Community discussions

MikroTik App

joelwhrs
just joined
Topic Author

IPSec Phase 1 fails on restart, multiple IPs

Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:22 am

I am having an issue with Phase 1 of 2 IPSec connections failing on a router restart. It is showing as a Phase 1 timeout error.
As soon as I disable all external IP addresses (there are 4, all in the same subnet) except for the IP being used by the IPSec connection, it works. I can re-enable these IP addresses and it continues working. I can even disable the IPSec connection, flush the remote peers, kill all the IPSec connections and it works as soon as I re-enable the IPSec connection. Phase 1 is configured with a Src. Address.

Any ideas?

joelwhrs
just joined
Topic Author

Re: IPSec Phase 1 fails on restart, multiple IPs

Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:53 am

I tried adding some routes to the remote IP address with a preferred IP of the one that I want it to use. This didn't make any difference except when I disabled my IP addresses, my IPSec connection didn't come up again. I had to remove the routes, disable the IP addresses and then restart for it to work. Is this a configuration issue or a bug? It's quite unhandy to always have to go through this after a restart.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:20 am

Maybe you forgot to allow UDP port 500 and/or protocol ESP/AH for input?
It will work ok when a router makes the outgoing connection and traffic keeps flowing, due to the ESTABLISHED rule, but when one side is rebooted the link may be dead.

joelwhrs
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:02 pm

Maybe you forgot to allow UDP port 500 and/or protocol ESP/AH for input?
It will work ok when a router makes the outgoing connection and traffic keeps flowing, due to the ESTABLISHED rule, but when one side is rebooted the link may be dead.
There is a rule for this. I was suspecting this as well but it only reconnects when I disable all IP's except for the one that's used by the IPSec connection. If this were the case it would also block it with those IP's disabled.

joelwhrs
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:56 pm

Should I assume this is a bug and file a bug report?

royalpublishing
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:40 pm

I am on 6.33 and I have just dealt with this ongoing issue for like over a year now and I am getting extremely frustrated by this. It seems like this problem just randomly pops up once every few months or so and this morning was one of them. It's not a firewall issue here, all VPN routers have input rules to allow all traffic. Even after a reboot of all routers involved, they still won't connect which just blows my mind. Disabling the non tunnel related IP addresses, IPsec rules, flushing the SA's, and re-enabling rules didn't seem to work for me however I was not onsite and had to connect remotely via winbox and had to be extremely careful not to lock myself out. It seems like the outages where these messages are displayed in the event logs last for around 30 minutes at a time and then traffic starts passing again.
Last edited by royalpublishing on Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:31 am, edited 4 times in total.

joelwhrs
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:20 pm

My issue is that the IPsec trunk doesn't connect at all. So far it has worked to disable all the IP addresses except for the IP address that IPsec uses. As soon as they are disable it connects and then I can re-enable everything and it stays up. I can even terminate the IPsec connection and upon re-enabling, it reconnects immediately. It's extremely frustrating and definitely seems to be a bug.

ALDISBEHMANIS
just joined

Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:37 pm

I have more or less the same problem that cannot be solved at the moment ... at least by me :(

Problem is in fact that MT tries to reach gateway from lowest IP number.
For ex. if you have .3, .2, .1 on WAN and ipsec is made from .2 then MT is trying to push all traffic through .1 address to gateway. It NATs your .2 outgoing traffic to .1 and sends it out from .1 to remote end of ipsec.
How to solve this i have no idea :(
Tried everything i could come up with. Including ipsec-peer-local ip = .....2, adding AS routes with preferred source etc .... nothing seems to help in normal way.
To get it running disable/enable .1 ip on WAN (.2 becomes preferred output IP) and it is working till reboot when .1 comes to preferred output ip again :(

joelwhrs
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:57 pm

I have more or less the same problem that cannot be solved at the moment ... at least by me :(

Problem is in fact that MT tries to reach gateway from lowest IP number.
For ex. if you have .3, .2, .1 on WAN and ipsec is made from .2 then MT is trying to push all traffic through .1 address to gateway. It NATs your .2 outgoing traffic to .1 and sends it out from .1 to remote end of ipsec.
How to solve this i have no idea :(
Tried everything i could come up with. Including ipsec-peer-local ip = .....2, adding AS routes with preferred source etc .... nothing seems to help in normal way.
To get it running disable/enable .1 ip on WAN (.2 becomes preferred output IP) and it is working till reboot when .1 comes to preferred output ip again :(
Sounds exactly like my issue. What seems really strange is the fact that there is an option to select the SA Source Address within Phase 1 of the IPSec rule. I would have imagined that this is the IP that it would use as the source address.

ALDISBEHMANIS
just joined

Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:34 pm

It actually is replay IP but this MF NATs your source ip to his default ip for reaching GW :/
I have no idea how to change this situation :(
Using "smallest" ip for ipsecs is simply stupid idea .....even it will work .....

ALDISBEHMANIS
just joined

Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:33 pm

ok. i got the solution!

1) Probably all your ip's on WAN have equal mask .... that is wrong. All except one has to have /32 (assuming all of them have same gateway ip)
2.0) Firewall - NAT add rule on top (before your masquerade) src-nat dest-addr <your remote peer ip> protocol 50 action=accept
2.1) Firewall - NAT add rule on top (before your masquerade) src-nat dest-addr <your remote peer ip> protocol 17 port 500 action=accept
3) Of course don't forget to add one more accept rule before masquerade:
source-addr local-subnet remote-addr remote-subnet action=accept <-- lets your packets enter tunnel
4) Check that you have filter rules that accept ipsec protocols and ports

Don't forget to reboot both routers so all wrong connections (from wrong IPs) get killed. Or kill them manually on both ends.

....fuck .... it took me 2 days to get it running :)

joelwhrs
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:41 pm

Perfect! I had a value for network set on the Address list as well. I had to remove that when I took the /28 subnet off or it wouldn't communicate to my gateway.

Thanks!!

royalpublishing
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:36 pm

ok. i got the solution!

1) Probably all your ip's on WAN have equal mask .... that is wrong. All except one has to have /32 (assuming all of them have same gateway ip)
2.0) Firewall - NAT add rule on top (before your masquerade) src-nat dest-addr <your remote peer ip> protocol 50 action=accept
2.1) Firewall - NAT add rule on top (before your masquerade) src-nat dest-addr <your remote peer ip> protocol 17 port 500 action=accept
source-addr local-subnet remote-addr remote-subnet action=accept <-- lets your packets enter tunnel

Don't forget to reboot both routers so all wrong connections (from wrong IPs) get killed. Or kill them manually on both ends.

....f**k .... it took me 2 days to get it running :)
Crap, I still seem to have this problem even though all of my additional static NAT IP addresses are already using a /32 and the only one that actually uses the correct subnet mask is the WAN IP of that interface. Also, just to clear things up, on your 2.1) statement, you didn't specify whether the port 500 on the NAT rule was src or dst port.

joelwhrs
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:46 pm

ok. i got the solution!

....f**k .... it took me 2 days to get it running :)
Crap, I still seem to have this problem even though all of my additional static NAT IP addresses are already using a /32 and the only one that actually uses the correct subnet mask is the WAN IP of that interface. Also, just to clear things up, on your 2.1) statement, you didn't specify whether the port 500 on the NAT rule was src or dst port.
I setup mine for any port. Also check your addresses and make sure that the address entered in the "Network" field is the same as the address entered in the "Address" field, minus the subnet mask. This was causing most of my problems.

royalpublishing
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:18 pm

Just out of curiosity, are you using Dead Peer Detection on your IPSec Peers? I have it disabled on my end and I'm wondering if any time there is a drop out on the network it could have anything to do with my issue.

joelwhrs
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:51 pm

Dead peer detection is disabled on mine.

What exactly is happening with your connection?

royalpublishing
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:41 pm

Dead peer detection is disabled on mine.

What exactly is happening with your connection?
Every once in a while, I'll get errors like this in the log and the VPN doesn't seem to want to re-establish the connnection for long periods of time.

phase1 negotiation failed due to send error. 11.22.33.44[500]<=>44.33.22.11 053e1ceacf95ca3b:3c9b14518f30b19c

I tried adding these additional NAT rules at the top of my list, will have to wait and see if the problem comes back.

royalpublishing
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:08 pm

I am still having this sporadic problem after adding all of the aforementioned NAT rules etc. As I mentioned before, whenever this happens, all VPN traffic stops flowing between the two sites. I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this issue any further, does anybody have any suggestions for me to try?

mattstephenson

Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:32 am

I have this also on previous versions but still on 6.38.5 and at multiple different sites with RB3011.

This is usually evident at router startup, but does seem to have sporadically, perhaps when there is a drop in the connection at either end.

I have left it for hours and it still just fills up the log with errors.

By emptying the 'remote peers', the connections instantly rebuild and change to 'established'.

sjoram
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:06 pm

Hi all,

I just came across this after a software upgrade to ROS, so it must be a change in behaviour between versions.

I had a srcnat rule at the top of my NAT rules

chain=srcnat
src=10.0.0.0/8
dst=10.0.0.0/8
action=accept

It would appear this was masquerading the lowest IP on the WAN interface. Like others, I disabled the other IPs and it worked.

I changed the rule to

chain=srcnat
src=10.0.0.0/8
dst=10.0.0.0/8
out-interface=<PPPoEClient>
action=src-nat
to-address=<correct public IP>

Then re-enabled the other public IPs, killed the active peers and session re-established OK. This appears to be causing some side effects on the LAN side, which I'm investigating.

sjoram
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:46 pm

Update: Had to revert my change as it re-introduced a problem of traffic only being initiated one way across the IPSec tunnel.

In my setup, the IPs on my /29 subnet are only used in filter/NAT rules, so I was able to move them to another disused interface to take them off the WAN. With this in place, my original srcnat/accept rule allows two-way traffic and all input/NAT traffic for the /29 still seems to work.

This may not work for everyone, of course.