Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Can Powerbox supply 1x NetMetal triple chain with miniPCIe on one port?

Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:12 pm

I'm thinking of fitting one NetMetal rb922UAGS-5HPacT-NM (=23W) with one R11e-5HacD miniPCI-e card (4,5W)
This NetMetal will use the miniPCI-e on both chains with full power.
This NetMetal will use the build in triple chain radio with reduced power 17-20dBm.
This NetMetal will have SFP+ 3m direct attach cable connected to another NetMetal. (Is use of SFP+ consuming extra power?)

Can this NetMetal be supplied with power from one port of the PowerBox?

If I take worse case scenario the total power consumption will be 23+4,5 = 27,5W / 24Volts = 1,15Amps
This would exceed the supply of the PowerBox port, which states "1A per port".

But units run of 24V battery set with continuos charging. Meaning actual voltage measured at Powerbox (batteries at 20M network cable deliver PoE-in to the box) can be slightly higher, lets say 25Volts;

27,5W / 25Volts = 1,1Amp, still too much...

But since main radio of NetMetal would work at 20dBm max instead of possible 30dBm power consumption will be lower. But how much lower?
Would it bring the consumption down to 20Watt? (1,0A x 25V = 25W - 4,5W of the card the NetMetal would be 20 Watt.)

Product spec in the website also refers to 25W max. consumption for the NetMetal where the .pdf actually talks of 23W for same unit.

Is the 25W max. included a miniPCIe card?

If 25W max. would include a miniPCIe card and the main radio works at reduced power total consumption will be less than 1.0A. So in this case it will work?

Anybody any more info or already tried?
Show your appreciation of this post by giving me Karma! Thanks.

Rudy R. Puister

WISP operator based on MT routerboard & ROS.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Re: Can Powerbox supply 1x NetMetal triple chain with miniPCIe on one port?

Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:16 pm

Oh, and what about the heat production?
2 radio's in a small box. Metal or not, when this box hangs in the full sun with 33 degrees Celsius outside temp. it might proof too much?

I'm already painting these boxes white. Less visual impact and less heat consumption by direct sunlight... (I never understood why they changed colour. White is better...)

Any experiences with heat production/consumption/dissipation?

Rudy R. Puister

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Re: Can Powerbox supply 1x NetMetal triple chain with miniPCIe on one port?

Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:35 pm

Alternative to the Powerbox that only states 1A per port but 2A in total the rb260GS also states 1A per port but no max is given. Can it supply 4 x 1A = 4A (plus own consumption)?

I could fit a 260GS in a outdoor box to deliver more power? [Routing or Switching can be adjusted for this part of the network. Its basically switched anyway.]

Rudy R. Puister