MikroTik App

gius64
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Two wireless backhauls with variable speed

Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:14 pm

Hello everyone,
I have a RouterOS router (CCR1009) connected to two third-party wireless backhaul (17GHz).

They make differents path to reach the same router (my gateway) which have fiber internet connection.

The wireless backhauls have variable speed using ACM, and I already monitor that speed using SNMP, so I have in my system the speed of each link in download and upload (two different speeds, not half-duplex).

Normally, they both have the same speeds, but when there is bad weather is possible that one links have a slower speed than another or that one link is down.

How can I set the router to achive:
1) Traffic going through both links to have load balancing
2) Traffic going through one link only if the other one is down
?

I can use API from my server to the CCR to edit parameters when the speed changes with a little delay (one minute max), because obviously the router can't know how much traffic can pass by each link unless I don't set it.

Currently i'm only using one link as failover using OSPF, but, as I have more bandwidth request, I would like to have also load balancing.
How do you think it's possible to achieve these things?

If possible, I would like to have not a connection based load balancing, but a per-packet load balancing, as I would like to use each link at his maximum.

To understand:
If I have two links connected at 600Mbps each, I would like to make 1200Mbps total traffic from the router to the internet (600+600), and if I have one link at 300 and one at 100, I would like to make 400Mbps total traffic, even on single connection.

Thank you very much for your help!

dgnome
just joined

Re: Two wireless backhauls with variable speed

Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:58 am

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Load_Bala ... troduction
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:In ... balance-rr

There are caveats with per packet load balancing: packets may and will arrive out of order, resulting in TCP re-transmits and possibly unreliable UDP-streams, depending on application.

I'd personally recommend balance-alb or LACP with layer-2-and-layer-3 transmit hash policy.

gius64
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:42 pm

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Load_Bala ... troduction
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:In ... balance-rr

There are caveats with per packet load balancing: packets may and will arrive out of order, resulting in TCP re-transmits and possibly unreliable UDP-streams, depending on application.

I'd personally recommend balance-alb or LACP with layer-2-and-layer-3 transmit hash policy.
Thank you very much dgnome! If per packet load balancing could give me issue, I prefer going to connection based load balancing...
About your suggestion, I read balance-alb is not supported in all devices. I have CCR1009, do you know if it's supported?

I have a ring topology, so I would need all these things (redundancy/max throughput) on each node.
Is it possible using bonding and balance-alb?

Do you had any experience on that? Is it working good?

This seems to be interesting for me:
http://mum.mikrotik.com/presentations/P ... rkshop.pdf

Do you know something about MPLE TE which can help?

dgnome
just joined

Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:41 pm

Hi!

Sorry for the late reply. Did you solve your "challenge"?

gius64
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:43 pm

Unfortunately not!
I'm still searching for a good way to solve this issue.

dgnome
just joined

Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:59 pm

What was your physical topology again?

gius64
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:48 am

It's a ring topology!

dgnome
just joined

Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:22 pm

A ring with how many nodes? All Mikrotik?

gius64
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:42 am

I'll create a network diagram if you prefer, but I have 8 nodes, all with mikrotik routers, and I would like to balance traffic between them without having to force all traffic in a direction.
At this time, using OSPF costs, I manually set some traffic in a part of the ring and other traffic in other part, but I can't say how much Mbps I would like to send and I can't check the backbone speed...

dgnome
just joined

Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:04 pm

Please draw a generic picture, it might help the creative process. By the sound of eight nodes in a ring, then your only option is OSPF with ECMP.

Bonding only applies to physical links and adding links between nodes does not seem like an option.