Community discussions

AlexHevc
just joined
Topic Author

RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN routing performance

Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:09 pm

Hi,

I just installed https://mikrotik.com/product/RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN on new internet connection and found it to be routing bottleneck @ 312Mbps download in web speed-test.

Looking at WinBox profile window there is indication firewall is taking big chunk of resources.

How can i configure my router better ? Maybe remove some firewall rules ?

Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Alex

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN routing performance

Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:22 pm

Using the fasttrack can help to faster speeds.

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:38 pm

Something(s) that may help

- Upgrade/update the Mikrotik firmware
... -and-
Not officially recommended by Mikrotik - - - Overclock your 2011 to the second to fastest CPU clock speed available (not the fastest available !!!). Note - you could brick your Mikrotik - however I have found it always works on all of my 2011 Mikrotik devices. A faster CPU clock on your Mikrotik device(s) will make CPU processing of firewalls & services run a little faster.

North Idaho Tom Jones

freemannnn
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:04 pm

you mean 650mhz?
you mean maybe it will be breaked and no netinstall can fix it?

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:40 pm

you mean 650mhz?
you mean maybe it will be breaked and no netinstall can fix it?
I do not remember what the fastest and 2nd to fastest clock speeds are on our older & newer Mikrotik 2011 devices.

However, as the network engineer & manager of our business (thousands of Mikrotiks in/on our network) , I have a standing requirement that all our technicians do the following on all Mikrotik devices.
- #1 - If the Mikrotik is already at the fastest CPU clock speed or 2nd to fastest clock speed available, then leave it there and don't change it.
- #2 - If the Mikrotik is not at the fastest or 2nd to fastest CPU clock speed available, then always set the clock to the 2nd to fastest clock speed available.
We have never bricked a Mikrotik (out of thousands) following the above 2 rules.

Question for you - You can have only 2 of 3 choices
Choice 1-of-3 ; Reliability
Choice 2-of-3 ; Speed
Choice 3-of-3 ; Cost (affordability)
Which two choices do you pick -or- what ratio of the three choices do you choose?

In my opinion ...
I suspect the Mikrotik hardware/software/firmware team prefers reliability over throughput. ((( and I like this myself ))).
By increasing the CPU clock speed , you are taking something away from reliability.
.... Think of it this way; you can have "fast speed at the expense of less reliability" or "high reliability and the expense of less speed" or some variable ratio of the two most desired functions. To have both at the same time increases the product price to customers.

North Idaho Tom Jones

CZFan
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:19 pm

By overclocking your CPU you will also add heat, so if Mikrotik device is in a warm / hot area, you will get a lot of unreliability, shorten the life of the Mikrotik device and possibility of permanent hardware failure
MTCNA, MTCTCE & MTCRE

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:24 am

By overclocking your CPU you will also add heat, so if Mikrotik device is in a warm / hot area, you will get a lot of unreliability, shorten the life of the Mikrotik device and possibility of permanent hardware failure

Correct

In cold locations ( like northern Idaho where winters where the temps can fall below 0 F ), over-clocking can help keep devices warmer and operational in sub-zero F temperatures.
In hot locations (example in deserts) overclocking might not be desireable because of the additional heat generated.

Now - for what I have discovered (with thousands of indoor & outdoor Mikrotiks) is that overclocking to the second to fastest CPU clock speed settings always works for my networks in the hot-summers and cold-winters.

note - yes there is a risk when you over-clock - (but I have not lost/bricked one yet)

North Idaho Tom Jones

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:10 am

Somewhat related to clock speed & heat

Here is a year-long graph (from my cacti graphing system) for an outdoor Mikrotik. It is a 922UAGS-5HPacD running at 720 MHz.
The temp graph is x10 (devide by 10 to get the corrent temp)
NorthRegin.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.