Community discussions

MikroTik App

opalit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Internet provider constantly pinging WAN port, blocking it, blocks internet access

Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:20 pm

My Internet provider is constantly pinging WAN port IP from the gateway about 3 pings every few seconds, blocking it blocks all internet access, which is why I have been having trouble with no internet when pings are blocked, I have never come across this before, so I am wondering if it is normal or just this supplier.

by putting in a accept rule for these pings, I can now block all other pings against the WAN port.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:06 am

Do you think that one thread is not enough?

http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... 35#p503535

CheesyFactory
just joined

Re: Internet provider constantly pinging WAN port, blocking it, blocks internet access

Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:48 am

Nope Dude , :(

opalit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re:

Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:50 am

Trolling comments are not useful, if you do not know the product or have nothing constructive to add do not comment.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Re:

Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:03 pm

Trolling comments are not useful, if you do not know the product or have nothing constructive to add do not comment.
If you look at 'jarda's' amount of posts it looks to me he is a more advanced user than you.... his remark is valid, why post a tread twice? 'Because you get no answer quick on the first?' Well, maybe the question is to obvious in its answer nobody bothers to reply.....

Secondly, to help you in the right direction; you can easy block the ping command without blocking anything else. 'ping' has specific port number.
Third, I am pinging many routers continuously. Some are pinged from different routes. As long as the packages are small and you don't flood the router with thousands per second the traffic won't notice it....
And the WAN port? Well, many robots or ports scanners are continuously sending ping commands to our WAN ports. There is no way to stop this since its 3rd party. All you can do is filter or block it.
There are several example in the Wiki and manual on how to do this....

opalit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:05 pm

If you look at 'jarda's' amount of posts it looks to me he is a more advanced user than you.... his remark is valid, why post a tread twice? 'Because you get no answer quick on the first?' Well, maybe the question is to obvious in its answer nobody bothers to reply.....

Secondly, to help you in the right direction; you can easy block the ping command without blocking anything else. 'ping' has specific port number.
Third, I am pinging many routers continuously. Some are pinged from different routes. As long as the packages are small and you don't flood the router with thousands per second the traffic won't notice it....
And the WAN port? Well, many robots or ports scanners are continuously sending ping commands to our WAN ports. There is no way to stop this since its 3rd party. All you can do is filter or block it.

opalit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:26 pm

I know how to block ports and pings and many other things.

What I did not know was why it stopped the internet working when I blocked the ping reply or ping request on my WAN port, but I found it was because I blocked or limited the ping from the suppliers gateway, I still do not know why this happens, it does not happen when I use a MicroTik router anywhere else or on a ADSL network via a modem.

For anybody else I posted that an accept rule for the suppliers gateway kept the internet working and I was then able to block all others.

I have had this RB1100AHx2 in operation since they introduced and with ping reply blocked on WAN port with no ill effect, as this problem occurred after I updated the firmware at the time when I change supplier, I did not know if they had changed anything in the firmware, I admit I panicked a bit.