Community discussions

MikroTik App

Cetalfio
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Vlans and network broadcast

Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:35 pm

Hello I have a bridged network with many vlans between the first router and the clients. IPs are assigned /30 ex. Network: 10.10.10.0/30 between the first router and the router customer.

My simple question is this: if the devices are very numerous in the same bridged network even if there are the vlans, may be a broadcast storm problem or not.

Thanks cetalfio

bajodel
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Vlans and network broadcast

Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:22 am

Hello I have a bridged network with many vlans between the first router and the clients. IPs are assigned /30 ex. Network: 10.10.10.0/30 between the first router and the router customer.
My simple question is this: if the devices are very numerous in the same bridged network even if there are the vlans, may be a broadcast storm problem or not.
IMHO it heavily depends on how much is "many" :D (e.g. probably 50 vlans are ok and 1000 are bad) and it's also important what devices are in the middle of the path. If you have powerfull and smart switches with storm control protecting from mad/faulty client device, you can probably sleep happy.

I wonder your addressing is private or you are wasting a bunch of IP with /30 :D

Cetalfio
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:07 pm

Grazie bajodel,

currently we have vlans for wireless bridges but I thought to create vlans also for customers but the devices number is too high, I understand that is not a good idea, some other idea?

cetalfio

bajodel
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:03 pm

Grazie bajodel,

currently we have vlans for wireless bridges but I thought to create vlans also for customers but the devices number is too high, I understand that is not a good idea, some other idea?

cetalfio
1) How much broadcast do you have now?
2) Are cpe on your exclusive/full control ?
3) Describe briefly your core network..
4) Is actual cpe addressing (/30 mentioned) private/public?

Cetalfio
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:55 pm

The problem of the broadcast we are considering because the number of customers is increasing considerably. Our network is private and only we work on it. The CPEs are now 400 and IP address are private.

Our choice of network bridge is because we have only one PPPoE server and we want to avoid complicated configurations to work with MPLS on network routed or something like this.

We are a small WISP and we are considering how to adapt our network while the number of customers becomes greater.

At the moment we have a single fiber link so we have no need for any special routing protocol.

Thanks for your advice.

cetalfio
Grazie bajodel,

cetalfio
1) How much broadcast do you have now?
2) Are cpe on your exclusive/full control ?
3) Describe briefly your core network..
4) Is actual cpe addressing (/30 mentioned) private/public?

bajodel
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:26 am

It's not clear to me how your network is working now. You said about /30 networks (layer3) and in the last post you spoke about a PPPoE server (layer2 technology).
Your CPEs are doing pppoe over your core device ? If yes, why are you assigning a /30 ?

CelticComms
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:58 am

Each VLAN is its own broadcast domain so VLANs can actually help to determine where a broadcast storm is emanating from.

If considering changes it would be worth considering how you control customer traffic as it ingresses into your backhaul network.

Bridged networks can work very well but to remain manageable they need traffic control points and the ability to diagnose under fault conditions. Some large routing / switching suppliers offer equipment which provides the necessary layer 2 controls for ISPs but solutions in RouterOS tend to be more ad hoc.

MPLS/VPLS doesn't have to be too complicated and can offer benefits even with ~500 subs. Whichever way you go, give yourself controls!

TomosRider
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:10 pm

Switch from bridged to routed network.