Forum Guru
Topic Author

Version naming

Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:58 am

What's new in 6.32.3 (2015-Oct-19 11:13):

*) switch - fixed CRS settings set back to defaults after a reboot;
*) netinstall - include missing RB1200 drivers;
*) firewall - fixed connection-rate matcher;
*) ppp, pptp, l2tp, pppoe: fixed router dead locked if compression was enabled on link;
*) quickset - create proper firewall rules when PPPoE is used for address acquisition;
*) sstp - fixed kernel crash when other party started to fragment ppp packets in the middle;
*) ippool6 - optimize same prefix acquisition;
*) winbox - Shift+Ins & Shift+Del did not work in multi entry fields;
*) winbox - allow to specify ipv6 address in traffic flow target;
*) winbox - allow to specify eap-radius-accounting in CAPsMAN;
*) winbox - allow to enter dns name in email server;
*) ups - fix console oid print;
*) tunnel - fix loopback keepalives on gre and ipip;
*) pptp,l 2tp, sstp, pppoe: do not send data packets before we have negotiated connection with other
side (happens on dial-on-demand interfaces), this brakes when connecting to other party servers;
*) pptp, l2tp, sstp - make it work when add-default-route & dial-on-demand both are enabled;
*) pptp, l2tp, sstp, pppoe clients - fixed problem where they failed to connect
at startup and only reboot helped;
*) nv2 - fixed kernel failure with frame size accounting;
*) ovpn client - fixed crash when ovpn didn't receive it's ip address;
*) lcd - fix slideshow for CCR1072, and possible sign issues for temperatures;
*) winbox - make console notice correct screen size;
*) ssh - allow to specify pass as argument for private key import;
*) winbox - refetch hotspot walled garden hit counter;
*) winbox - added client-connections & server-connections to web proxy status;
*) cerm - fix scep server certificate-reply degenerate PKCS#7 signed-data content;
*) bgp - specific BGP networks were changed to different ones;
*) cerm - allow export for all types except templates;
*) wlan - update brazil-anatel country;
*) winbox - fixed context menu actions to apply to all selected items;
Is this all new or are they bug fixes?

What problem was this? Did it happen on each nv2 running radio? I had some backhauls stalling after weeks of running, could this have to do with it?

Same story happens again: 6.32.2 [current] was pretty stable after being around for some weeks without too many new comments or disasters.
This morning found a client that still wasn't upgraded to 6.32.2 so started the auto upgrade script and AGAIN to my surprise a new 'current' version (6.32.3) is installed. Do you guys never learn? DON'T call it "Current" and DON'T make it default download option.
Now I can only hope its a good one, not a new disaster in the make...... (and its only a single client... pff)

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: 6.32.3 [CURRENT] version released!

Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:16 pm

This morning found a client that still wasn't upgraded to 6.32.2 so started the auto upgrade script and AGAIN to my surprise a new 'current' version (6.32.3) is installed. Do you guys never learn? DON'T call it "Current" and DON'T make it default download option.
I would suggest you to use older auto-update feature (look for older feature),
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Up ... to-upgrade
It will provide you with better control over upgrades in your network.

ufm
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:20 pm

In this release added some bugfixes. Well, where 6.30.5 (bugfix release)?

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:24 pm

ufm, 6.32.3 is new current version, current version can include new features and fixes.

dada
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:33 pm

Same story happens again: 6.32.2 [current] was pretty stable after being around for some weeks without too many new comments or disasters.
Now I can only hope its a good one, not a new disaster in the make...... (and its only a single client... pff)
I never use(d) auto upgrade feature. I always upload the desired image manually. I really don't know why to use the autoupgrade feature.
And if we want to upgrade many radios we use scripts which upload selected image and do all the dirty work (upgrading routerBOOT enabling th eproper wireless package, checking that the settings are really ok, etc)...

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:40 pm

I would suggest you to use older auto-update feature (look for older feature),
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Up ... to-upgrade
It will provide you with better control over upgrades in your network.
I'll guess indeed I have to setup this work around.... :(

I still think the word "Current" is not right. It should be "new" or "latest".
"Current" to many people means the 'going' one, so the one that is good, safe, no surprises and recommended.
Its the preferred one to download and install.

This version is 'new' so only time will tell if any of the words "good", "safe", "no surprises" are covering the cargo......
Only after some weeks we can decide this is the preferred version. Its proven too many times things can go disastrous if a 'current' version is used as 'recommended' upgrade.......

This is the last I'm saying about this topic. It seems you guys won't change anyway...... :( :(

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:43 pm

What problem was this? Did it happen on each nv2 running radio? I had some backhauls stalling after weeks of running, could this have to do with it?

Any info on this?
Like I said, I had some NetMetals stop passing traffic after weeks of running normally. Can it be it was this bug stopping it?
If so I need to upgrade. If not, I might as well wait to have this version see survive the next weeks....

macgaiver
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:44 pm

x.yy.zz
x - main version
yy - iteration of new feature set
zz - iteration of bug fixes for that feature set

It looks like MT is steadily moving v6.32.x version towards a good bug-fix version, by additionally proving it in Current channel, while 6.33 is under construction. You can't just simply put a new version in bugfix channel, it need to be higher than usual quality to become a bugfix version.

so all looks logical/clear to me.

UMarcus
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:51 pm

ufm, 6.32.3 is new current version, current version can include new features and fixes.
Sorry, but I did not understand your versioning strategy at all :?

I know there was an thread to discuss, but may be you could give again an short explanation ?

What is the difference to set the version to 6.32.3 or 6.33.0, actual my unterstanding was that :

6.32.3 is a new release of 6.32.2 which contain bug fixes (last counter for bugfixes)
6.33.0 is a new release which contain new feautres (may be bug fixes) (middle counter for new features)

But you wrote can 'include new features', what is correct for 6.32.0 and 6.33.0 but not for 6.32.3 or i'm wrong ?

When do you decide to set the middle counter and when set the last counter ?

btw..
What ufm is asking for, and I'm too is : In 6.23.3 are a lot of buges fixed, may be some of that still in 6.30.x and should also fixed what lead into 6.30.5 ?

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:09 pm

x.yy.zz
x - main version
yy - iteration of new feature set
zz - iteration of bug fixes for that feature set

It looks like MT is steadily moving v6.32.x version towards a good bug-fix version, by additionally proving it in Current channel, while 6.33 is under construction. You can't just simply put a new version in bugfix channel, it need to be higher than usual quality to become a bugfix version.

so all looks logical/clear to me.
How can that be? You yourself write that "yy" means new feature set where "zz" means bug fixes for that feature set.

Now MT comes with a new "zz" version but instead of bug fixes it also has several 'new' features. In your wording increasing "zz" means only bug fixes. Increasing "yy" means new features.
We see now increased "zz" but also get new features jeopardizing this existing version. You must agree the new features should have an increase "yy" number....

So if you say it is logical/clear to you, you have a weird way of thinking. As the editor after you also states; it is not clear at all....

The bottom line is; 6.32.3 brings new features and/or bug fixes to 6.32.2. Just because of that simple fact it CANNOT be called a "current" version if "Current" in normal English means "the going one" and where any user should get the impression that a "going one" is a version that is safe, tested and recommended.
This is proven now many times it is just not the case...... pffff

macgaiver
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:10 pm

What does version number have to do with channel it is published on??? those are two separate things.

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Version naming

Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:35 pm

Screenshot 2015-10-20 14.08.05.png
Let's open MikroTik.com download page.

current (channel) = new features + fixes*.
bugfix (channel) = fixes.

* - "new features+fixes" means latest tested features and fixes.

Let's have a closer look at 6.32
At the moment current channel is 6.32.3, the previous current version was 6.32.2. There are only bugfixes added to 6.32.3

New features are (will be) added to 6.33, they are already present in 6.33rc (Release candidate channel).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:10 pm

We should settle the naming for ROS6:

Legacy - all versions prior 6.30 as they are not actively maintained.
Stable - 6.30.yy which means 6.30 plus fix pack no. "yy" - the best WORKING version with known limitations
Current - 6.32.xx - production version + fix/enhancement pack "xx" for all with stronger heart :-)
RC - Cutting edge version for testers, stuntmans and other barmy people

When RC becomes Current then we shift all names one level up.
The main question is if Current should receive new enhancements or stay only with fix packs to become Stable as soon as possible.
IMHO new features should go to RC and Current should receive only fix packs.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:18 pm

Ok, now it seems to be clear; 6.32.3 is just a newer version for 6.32.2 with mainly bugfixes and maybe some new features.
That could have been answered on my first post.

Since you guys keep on calling it "Current" it means it is a 100% (well, 99% :) ) reliable version that everybody can download and install without putting his network or router to a risk of failure by newly introduced errors. Good.

Ok, fingers crossed.....

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:20 pm

Any info on this?
Like I said, I had some NetMetals stop passing traffic after weeks of running normally. Can it be it was this bug stopping it?
If so I need to upgrade. If not, I might as well wait to have this version see survive the next weeks....
Specific question, no answer?

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:20 pm

WirelessRudy
I replied to the particular question in main thread.
I copy answer here,
nv2 fix was added to fix router occasional reboots in the specific configuration.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:42 pm

WirelessRudy
I replied to the particular question in main thread.
I copy answer here,
nv2 fix was added to fix router occasional reboots in the specific configuration.
?? Can't find it, this is still the main tread, even although the name is changed....
But anyway, question is answered, it doesn't apply to me... :D