Community discussions

MikroTik App

Trekkie
Topic Author

Distributing IPV6 from a central router

Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:01 am

I have 1xRB493G and 3x912UAG-2HPnD providing Wireless to the site.

My RB493G is my firewall/switch that everything is connected to. My ethernet WAN connection gets it's IPv4 and IPv6 via DHCP/DHCPv6

I get a /64 from the ISP.

I'm trying to figure out how that is distributed. All of my Mac OS X and Windows systems get the IPV6 advertised from the 493G, however I'm unable to get the address to distribute to my 912UAGs.

How do I turn on Automatic configuration on Mikrotik? It's not clear to me, and I've read the wiki a few times, and I to my knowledge have everything configured right.

I don't get any messages, so not sure what to provide.

pmurdock

Re: Distributing IPV6 from a central router

Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:56 pm

You have to assign your LAN port an address and then it will start assigning IP's by RA.

add the ::/1 address and it will make your LAN port take whatever prefix has been delegated to you.

cheers!
Paul

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:44 am

Routers are not supposed to get addresses from RA. At least it was like this few years ago, I didn't check if anything changed lately.

In some cases, it would make sense to allow it, e.g. if I have RouterOS device as transparent AP and want an address just for management, it wouldn't hurt anything, if it came from RA. But currently it's not possible.

The only working option now is DHCPv6. Not in exactly straightforward way either, because the server in RouterOS does not support handing out individual addresses yet, just prefixes. You could add DHCPv6 client to second router, get /64 prefix from your main router and then assign an address from pool to some interface, without advertising it further. Not that it would be perfect, because it would be different /64 than other hosts have. But in this case you can't do it anyway, with just one /64 from ISP, if you already use it for RA. You would have to get larger prefix.

<OT>You should complain anyway, what serious ISP gives just one lousy /64 to customers?</OT>

Trekkie
Topic Author

Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:46 am

I have an address assigned to my WAN connected router, and it has an address.

All my computers are getting assigned addresses from that.

only my mikrotik 951s aren't. Adding ::1 there doesn't do anything (it shows up as invalid)

Trekkie
Topic Author

Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:49 am

<OT>You should complain anyway, what serious ISP gives just one lousy /64 to customers?</OT>
I get the /64 from TWC. I followed the instructions here: https://major.io/2014/09/11/howto-time- ... able-ipv6/ to enable it

18,446,744,073,709,551,616 IPv6 addresses are in a /64, why do I want more than one?

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:54 am

That's right, /64 is awful lot of addresses. Unfortunately, the same /64 is the smallest standard subnet. Simple devices that support only stateless configuration won't work with anything smaller. So if you wanted e.g. one main LAN and one separate guest LAN, you can't do it with /64.