Community discussions

MikroTik App

eddieb
Topic Author

stop MT triggering CISCO BPDU guard

Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:17 pm

Hi,

we are connecting some CRS-125 configured as switches to an CISCO switch.
both switches should NOT see each other switch net works ...
edge-edge connection ...

But, we are not able to stop switch packets on the connection, the Cisco keeps shutting the port as bpdu-guard kicks in.
What setting do we need to change to stop the MT triggering this ?

regards,

Eddie

robertkjonesjr
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: stop MT triggering CISCO BPDU guard

Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:37 pm

Some options:

1. Disable bpduguard on the Cisco device. I don't recommend this, but it would keep from getting the access port put into errdisable.
2. Be sure there are no bridges on the CRS - the switch chip can't do STP (it needs to... but that is a feature request) as only the software bridge can do STP or RSTP.
3. Be sure no other devices connected to the CRS are doing STP. I would expect that the CRS treats the multicast STP frames as broadcast so sends them to the Cisco. These need to be blocked/stopped too. Switches that support STP usually consume the frames, so it's less of an issue. CRS likely does not (I would have to test to be 100% sure, but a packet capture will show exactly which packets are offending in this case, and take you to the source MAC so you can stop them.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:57 am

if you have some bridge on CRS disable stp on it

eddieb
Topic Author

Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:37 pm

We just configured a CRS-125 as switch using the examples on http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:CRS_examples ...

Config is like http://www.breekeenbeen.nl/2014/12/11/m ... -bridging/

the acces port is triggering the BPDU guard on an attached cisco switch. We did some packet sniffing on an edge port and it stil sends STP packets ...
If I configure an physical port as EDGE, it should not only disable accepting STP (and related) but also disable sending out those packets ...

So the port configured as EDGE port triggers the bpdu guard on the CISCO ...

And NO, it is not allowed to disable the BPDU guard, we need to configure the CRS so that is stops triggering ...

Any suggestions ? We are really stuck here.

Regards,

Eddie