake News!

Sorry, this is the first thing that i think of when i read this crap.
You do sound a lot like Trump in this regard, you just can/will not tell the truth.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:33 am

Sorry to break the news to some of you, but the official stance has always been - use v6. We are working on v7, and it will be released when it will be ready.

huntermic

Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:49 am

Sorry to break the news to some of you, but the official stance has always been - use v6. We are working on v7, and it will be released when it will be ready.
Correct, that indeed is the thing you keep telling us.
The problem we have is that for many years now you refer to this V7 and there even is a subforum called V7Beta, this raises expectations that after many years turn into frustration

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:56 am

I can repeat again, we only refer to v7 if there is something that can't be implemented in v6 due to kernel limitations. It doesn't even mean v7 exists.

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:00 pm

Correct, that indeed is the thing you keep telling us.
The problem we have is that for many years now you refer to this V7 and there even is a subforum called V7Beta, this raises expectations that after many years turn into frustration
Developing on old Platforms often costs more ManPower then needed, there are so much changes in 4.xx Linux Kernel, why invest the time to back port them?
And it happend what i promise last year, Linux kernel is now at 5.00 and we don't see anything about ROS 7.......
We even don't know on that Kernel ROS 7 would be based.....but it would be outdated from the first day it released on....

huntermic

Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:07 pm

It doesn't even mean v7 exists.
In that case, please do not say V7 but instead say: Some version we might release in the (probably distant) future

nescafe2002
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:10 pm

In that case, please do not say V7 but instead say: Some version we might release in the (probably distant) future

Really?

huntermic

Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:12 pm

Really?
Why not, holds the same informational value: nothing

connorgoodwolf
just joined

Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:45 pm

ZERO TRANSPARENCY

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:46 pm

When is the new Tesla Y model coming out? What features will it have?

Which company, even the transparent ones, give you information about unreleased products?

connorgoodwolf
just joined

Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:51 pm

Elon has stated publicly the release of information about the model will come out around March 15.

When will we see a roadmap for v7?

connorgoodwolf
just joined

Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:52 pm

A lot of the roadmapped features have been put into 6.x because of the delays 7.x brings. 7.x isnt going to suddenly have a heap of new features, 7.x will likely be the latest 6.x but on new kernel
The current kernel needs quite a few modifications in order to accommodate much needed improvements.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:55 pm

Elon has stated publicly the release of information about the model will come out around March 15.
Before he said that. You didn't know about March 15, right?

OK so, please wait for a similar statement.

telcouk
just joined

Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:58 pm

We've been patiently waiting 5+ years :/

connorgoodwolf
just joined

Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:07 pm

How about you get the big boys at Mikrotik to the table so we can have an adult discussion?

You're only showing us how worthless the MikroTik training is since there is "no v7", no road map, nothing to show, no transparency and no engagement for the community who would gladly work on an community distribution (sort of like how people can load SwOS).

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:46 pm

@vecernik87
Hey guys, stop harassing Mikrotik about V7 :D It is a good topic for jokes but bad choice for serious discussion.
I am not a blind fan, but in this case, @normis is right. Anyone, who ever did a continuous development, knows that specifying future dates of release is a suicide. If you don't make it on time, everyone will complain (and it will be legit because promise was not delivered). If you rush it and make mistake/bug, everyone will complain (and it will be legit because even a simple bug can cost business millions).

In addition, demanding things this way is a bit ridiculous: "what mikrotik is doing ... is wrong" , "you need to address". Cmon... are you a shareholder or what? :lol:
Ubiquity is much more flexible in communication
Wait, isnt this poster the magic unicorn? Even the magic unicorn doesn't know when v7beta will come out and thus we are all being treated equally. By the way buset1974 is obviously a student of software engineering and knows of what he speaks, the rest of you yahoos are smart as whips but on big picture stuff not really. Anyway, the real question is what will happen first, v7Beta released or a fricken stable version of Apex Legends.........
I'd rather manage rats than software. Follow my advice at your own risk! (Sob & mkx forced me to write that!)

ofer

Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:15 pm

How about you get the big boys at Mikrotik to the table so we can have an adult discussion?

You're only showing us how worthless the MikroTik training is since there is "no v7", no road map, nothing to show, no transparency and no engagement for the community who would gladly work on an community distribution (sort of like how people can load SwOS).
Same here I'm willing to join forces towards a community driven project.

patrick7
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:16 pm

At least you can repair a broken tesla. But we can't repair RouterOS. BGP has been broken for 5+ years now and nobody knows when it will be fixed.
Oh, sorry, we do! It will be fixed with RouterOS v7 (tm)

connorgoodwolf
just joined

Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:25 pm

Same here I'm willing to join forces towards a community driven project.
I'd be interested as well. A community driven firmware could push MikroTik back in to the limelight, but as right now they're falling to the way side.