Community discussions

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Batch of poor equipped router boards

Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:34 pm

I just purchased 20 x rb911Lite5 dual's and they came equipped with ROSv3.30.2.
(We all know this was the disaster version...)

Our normal procedure is at first connection we do a mac-winbox version; disable the default config, upload the latest ROS version packages I need and reboot.
Normally it gives me a clean routerboard with the latest version. We put a script, run it, it ends with a firmware update and reboot and we're done...

But after the first update boards doesn't boot no more.
Picked another board of the batch, tried with 3.32 and the same, no more boot
Took yet again a new board, tried 3.27, reboot and no, no more boot.
Took the 4rd board. Removed standard config and rebooted. Board still works, put IP on the ethernet port and went for system / packages and download and reboot latest current version. Board reboots and doesn't come up no more...

Finally took no. 5 board, after removal of standard config put mine on it first. Reboot and it still worked (with 3.30.2 off course) Now uploaded version 3.27 in the package I need and clicked on 'downgrade'. Board takes 5 mins to do it but in the end it works!
After that I can update it to 3.33 and it still works.... :D

Took all the failed boards, did netinstall to them (that on some took 4 or 5 attempts) and after more than 5 mins they came up with 3.27.
After that installed my script, connected to the internet and downloaded en reboot to 3.33. They work now again...

So the 3.30.2 version the boards came from are obviously not good. Well, we knew that. But I don't understand why the manufacturer loads new boards with a software version actually taken offline within a day because of its disastrous nature!
Bad bad bad. :shock:
Show your appreciation of this post by giving me Karma! Thanks.

Rudy R. Puister

WISP operator based on MT routerboard & ROS.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Batch of poor equipped router boards

Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:46 pm

i suggest you tho change the topic name for some related to problem, im sure many people can help

i dont have any rb911 to test

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Re: Batch of wrong software equipped router boards

Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:10 pm

i suggest you tho change the topic name for some related to problem, im sure many people can help

i dont have any rb911 to test
Need no help. The post shows I found a work around. It's more a critic I post.... :shock:

Rudy R. Puister

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:44 pm

Are you sure with version 3.x?

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:02 am

Sorry, it is actually 6.30.4 they come with.

Rudy R. Puister

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:10 pm

No matter in which order I try, after an install of any package the board stays without response. The only way to get it back is to do a netinstall. Recovered 6 boards now.

This morning started with no. 7, can't even do a netinstall anymore..... :(
The board is visible, the package of choice are offered but that's it. No installing, nothing.

Don't know what to do with this one now....

Rudy R. Puister

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:22 pm

What is wrong with 6.30.4? It is a pretty good version.
No matter in which order I try, after an install of any package the board stays without response. The only way to get it back is to do a netinstall. Recovered 6 boards now.
How are you upgrading? FTP, Winbox check for updates, other way?
No answer to your question? How to write posts

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:08 pm

Our normal procedure performed on about 1000+ units:

1 Connect to board with ethernet to an office network switch
2 When unit pops up on a PC in winbox neigbour we click on the mac address and enter the unit
3 When the 'default config' option question is asked, we click it away (remove) and set dhcp-client on ether1
4 When unit has IP address from our office network dhcp-server we upload by 'click and drag' the 4 packages (system, wireless-fp, dhcp and advanced-tools) we upload from the desktop into the winbox window of the unit.
5 When upload is finished we check if all 4 are brown (the picto) and thus OK.
6 We reboot the router
7 After reboot we login by the IP address and drag and paste from text program a pre configure script that ends with a firmware upgrade.
8 After reboot the unit should also be connected to our AP on the roof since we pre configure for that antenna. We check the signal and if all looks fine we move to 9
9 Change settings so unit will get client name and connect to assigned AP. AP in meantime has been made ready for this specific CPE.
10. Unit is ready for installation by field installer...

The batch we have now:
Step 1 to step 6 are the same
7 Unit is not booting.

We also tried to install our script while the full installed package (3.30.4 in this case) still on and uploaded our script. Unit still works fine. After that we perform upgrade like "4" and after reboot the units won't boot no more.

We also tried to install our script while the full installed package (3.30.4 in this case) still on and go for the internet upgrade option. After reboot the unit won't boot.

We tried the unit with the full installed package without uploading any script. So standard factory script is active. We login by mac and either 'drag and paste' or perform internet upgrade. Both ways, after reboot unit won't boot no more.

So we had a whole pile of boards....

I setup laptop with netinstall 3.33 and connected unit according manual. We selected the 4 packages of choice v.3.27 for the upload and after the unit appears in the list we click on 'install' and the unit shows its formats land, installs what is needed and finally install the packages. After reboot the unit works fine.
We can then upgrade and upload script, or upload script and then upgrade, all fine. Unit works without problems...

Out of 8 failing units we have now 7 recovered.
But no. 8 is not even allowing the netinstall..... It sort of 'hangs' with "offering" and after some secs the message disappears and nothing happens anymore..... It seems no format, no upload, no install and no reboot takes place.....

I seldom have issues with or way of upgrading and I have never seen a netinstall not working......

Rudy R. Puister

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:22 pm

What is wrong with 6.30.4? It is a pretty good version.
I thought it was the disaster version. But anyway, if it was or not, this batch has 6.30.4 and it give me problems I never had. Only after format and re-install I can get the board to work again.
Maybe in the production process some sector error was passed from the master hd towards the boards causing the issue.

It was not such a big thing since I could re-vive them with netinstall. Until now I have one board that can't even do that....

Rudy R. Puister