Community discussions

MikroTik App

louismos
just joined
Topic Author

Hotspot Server using a SQUID server on the Internet (Public IP) as the upstream proxy

Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:19 pm

Hi

We have multiple MTs connected to the Internet providing Hotspot functionality to users to get access to the Internet.We would like these to use an upstream proxy server (SQUID) that is on the public Internet. The SQUID server is able to authenticate the MikroTiks but I am unable to find anywhere to set up the username & password in the Hotspot for the upstream proxy. It just has IP address & port.

One alternative would be to use ident_lookup (name) field / ACL on the SQUID server, but again, I can't see how we would get this into the http requests sent to the upstream proxy.

Any ideas?

reinerotto
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Hotspot Server using a SQUID server on the Internet (Public IP) as the upstream proxy

Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:52 pm

Yes. For a customer, having very similar problem, I developed a solution using email, to signal "valid IP" to server running squid. In case of interest, consider a project on "freelancer.com". And let me know :-)

louismos
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Hotspot Server using a SQUID server on the Internet (Public IP) as the upstream proxy

Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:45 am

Sound interesting. We are going to fist set up a VPN on the Proxy Server machine and see how well that works. If it gives hassles we'll look at a project for this.

reinerotto
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:18 am

You are wright, VPN is an alternative.
Did not think about it that time :-)