2. Can it work as OLT?

Thanks,
TCC

StubArea51
Trainer
Trainer

Re: MIKROTIK as OLT/GEPON

Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:43 pm

We have been doing extensive testing with MikroTik for GPON in our lab and here is what we know so far

1. It does work as an ONT under the GPON standard when connected to certain types of OLTs. This is the OLT we are currently testing on:

https://www.multilink.us/REVO-818G-GPON-OLT_p_931.html

2. It will not currently function as an OLT

3. GPON is the only supported protocol right now - GEPON is not yet supported.

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:03 pm

We have been doing extensive testing with MikroTik for GPON in our lab and here is what we know so far

1. It does work as an ONT under the GPON standard when connected to certain types of OLTs. This is the OLT we are currently testing on:

https://www.multilink.us/REVO-818G-GPON-OLT_p_931.html

2. It will not currently function as an OLT

3. GPON is the only supported protocol right now - GEPON is not yet supported.
I would like to add, I have tested and verified the Mikrotik GPON SFP module does work with my Adtran TA-5000s in my customer GPON network.
I have been able to make it bridge, nat, work with 802.1q tagged vlans, rate-limit and function as a residential-gateway.

North Idaho Tom Jones

StubArea51
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:12 pm

Thanks for that Tom!

I've built a lot of networks on TA5Ks and love them but haven't had a chance to test MikroTik on the adtran gpon olt. Great to know that it works!

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:32 pm

Thanks for that Tom!

I've built a lot of networks on TA5Ks and love them but haven't had a chance to test MikroTik on the adtran gpon olt. Great to know that it works!
The Mikrotik GPON SFP module works surprisingly well. All kinds of routing/switching/firewalling power that way out performs a standard ONT (GPON client device). And the Mikrotik treats it just like any other interface - nothing special.

We are going to begin installing these for our new GPON customers this summer. I just need to work out SIP(phone-over-IP), battery backup and a Mikrotik equivalent of SubH (Out-of-Band-Management).

Although I've been an engineer in the computer communications industry for 40+ years (before PC), I am still new at GPON and Adtran. It's hard to know Cisco and talk Adtran at the CLI.

btw - checked out your website - nice

North Idaho Tom Jones

StubArea51
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:27 pm

Check multicast as i've run into issues with that when testing OSPF and had to convert to NBMA on the ONT router. Would be interested to see what you find out.

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:52 pm

Check multicast as i've run into issues with that when testing OSPF and had to convert to NBMA on the ONT router. Would be interested to see what you find out.
Re: OSPF
I try to avoid OSPF and other routing protocols for routing to customers. I do use OSPF on some core routers but not customer routes. I've just seen to many non-Cisco devices experience OSPF problems (ROS & PfSense and many others). When OSPF works, everything is great. When a routing protocol fails, your day goes to sh!! if the network is big.

Question - Are you currently working with much GPON and have you tested any other GPON SFP modules similar to Mikrotik's ? I am looking for a second brand/source to be ready to use/switch-to if the Mikrotik SFP GPON module has any deployment problems.

North Idaho Tom Jones

StubArea51
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:52 pm

We use GPON sometimes for MPLS transport to the edge depending on the use case, so we have to be able to run OSPF/LDP through the ONT which is why I was testing it.

dhanie99
just joined

Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:49 am

is it works for olt zte, huawei and fiberhome product?

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:55 pm

is it works for olt zte, huawei and fiberhome product?
My experience with the Mikrotik GPON modules:
- A few years ago when the Mikrotik GPON modules first started shipping, I installed a just over 14 of them. During that winter (years ago), I installed 12 test customers where the GPON Module equipped Mikrotiks were mounted outside in Nema enclosures ( a weather proof box ) - and I also installed 2 GPON Module equipped Mikrotiks indoors in air-conditioned equipment rooms. That summer, all outdoor GPON Module equipped Mikrotiks quit working as soon as early summer temperatures started reaching 90 degrees ( F ). One-Hundred percent of my outdoor located Nema enclosed Mikrotik GPON modules bricked and were not recoverable. However , the 2 Mikrotik GPON Modules that were installed in air-conditioned server rooms are still working.

- I email/chatted with Mikrotik support and they informed me that the later shipping Mikrotik GPON Modules had some changes and should work.
Mikrotik did not offer to replace my dozen Mikrotik GPON Modules. So , my bricked Mikrotik GPON Modules ended up in the trash can.

- In my opinion , all Mikrotik products are great - - - except their GPON Modules. If somebody can show me they have dozens to hundreds of outdoor Nema located Mikrotik GPON modules that have lasted two summer seasons that do not live in Alaska , then and only then would I consider another costly attempt at testing them.

North Idaho Tom Jones

willgorsky
just joined

Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:42 am

Hey, i know this is old, but can you tell me how to "convert to NBMA on the ONT router"? I have the same problem but not using Mikrotik (mine uses ZTE on both OLT and ONT). Maybe I could find some clues from your solutions on this.

Thanks.

Error0x29A
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:49 pm

That summer, all outdoor GPON Module equipped Mikrotiks quit working as soon as early summer temperatures started reaching 90 degrees ( F ). One-Hundred percent of my outdoor located Nema enclosed Mikrotik GPON modules bricked and were not recoverable.
Hi Tom, can you please share what SFP brands did you use to replace bricked Mikrotik modules.

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:34 pm

That summer, all outdoor GPON Module equipped Mikrotiks quit working as soon as early summer temperatures started reaching 90 degrees ( F ). One-Hundred percent of my outdoor located Nema enclosed Mikrotik GPON modules bricked and were not recoverable.
Hi Tom, can you please share what SFP brands did you use to replace bricked Mikrotik modules.
I only tested/tried the Mikrotik SFP GPON modules (almost a dozen of them).
All of them died (as I described in my postings) except one. It is still running - and the one still running is in an air conditioned server room.
I have not researched any other SFP GPON moduled ( yet ).

olivier2831
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:19 pm

Resurrecting this old thread, I think having a Mikrotik device supporting OLT functions would make sense in hospitality (hotels, ...).

Currently among others, Zyxel or Ubiquiti address these markets with GPON OLT/ONT devices.
In a single hotel, you can easily have 100 ONT integrating Ethernet or/and WiFi with a GPON uplink.
Latest ONTs offer WiFi 6 with 100 $/€ price tag.