Community discussions

MikroTik App

DIoXIDaZ
Topic Author

hAP AC availability

Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:03 pm

Hey,
maybe any one know when it could be possible to see hAP AC device on distributors shops?
First i have seen notifications in bulletin in some MUM, and one on twitter https://twitter.com/mikrotik_com/status ... 3957304320
But afte that everything is quiet :)

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: hAP AC availability

Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:38 pm

i am waiting too but my clients not, have to install unifi ap until mikrotik comes with the hAP AC

spippan

Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:12 pm

as soon as that little snitch is out i will get 2 of them in combination with a SXT LTE ;) will replace my RB2011UAS-2HnD and my RB951Ui-2HnD

looking so forward to it *_*

jmontero
just joined

Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:14 pm

Waiting for hAP AC to have Gigabit Ethernet ports...

G2Dolphin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:34 pm

Definitely will have. I'm hoping for 128MB flash storage, not these cheap 16MB NAND's.

spippan

Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:18 pm

Definitely will have. I'm hoping for 128MB flash storage, not these cheap 16MB NAND's.
true that ;)
16 MB would be a shame, but i guess that MT will not release it with such limitation!

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:42 pm

i think thats too much (for "budget", low-cost SOHO device)
im okay with SPI, but see 2x or 4x increase in size - Reasonable(for safety purposes).
but prefer SLC-alike tech in it, like "SuperMLC" announced recently or SLC itself. 30x-40x more flash resource ? for "only" 1.4x-4x bigger price ??! for sure !!

G2Dolphin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:38 pm

i think thats too much (for "budget", low-cost SOHO device)
im okay with SPI, but see 2x or 4x increase in size - Reasonable(for safety purposes).
but prefer SLC-alike tech in it, like "SuperMLC" announced recently or SLC itself. 30x-40x more flash resource ? for "only" 1.4x-4x bigger price ??! for sure !!
Who said that hAP ac is a "low-cost SOHO device"? :) Comparing to other vendors 802.11ac models probably yes, but this is current flagship of hAP line.
Even low-cost and mid-cost computers have 2-4GB of fast DDR3 RAM today, it's noncense to save cents from installing this SPI 16MB memory.

Well, MikroTik knows what it's doing no matter of my theorizing.

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:54 pm

its low-cost, low-power, low-cpupower, low footprint and size, neat and cute little router :=)
i think its unreasonable to expect much from it :0)
as for pricing - its mostly because "its new", yet.
and maybe MT production partners - slightly reduce bulk prices on them over time.
anyway, its 1st (!!!!) SOHO "AC" product for end-users, i think, so its okay ~
but otherwise - you point is correct. in terms of bang/buck - some vendors offer more attractive combinations(but most of them - produced relatively long ago)in that niche of market.

IntrusDave
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:00 pm

I think some of you are forgetting it's name... hAP... as in Access Point. You don't need much storage or ram to run an access point. This isn't intended to be routing or filtering. It certainly can do small amounts of that, but the key is still Access Point. An access point only really needs the System, Wireless-FP, and maybe DHCP packages. That's about 14MB of storage. Add Advanced Tools, Security and NTP and you are up to 15MB. Just what is needed to run as an access point, with say 50 clients, you will need about 16~24MB ram.

So, the hAP AC Lite has 64M ram - roughly double what you really need. A 650MHz CPU, again - double what you really need. and 16MB NAND. Enough to hold what is needed and a few extras.

At $41USD, I think it's more than meeting what was expected out of it. The closest thing that you will find to it is the Western Digital My Net N600 HD Dual-Band Router at $70USD and I promise you that it will not give you the flexibility of the hAP AC Lite.

G2Dolphin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:53 am

I think some of you are forgetting it's name... hAP... as in Access Point.
Despite the name, APs doesn't need an fire gigabit ethernet ports and really big cpu power, sometimes even SFP too.
hAP ac obviously is more than just an AP, seems like it's positioning is to replace old 951G, and I want from this device the same possibilities.

Talking about hAP ac lite — 100Mbit ethernet ports definitely isn't what I "need" today.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:12 pm

definitively

it never rains to everyone's taste :lol: