Community discussions

MikroTik App

opalit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Is it possible to route PPPoE users via a different router

Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:38 pm

Does anybody know if it is possible to have a RouterBoard accept a connection from a PPPoE user but have that connection route via a different router that is not configured as an access controller.

If you know how to do it can you please help.

samsung172
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Is it possible to route PPPoE users via a different router

Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:52 pm

/ip route add dst-address=xxxxx src-address=yyyyy

opalit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:01 pm

/ip route add dst-address=xxxxx src-address=yyyyy
Thanks for this, I did try that rule some time ago but for some reason at that time it did not work and I had to use 2 radius servers with different login details for the different users, even that did not work as it should some users were not getting authenticated and were stuck trying via the closer router.

The reason for my question is that it is a hot live router and I do not want to risk screwing things up and knocking off all my customers.

samsung172
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:38 pm

there is also an option in radius server - called routes. If there is only one spesific - customer - its easy to do this by adding just one customer in ppp - secrets. there you have the route option.

There is also possible to do this with the framed-route parameter from radius.

There is also a lot of firewall/mangle rules to make traffic goes like you want or not. to give an exact way how you can do it he best way - and without 1s of problem - is quite difficult. Then you need to describe system and setup in more details.

opalit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:13 pm

there is also an option in radius server - called routes. If there is only one spesific - customer - its easy to do this by adding just one customer in ppp - secrets. there you have the route option.

There is also possible to do this with the framed-route parameter from radius.

There is also a lot of firewall/mangle rules to make traffic goes like you want or not. to give an exact way how you can do it he best way - and without 1s of problem - is quite difficult. Then you need to describe system and setup in more details.
Thanks a lot for your help, you have answered the question for me, that it is possible, I will probably come back at some time in future if I get stuck.