Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

flacoste
just joined
Topic Author

2 wan failover and some clarifications

Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:11 pm

Hello people,

I'm fighting with this mikrotik router. (I'm very new with this devices).

I have a Mikrotik with 2 internet lines connected. A cable modem, and a DSL connection.

I was asked to configure a failover between this 2 lines. you know, if one goes down, the other comes up.

When I was looking for information about this, I saw that the WAN1 (primary) has distance cost of 10... and the WAN2 (backup) has distance cost of 1.

Theoretically.... all host should be going out through WAN2... because is the smaller distance cost. But that is not what is happening. Everything is going out through WAN1.

WAN2, is connected, I have an external IP address automatically assigned, and every time in a while I see some Tx/Rx traffic on it.
Another doubt I have is... I have a WAN2 interface for the DSL... and another called PPPoE.... wich one is the good one? Both? are they automatically linked somehow?

And finally... once I have this clarified, How can I do the Failover thing so I can have redundancy between both lines.

Please feel free to ask me to send you any kind of log, or configuration about my enviroment.

Please forgive my lack of knowledge regarding this devices, I'm really newbie with mikrotik devices.

Thanks in advance!

flacoste
just joined
Topic Author

Re: 2 wan failover and some clarifications

Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:35 pm

Anyone has any idea?

gabrielpike
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: 2 wan failover and some clarifications

Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:47 pm