Community discussions

danielh
just joined
Topic Author

Server load balance to two switches

Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:05 pm

Hi,

I run a server, which runs my file share and TVheadend streaming server. As I use multiple TVs at the same time, the router at the top has high load. Actual configuration is: WWW -> router -> switch1 -> server. switch2 is attached on router. So routing of tv signal (in case if TV is on switch2 is server -> switch1 -> router -> switch2 -> TV.
I would like to load balance it on two switches to gain more throughput. Something like that:
Untitled Diagram.png
Is this possible as simple switching or do I need to route it on different subnets?

Thanks,

Daniel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

danielh
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Server load balance to two switches

Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:03 pm

any idea?

anav
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:53 pm

Are the switches managed?

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Server load balance to two switches  [SOLVED]

Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:03 pm

If you just have in mind that currently the packet from the server must get to switch 2 through the router because there is no direct link between the server and switch 2, it is not a matter of load balancing. If you configure hardware offloading of the bridge to which both switch 1 and switch 2 are connected, you will relieve the router's CPU from forwarding the packets from switch 1 to swicth 2 because the switch chip in the router will deal with it (if it is there). You cannot create an L2 ring even if the switches were managed ones with STP support because STP always disables one of the links forming up the ring rather than finding the shortest path between each pair of member devices of the ring.
Instead of writing novels, post /export hide-sensitive. Use find&replace in your favourite text editor to systematically replace each occurrence of any public IP address potentially identifying you by a distinctive pattern such as my.public.ip.1.

danielh
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:36 am

If you just have in mind that currently the packet from the server must get to switch 2 through the router because there is no direct link between the server and switch 2, it is not a matter of load balancing. If you configure hardware offloading of the bridge to which both switch 1 and switch 2 are connected, you will relieve the router's CPU from forwarding the packets from switch 1 to swicth 2 because the switch chip in the router will deal with it (if it is there). You cannot create an L2 ring even if the switches were managed ones with STP support because STP always disables one of the links forming up the ring rather than finding the shortest path between each pair of member devices of the ring.
Thank you. I did not knew that there was such a HW offload feature (is it a new feature introduced recently?). I have activated it on the router and now CPU is about 5-7%. Btw. router is RB3011 and switches are CSS326.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:22 pm

I did not knew that there was such a HW offload feature (is it a new feature introduced recently?).
The feature was always there but the configuration method has changed. Prior to ROS 6.41, a single "master port" was made a member of the bridge, and all frames between this "master port" and all "slave ports" referring to it were forwarded by the switch chip. From 6.41 on, the same physical behavior is controlled by setting all the ports, previously configured as a master and its slaves, as bridge members and switching on the hw-offload on these ports.
Instead of writing novels, post /export hide-sensitive. Use find&replace in your favourite text editor to systematically replace each occurrence of any public IP address potentially identifying you by a distinctive pattern such as my.public.ip.1.