Community discussions

MikroTik App

K1ng0011
just joined
Topic Author

PoE Issue

Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:22 pm

Hello I am having an issue with my new Mikrotik router maybe someone can enlighten me. I have a 951Ui-2nD running 6.32.2 firmware on it. I normally use the webfig interface since it is easier for me coming from the world of Fortinet and Sonicwalls. The issue that I am having is that I am trying to power my polycom 335 phone off of the port five of my mikrotik router. Whenever I plug it in the port goes red on the mikrotik and the phone does not power on. If I leave it plugged in for a minute or two I loose access to the Mikrotik router until I unplug the phone then I will get access to the mikrotik router after a few minutes. It seems like the mikrotik router is crashing. I have tried forcing PoE to the on state on that ethernet port five but it does the same thing. From what I can see the phone is under the nessasary power requirements that the mikrotik should be able to put out.

cbrown
Trainer
Trainer

Re: PoE Issue

Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:52 pm

I believe those phones use 802.3af and MikroTik only supports passive poe output.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:41 pm

I hope you have not damaged the phone

K1ng0011
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:31 pm

Nope the phone is fine I am currently using a PoE injector. I had never used a device with passive PoE and had never heard of it. The polycom phone uses active PoE and that is why it did not work. Thanks for enlightening me on the situation.

K1ng0011
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:11 pm

My phone is working fine it was not damaged. I am currently using a PoE injector. It seems polycom phone only use active PoE and not passive. I was not aware there were two types of PoE until this thread was opened. Well at least I have an answer to my question thanks for the information.