Community discussions

MikroTik App

infused
Topic Author

Marking Packets/Connections

Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:58 pm

Hi Guys.

Just a little confused on Mangle, and need some clarification on the queues that go along with it.

Generally I build a Queue Tree with slightly less available bandwidth than the connection has, in order to make the limiting work.

I have been marking packets as in my mind,it doesn't allow anything to slip through. I know this is more CPU intensive. But this is generally on CCRs, so it doesn't seem to matter.

Couple of questions:

1. If I mark a connection, is the only real benefit of this a) NAT, marks back and forth traffic b) less cpu intensive
2. If I mark a packet, I assume I have to re-mark them on return using a second rule?
3. When is it best to use pre-routing/post-routing or just plain old forward?

I have an issue at the moment where I have a mangle rule that marks connections going out the wan with a destination of port 80, 443 (web traffic). I have a rule under this that is the same, but marks packets that are not already marked. Why is some stuff slipping through?
1    ;;; web traffic (new connections, mark connection)
      chain=forward action=mark-connection new-connection-mark=mang-web passthrough=no connection-state=new protocol=tcp src-address=192.168.142.0/24 
      out-interface=ether1-WAN dst-port=80,443 log=no log-prefix="" 

2    ;;; web traffic (mark slipped packets)
      chain=forward action=mark-packet new-packet-mark=mang-web passthrough=no protocol=tcp src-address=192.168.142.0/24 out-interface=ether1-WAN 
      dst-port=80,443 connection-mark=!mang-web log=no log-prefix=""

Is there any best practice for any of this stuff?

Arcee
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:38 am

There's a little secret that not much people know... If a connection or packet does not get mark by a rule you created, it gets marked as "no mark".

Unless I'm mistaken, you don't need that second mangle rule.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

infused
Topic Author

Re:

Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:15 am

There's a little secret that not much people know... If a connection or packet does not get mark by a rule you created, it gets marked as "no mark".

Unless I'm mistaken, you don't need that second mangle rule.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Yep - I do know that. But don't think that will help in this case?