Community discussions

MikroTik App

Maxair
just joined
Topic Author

Upgrading 4 towers to Mikrotik: request for help

Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:53 pm

Im a small wisp in Northern BC, Canada.
I have 5 towers and roughly 250 customers.
it was recommended that I go to mikrotik routers to over come some network storming issues I had.

after some research, I went with mikrotik,
I have nothing more then basic routing setup, I don't have time to learn new coding to get the best out of the equipment.
is it possible here to find some one with the experience to help setup my network, (with appropriate compensation) so that Im not wasting my time by trial and error. or messing up my customers.

so far I really like the routers.. just not the learning curve to get the max out of them.

thanks in advance
Max

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:14 am

Seems your network runs well so what do you want to change on it?

alunix
just joined

Re: Upgrading 4 towers to Mikrotik: request for help

Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:52 pm

you Have the Best Option, i guess mikrotik is the good choice.
Customer Happy !!! :D

Maxair
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:51 pm

network is getting bigger, I will have over 350 customers by the end of the year and over 600 by next year.
The network wasn't running the way I would like it. thus the mikrotik upgrade.

I have no bandwidth control or monitoring system in place with the mikrotiks installed at this point.

I know it is possible, but, I don't have time to learn while I do this upgrade, better to have someone that knows what they are doing take a look at it and just get it done, Im aware of the capacity of the mikrotiks and look forward to having them fully functioning on the network. I also know that Im not the one that can do it within the timeline I have in front of me.

I have made my small success knowing what my limits are and not being afraid to have another more experienced take over and area that I am not familiar with. Im very good at what I do, setting up the mikrotiks is not it.

So again, Im am more then happy and willing to temporarily (maybe longer) partner up with a capable person that is willing to help out with a fast growing company.

the work can be done by remote access, any physical needs I can handle here as well as on the mountains.

Thanks again

Max

cdemers
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:20 am

What is your configuration? Routed or bridged?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Maxair
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:58 pm

Routed

the reason being was that I was all hard coded ip's for the network, but got to big and that caused some network storming.

so to clear that up I went to dhcp for each sectoral antenna I have and used the mikrotiks routing back to the backbone.

this in theory would limit my jabber between client radios, which it has on the towers I have converted over.

I have 2 towers on the mikrotiks now, and today Im back up the mountain to install the 3rd mikrotik on the 3rd tower.

Max

zyzelis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:27 pm

It seems i have similar network, and i can share my experience with issues

Maxair
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:36 pm

I think my first concern is to make sure my routing that I have is setup properly,

as well as the dhcp is setup to be effective.

I had a friend who is a network guy set it up, it works, but he doesn't know the mikrotiks either..

Max

bkuhn
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:57 pm

Are you running a dynamic routing protocol across the backbone or are you static routed?

Maxair
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:56 am

static

samsung172
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:40 am

1. Use pppoe. 2. use pppoe. 3 use pppoe. 4. use pppoe. :D

Its soooo easy, if you want to run an ISP - setup pppoe in your mikrotik. There is 100's of ways doning this - and its only a matter of how you want your network. My suggestion :

1. Setup dude - monitoring your network
2. Setup a router/gateway- that will handle the customer (ols dhcp server) by pppoe.
3. somehow add user/pass/speed profile to this. most easy . add one user, one pass- and one speed- and allow multiple connection. add your dhcp scope to ip pool. and set at remote ip.

Then you have shaping in queues.

Maxair
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:08 pm

as you said there are 100's of ways of doing this..

I don't know the first one.

so going back to my request, is there someone who can work with me to improve my network..

I would need someone with good mikrotik and ubiquiti experience..

what is needed for the network is not complicated, I just don't know it and need someone who does..

StubArea51
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:21 pm

Im a small wisp in Northern BC, Canada.
I have 5 towers and roughly 250 customers.
it was recommended that I go to mikrotik routers to over come some network storming issues I had.

after some research, I went with mikrotik,
I have nothing more then basic routing setup, I don't have time to learn new coding to get the best out of the equipment.
is it possible here to find some one with the experience to help setup my network, (with appropriate compensation) so that Im not wasting my time by trial and error. or messing up my customers.

so far I really like the routers.. just not the learning curve to get the max out of them.

thanks in advance
Max
Max,

We have a great deal of experience with supporting WISPs in Canada (as well as globally) with design and implementation help. Please visit our contact page or send me a PM if you would like professional consulting.

http://www.iparchitechs.com/contact-us/