Community discussions

Stril
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Is it so hard to use dynamic IP VPNs with mikrotik

Wed May 16, 2018 9:05 am

Hi!

I really love using mikrotik devices for most of the networking jobs in my projects, but there is one thing, that avoided using mikrotik many, many times:

It is SO hard to use VPNs with dynamic IPs or MultiWAN!

One example:
Branch offices have: DSL-internet + LTE backup (dynamic and provider-NAT)
Headquater uses: 2x internet, static IPs, different providers

The goal is to have a working VPN-solution if ANY of the internet-lines fails, or if one line on each site fails. If the main-interface on the branch-office fails, the VPN must connect over the other line.

- Pure IPSEC
Mikrotik does not (like other vendors) accept pure Aggressive mode with dynamic IPs. The only option would be to configure 4! tunnels with nasty scripts that configure dyndns on both branch-office-internet-lines.
Why isn't it possible to configure an IPSEC-tunnel dynamically where the HQ does not know the IP of of the BO (dialup)

- IPSEC+L2TP
Works, but I can only use one IPSEC-PSK for ALL the tunnels on the HQ, if I want to use dynamic SAs. That is a crazy limitation.

- EoIP
Great protocol, but one more time: Sucks with dynamic IPs (and MultiWAN mostly lead to dynamic IPs).

- SSTP, OpenVPN(TCP)
Works, is fine, but TCP over TCP should not be the way to go for Site-to-Site-VPNs.

So the question:
Did I miss any nice option to do this without crazy complicated setups that combine technologies and shrink the MTU more and more (like EoIP over L2TP)?

Sorry for the long post!

Stril

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Is it so hard to use dynamic IP VPNs with mikrotik

Wed May 16, 2018 11:49 am

I think we've already discussed it elsewhere. If you have static IPs on the HQ side, you can configure plain IPsec from the BO with changing addresses or even running on private addresses behind a NAT, and use GRE tunnels over the IPsec connections. So you'd have four IPsec "sessions" between the four WAN interfaces:

BO1<->HQ1
BO1<->HQ2
BO2<->HQ2
BO2<->HQ1

At each end, you would use the usual script-less multi-wan arrangement over these 4 VPN tunnels. A GRE tunnel is represented by a virtual interface so you use normal routing tables with check-gateway and distance to monitor the availability of the tunnels and set up priority of their use. Or you can use OSPF to control the redundancy.
Last edited by sindy on Wed May 16, 2018 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Instead of writing novels, post /export hide-sensitive. Use find&replace in your favourite text editor to systematically replace all occurrences of each public IP address potentially identifying you by a distinctive pattern such as my.public.ip.1.

CZFan
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 16, 2018 11:58 am

- Pure IPSEC
Mikrotik does not (like other vendors) accept pure Aggressive mode with dynamic IPs. The only option would be to configure 4! tunnels with nasty scripts that configure dyndns on both branch-office-internet-lines.
Why isn't it possible to configure an IPSEC-tunnel dynamically where the HQ does not know the IP of of the BO (dialup)

Not sure if I am not understanding the question, but will answer with a question, how will you make a telephone call to someone if you don't have his/her tel number, or go and visit someone if you don't have his / her address?
MTCNA, MTCTCE, MTCRE & MTCINE

RoadkillX
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed May 16, 2018 12:56 pm

- SSTP, OpenVPN(TCP)
Works, is fine, but TCP over TCP should not be the way to go for Site-to-Site-VPNs.
Running on several sites, primary at 2mbps and sites at 512kbps they only share internal routes, Domain controller replication runs without a problem and hits 460kbps for each site instant messaging XMPP also works without problems and they have no extra latency inside the tunnel. so i think this works just fine.

Stril
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed May 16, 2018 1:06 pm

Hi!
Thank you for your answers!

@sindy:
Yes, I saw this answer. 4 Tunnels would be possible.I will give it a try. Just to be sure:
- HQ:
Define two IPSec Peers.
Peer 1: Local IP is WANHQ1-IP
Peer 2: Local IP is WANHQ2-IP
Remote-IP is always 0.0.0.0
--> But how are the SAs set, if I do not know the remote-IP?

- branch-office
Define 4 IPSEC-Peers
Peer 1+3: Remote IP is WAN-HQ1
Peer 2+4: Remote IP is WAN-HQ2
Local IP must be set through IP-Cloud-Feature in case of LTE?

Sorry, but its hard to understand for my, why the local-IP of the branch-office does play any role. My current-setup from another vendor is a lot less powerful than mikrotik, but I can define an IPSEC-peer that can only be run from one site without knowing its address...

@CZFan:
Thats why I wrote "dialup". The BO-User will do the call and so: "The called party does not need to know the number of the caller to answer the call".

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 16, 2018 2:13 pm

4 Tunnels would be possible.I will give it a try. Just to be sure:
- HQ:
Define two IPSec Peers.
Peer 1: Local IP is WANHQ1-IP
Peer 2: Local IP is WANHQ2-IP
Remote-IP is always 0.0.0.0
--> But how are the SAs set, if I do not know the remote-IP?
You don't know the remote IP in advance, which means you cannot use the IPsec session which is created automatically if you fill the IPsec Secret field in the /interface gre configuration. You have to use xauth mode of the peer, allowing you to tell the remote peers from one another (as you'll have two remote peers per each BO for each local peer) by username, and you can either configure policies at BO peers and let the HQ peers mirror them (using generate-policy=yes at HQ side) or you may use mode-config to configure the BO peers from the HQ side.

You'll have to use tunnel mode of IPsec and use private addresses as endpoints for the GRE tunnels, as with transport mode of IPsec, you would have to use scripts to adjust the GRE configuration as the remote addresses would change which is what you don't want to do.

- branch-office
Define 4 IPSEC-Peers
Peer 1+3: Remote IP is WAN-HQ1
Peer 2+4: Remote IP is WAN-HQ2
Local IP must be set through IP-Cloud-Feature in case of LTE?
The two peers towards the same HQ address will have to use different local addresses. One possibility is to use fixed private addresses, firewall rules or routing rules to make sure that each of these source addresses uses a different WAN to establish a connection to the same remote destination, but I am not sure this can be achieved without scripting as the interface cannot always be used as a gateway. And if you have to use scripting, you may update the peers' local addresses straight away instead of modifying the routing tables.

Sorry, but its hard to understand for my, why the local-IP of the branch-office does play any role. My current-setup from another vendor is a lot less powerful than mikrotik, but I can define an IPSEC-peer that can only be run from one site without knowing its address...
Sorry, you'll have to use other words or other language to express this. How do you identify that "one site" if you don't know its address so that you could accept the "call" from that peer only if it comes from that "site"?
Instead of writing novels, post /export hide-sensitive. Use find&replace in your favourite text editor to systematically replace all occurrences of each public IP address potentially identifying you by a distinctive pattern such as my.public.ip.1.

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed May 16, 2018 2:30 pm

It is certainly possible without 4 tunnels in so called road warrior setups. Set up ipsec+modeconf and problem solved, there are even example sin the manual:
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:I ... n_Examples

Stril
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed May 16, 2018 3:23 pm

Hi!

@sindy:
I think, the biggest problem is, the aggressive-mode is not fully supported. There seems to be no possiblity to check the peer-id (i did not find one). Thats why I cannot seperate the traffic).

@mrz:
I will give it a try. is mode-config only possible with an IP-pool, or are static IPs supported, too?

Regards,
Stril

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 16, 2018 3:28 pm

@sindy:
I think, the biggest problem is, the aggressive-mode is not fully supported. There seems to be no possiblity to check the peer-id (i did not find one). Thats why I cannot seperate the traffic).
I must be missing something. Why you need to check the peer-id, why is username not sufficient for you (I even assume it is actually the same thing) to distinguish the peers from one another?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 16, 2018 3:40 pm

For a configuration like that I configured the usual 2-provider setup (with static IP) at the main office and also L2TP server on 2 external IPs,
and for branch offices I use L2TP where the main office is accessed using a domain name (a hostname under our main domain, registered in DNS on internet)
where the single name has the two addresses of the main office. Normally the branch offices will get a random connection over one of the
two lines (DNS rotation) but when one line fails they will re-try until they get the address of the working line and connect to that.

Setup BGP to route the main- and branch office subnets and it all works automatically. L2TP works fine over provider NAT (e.g. 4G).
For the branches that have static external IP I use a static GRE/IPsec tunnel instead. Plus a GRE6/IPsec tunnel for good measure.
(it has happened that IPv4 connectivity was down while IPv6 was still working)

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 16, 2018 3:46 pm

L2TP works fine over provider NAT (e.g. 4G).
...unless two BOs hit the same public IP on the provider NAT, causing an unexplainable headache as it will happen only once in a blue moon. There is a remedy but I wouldn't call it simple.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 16, 2018 4:14 pm

Fortunately in our case due to the 2 external IPs (which I did not completely describe, in fact we use 4 external IPs from 2 /29 subnets to have simultaneous GRE/IPsec and L2TP/IPsec) it "never" occurs.
It could be different when you have many connected branch offices.

Stril
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed May 16, 2018 4:22 pm

Hi!

@pe1chi:
Your setup sounds good, but how do you handle the problem, that all the L2TP-tunnel will share one PSK?

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 16, 2018 4:33 pm

how do you handle the problem, that all the L2TP-tunnel will share one PSK?
Ah, I forgot your other topics was dealing with this one... in that case, you would have to use certificates to replace the PSK. Like with GRE, you would have to configure IPsec manually instead of just telling the L2TP "use IPsec with this PSK".

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 16, 2018 5:20 pm

how do you handle the problem, that all the L2TP-tunnel will share one PSK?
I don't consider that a problem. The L2TP tunnel additionally has username and password, and we set that different for each branch office.

Stril
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed May 16, 2018 6:53 pm

Hi!

What do you think about:

2x L2tP-Tunnels
- Tunnel 1: via "current Internet-Connection of branch-office) to HQ-ISP1
- Tunnel 2: via "current Internet-Connection of branch-office) to HQ-ISP2

2x EoIP-Tunnel WITH IPSec inside the L2TP-Tunnels
- Tunnel 1 on L2TP-1
- Tunnel 2 on L2TP-2

--> L2TP is not interrested in the source-interface.
--> EoIP with IPSec can run inside the L2TP with private IPs

I am just concerned about the MTU. The overhead should be: about 1408...

What do you think?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 16, 2018 8:47 pm

1. I think you should not use EoIP tunnels. redesign your network so it can be routed.

2. in my experience it is unwise to have multiple tunnels in a balanced (i.e. ECMP) setup when there are Windows systems on the network.

As the bandwith of the tunnel from branch office to head office is likely determined entirely by the branch office main internet connection,
and you usually do not want to throw a 4G connection in the mix for other purposes than backup (due to data bundle limits), it is best to
have only a single active tunnel from each single IP address. So, 1 active L2TP from each branch office DSL to one of the two head
office connections, chosen randomly to balance their use (e.g. as I wrote before using DNS).

When both tunnels are up at the same time, make sure only one is really used in each direction, e.g. using BGP routing. It is not a problem
when the routing is asymmetric, but when you have balancing like ECMP you will create packet reordering and it will severly affect
throughput on Windows systems due to sub-optimal TCP implementation (on Linux it isn't much of a problem).

Stril
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu May 17, 2018 12:10 am

Hi!

But with L2TP and IPSEC, I would have to use the same PSK for all the peers, right?

Using only one tunnel at a time actively is absolutely ok for me. Balancing is not important - only failover...

Paternot

Thu May 17, 2018 1:56 am

Hi!

But with L2TP and IPSEC, I would have to use the same PSK for all the peers, right?

Using only one tunnel at a time actively is absolutely ok for me. Balancing is not important - only failover...
Yes, and no.

Yes, if You want to go the easy way: interfaces -> ppp -> L2TP client, and mark "use IPSec".
No, if You can do it the hard one: set it up by hand, through the IPsec config, and use xauth. True, the secret would be the same - but not the IPsec user and password. Set up an L2TP connection without marking "use IPsec". Set the firewall to only allow L2TP outbound connections that are IPsec encrypted. And now, the cherry on top: If your server has dynamic IP, You will need to run a script, in order to keep the IPsec configuration with the right server IP.

Took me some time, with help from others here, to crack this. But it works: I have 3 dynamic IP clients connecting to one dynamic IP server.

Stril
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu May 17, 2018 9:01 am

Hi!

I found several hints in the forum, that xauth should not be used with site-to-site-VPNs. The examples are always just for RoadWarriors.
How did you handle this? I do not want to use dynamic IPs for the "client-branch-offices" inside the L2TP.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 17, 2018 9:50 am

I found several hints in the forum, that xauth should not be used with site-to-site-VPNs.
Can you provide links to these hints? That does not make sense to me.

Stril
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu May 17, 2018 11:14 am

Hi!

Sorry, was not in the forum, was at MUM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlkIbx0Jpoo
..at 04:00 min on the slideshare

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 17, 2018 11:57 am

..at 04:00 min on the slideshare
Well, I cannot speak for Tomáš but I suppose he had in mind that you should not need to use xauth for site2site setups, as it adds complexity without any added value if you have static addresses at both ends and no redundancy requirements. But as soon as you have a dynamically changing address at the BO end, it becomes a road warrior case as you cannot tell this remote peer from another one by its IP address at the HQ end, so you need to use some other means. DynDNS update from BO and use of the DNS name as remote in HQ configuration is one possibility, but with your "full mesh" where you need two distinct local peers at BO to share the same remote of HQ I'm not sure whether the DynDNS update can be done without scripting in such a way that you would have a distinct DNS name for each of the two WAN addresses. And even if this worked, two BOs could hit the same public IP from the mobile operator's NAT pool if the operator assigns private addresses to the LTE clients.

So in these cases, xauth (or L2TP username/password if you use your "IPsec over L2TP" instead of standard "L2TP over IPsec") is a simpler and 100% reliable way to tell one BO client from another, and even one peer of the same BO client from another, at the HQ side. I have no idea how deeply the security is affected if the attacker knows the pre-shared secret but doesn't know the xauth password.

Paternot

Thu May 17, 2018 4:15 pm

Hi!

I found several hints in the forum, that xauth should not be used with site-to-site-VPNs. The examples are always just for RoadWarriors.
How did you handle this? I do not want to use dynamic IPs for the "client-branch-offices" inside the L2TP.
The xauth? Just change the setting.
in IPsec/peers config:

Address: 0.0.0.0/0 (our road warriors/sites have dynamic Ip, remember?)
Auth. Method: pre shared key xauth
Secret: <password used by all connecting IPsec>
Passive: Yes (This is the server)
Generate Policy: port strict

In IPsec/Users
Create one user/password for each client connecting. This is where You will use the different passwords and users.

The rest is the same - it only affects the authentication.

-- EDIT --

Inside the L2TP You can use static IPs. It's up to You, really. Routing is (can be, usually is) done by network mask, anyway. Dynamic IP... static IP... As long as You know the netmask, doesn't matter.

Or You can use a routing protocol, like BGP, OSPF, etc.