Community discussions

MikroTik App

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Feature Request: Wireless client profiles

Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:47 pm

It would be nice to be able to save preconfigured profiles for various access points and be able to switch between them easily from winbox.

I use hAP Lite as a 'portable router' strapped in the back of my laptop, powered by the laptop itself and use the ether1 and wlan1 as gateway interfaces to connect to the internet, wherever I am at the time, allowing me to have my 'portable firewall/vpn gateway' between my laptop and whatever insecure network I connect to.

So it would be useful to be able to save various wireless settings as 'profiles' (or whatever name is more appropriate) to be able to switch from one wireless network to the other as I move from place to place (where I already have been before and know/have already configured the wireless settings of course - I don't expect anything automatic).

Similar to what desktop and mobile OSes do by remembering to which networks they have been connected to before.
But I wouldn't want it to work that way since it's a kind of privacy issue (broadcasting all the networks you've ever connected to).
Manual switch between previously connected wireless networks would be great :)

The next step (for me) would be to write an app to be able to switch wireless networks from my desktop without even logging in to winbox :D

paoloaga
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Feature Request: Wireless client profiles

Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:25 am

You can already do that using scripts. You can prepare a script for every profile and then running the right one whenever you need it.

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Re: Feature Request: Wireless client profiles

Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:21 am

You can already do that using scripts. You can prepare a script for every profile and then running the right one whenever you need it.
Yes... but... waaay too cumbersome for quick adding/removing networks!

The use case I am asking this for, is for quick adding new 'wireless networks' as I move around to new locations. Then have those 'wireless networks settings' in place for when I re-visit each location to switch to easily without having to manually reconfigure all settings on the wlan interface.

It sounds too much hassle to me, to have to create scripts for each location instead of just having a single click option to 'save current settings as a profile' (or whatever you want to call it).

I believe this can be implemented quite easily since it's just a matter of options/presentation on winbox or cli.
Nothing too fancy to be done any deeper in the code base (I guess).

I am sure others can think of better names for the feature, but I believe it would be a helpful feature for hAP Lite specifically since it can be used on the go :)