MikroTik App

blue
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Windows 10 and netinstall

Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:10 pm

Hello,

I can't get netinstall to work on Windows 10. Net booting is not working. On that same computer while Win7 was installed, everything worked OK. It looks like somekind of Win10 security, but I can't figure it out. Anyone with same problem?

BR...

patrikg
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Windows 10 and netinstall

Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:31 pm

Have you tried like many of us, and another win versions with netinstall.
1. First disable windows firewall.
2. Run netinstall program as administrator.

blue
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:34 pm

Yes, firewall disabled, and netinstall started as admin. That was the first thing i did...

patrikg
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:47 pm

Why not try to set an statiic ip on the pc.
Like mikrotik default range:

And testing the correct port of your router.
For Netinstall, the PC needs to be connected to port 1 !

And for a another solution for bad arp ip connections, lets make a static arp to ip on your pc.

1. Look at the router to see what mac address (in my ex 00-0C-42-12-34-56) it has for the correct port.
2. Start cmd as admin. Right click Start button Command Prompt (Admin)
0u8Oj.png
3. Set static arp into arp table----Type :arp -s 192.168.88.1 00-0C-42-12-34-56
4. Ping your device until stop with <CTRL><C>----Type: ping -t 192.168.88.1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

blue
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:32 pm

I'll have to give up on Win10. To many problems. Winbox behaving strange, netinstall also. Few other specific software don't work. Bye, bye Win10...

RogerWilco

Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:37 am

I'll have to give up on Win10. To many problems. Winbox behaving strange,
Works perfectly for me.

blue
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:41 pm

False alarm. I have installed new Win10, and now everything working great. The question is what peace of software killed netinstall last time. I will do step by step app install...

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:05 am

False alarm. I have installed new Win10, and now everything working great. The question is what peace of software killed netinstall last time. I will do step by step app install...
This is going to sound stupid... but have you tried changing its name?

No joke!

After installing Windows 10, I had the same problem -- devices wouldn't show up in the netinstall window. I had a static IP set. I had it set to always run as administrator. I had all other networking turned off. I updated the drivers for my USB-to-ethernet adapter. I double-checked the presence of the firewall hole.I scanned the boot IP range from the attached MikroTik, and the boot server showed up. But it just would not work.

As a related problem, I was getting really tired of seeing the warning box saying, "Do you want to allow this app from an unknown publisher to modify your system?" before every failed test, so I did a web search to see if there were any way to turn that off. I came across this posting, where a fellow claimed that any app with the strings patch, install, update, or setup in the name will trigger this warning, while others won't.

It smacked of voodoo, but I renamed the package to netinsttall.exe. And not only did it turn off that message, but damned if netinstall didn't immediately start working (after one additional, "do you want to let this app through the firewall" message box).

Hey, I can't explain it, but it's working now, and I'm not going to screw with it.

y64xkuo

Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:03 pm

I got this working by disabling all network cards except wired.

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:21 pm

I wish that netinstall and winbox discovery let you select a connection profile to use. The program automatically selects one, and if it picks the wrong one, then you're kind of screwed.

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:25 pm

Problems could be the same or related to this: http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... 60#p490402

scampbell
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:59 am

This is going to sound stupid... but have you tried changing its name?

No joke!

After installing Windows 10, I had the same problem -- devices wouldn't show up in the netinstall window. I had a static IP set. I had it set to always run as administrator. I had all other networking turned off. I updated the drivers for my USB-to-ethernet adapter. I double-checked the presence of the firewall hole.I scanned the boot IP range from the attached MikroTik, and the boot server showed up. But it just would not work.

As a related problem, I was getting really tired of seeing the warning box saying, "Do you want to allow this app from an unknown publisher to modify your system?" before every failed test, so I did a web search to see if there were any way to turn that off. I came across this posting, where a fellow claimed that any app with the strings patch, install, update, or setup in the name will trigger this warning, while others won't.

It smacked of voodoo, but I renamed the package to netinsttall.exe. And not only did it turn off that message, but damned if netinstall didn't immediately start working (after one additional, "do you want to let this app through the firewall" message box).

Hey, I can't explain it, but it's working now, and I'm not going to screw with it.
Worked for me too - I suspect it may be to do with UAE control - it asked if I was going to allow access from Public Networks first time I opened the newly renamed file - perhaps I fogot to tick this on the original Netinstall ?

michalkordac
just joined

Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:32 pm

In my case netinstall (both 5.26 and 6.37.1) when run under windows 10 pro (run as Administrator) will just send an error 10013 - bind() failed: An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions.
This is followed by a msgbox no code!!!: The operation completed successfully.(0)
In any case, acknowledging will just close the window.

Any hints of what am I doing wrong?

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:41 pm

Windows colic is so tedious.

Is it possible you have another BOOTP server already running?

Try creating a new administrator user on your machine and see if netinstall runs any better under that user.

0ldman
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:08 am

Just a heads up, I found this because I was having problems.

Turns out Virtualbox messes it up, if you have it installed.

chbw
just joined

Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:56 am

workaround
For me, disabling APIPA by creating a DWORD value called "IPAutoconfigurationEnabled" with a value of "0x00000000 (0)" below "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters" in the windows registry (and rebooting) solved the problem.

diagnostics/troubleshooting process
My Wireshark trace suggests that the netinstall utility told the routerboard to connect back to the APIPA adress of the Windows PC, even though a static IP adress and default gateway had been specified. Looking at the interface details on windows showed two IP addresses, the static one and an APIPA adress (169.254.x.x). After completely disabling APIPA, only the static IP address was shown for the network interface and netinstall told the routerboard to connect to it.

netinstall feature request
When there are multiple IP addresses configured on the network interface used by netinstall, prefer the non-APIPA address or ask the user.

kiwitech
just joined

Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:30 pm

I found that I had to run it under Windows 7 compatibility mode.

fernandogarrido
just joined

Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:24 pm

Hi, I had the same issue wirh win10. Netinstall didn’t find the device, despite while making a traffic capture, the hex lite was requesting BOOTP.
Disabling all interfaces but wired, and renaming netinstall.exe to nettinstall.exe, running it as administrator wirh windows defender fw disabled for all networks, I finally could see the RB750 and install the OS again.
Thank you all for your tips!

itmethod

Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:56 am

I ran into this same issue. Ofcourse I have virtual box installed. Had the virtual box driver disabled from the ethernet card and it still didn't work which used to on win 7.

So I took a moment. Had the idea of running Win7 within virtual box just for this purpose. and it worked.

Turned the Vbox bridge driver back on in win10, and made sure the nic was bridged for the VM.

Made sure to install the vbox drivers in win7 so I could drag and drop the files. this way I can leave everything alone in the vm and it will be ready for me next time.

ik3umt
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:51 am

I found that I had to run it under Windows 7 compatibility mode.
Me too, same issue, had it work selecting "run as administrator" and " run compatibility mode win7"

TcpPaty
just joined

Sun May 31, 2020 5:42 am

Hello,

I can't get netinstall to work on Windows 10. Net booting is not working. On that same computer while Win7 was installed, everything worked OK. It looks like somekind of Win10 security, but I can't figure it out. Anyone with same problem?

BR...

It looks like netinstall is conflicting with virtualbox
on clean Windows 10 2004 everything works fine