safiullahtariq
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

SMTP Traffic Routing to specific ports - Internet on other

Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:52 am

Hello All,

I need some guidance,

I am getting internet from 2 different service providers, I have made a failover script. But i am now facing a new challenge. My emails (SMTP and POP3) ports are blocked by one ISP.
What I want to do is, make one ISP my primary (on port 1) which will cater internet traffic, but not SMTP and POP3, this will go via the secondary ISP.

But when the primary internet fails, the router should work as normal failover in this case it doesnt matter if emails works or not.

Regards,

Safiullah Tariq

safiullahtariq
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: SMTP Traffic Routing to specific ports - Internet on other

Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:41 am

Will anyone give any idea :(

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:08 am

You will have to configure some special cases for that traffic into the balancing/failover mechanism that you created and did not describe.
Normally you will put in some mangle rules to mark the connections (outgoing TCP port 25, 119 etc) and then use those marks to route or block the traffic in the way you like.

safiullahtariq
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:22 am

Thanks for your reply.

failover between WANs are working fine. I did that in past with success. I know how to mark specific traffic/connection/packet via mangle, but only used that for QoS, what I dont know is how to force those to go out on a specific interface. requesting you to please provide guidance on that.

Regards,

Safiullah

safiullahtariq
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:31 pm

Hi,

My primary wan connection is 10.10.1.1 and secondary is 192.168.0.1.

I wanted my email traffic to pass via secondary WAN (always).

This is what I did and I was successful :)
/ ip firewall mangle 

add chain=prerouting action=mark-routing new-routing-mark="POP3 traffic" passthrough=no dst-port=110 protocol=tcp comment="" disabled=no 
add chain=prerouting action=mark-routing new-routing-mark="SMTP traffic" passthrough=no dst-port=25 protocol=tcp comment="" disabled=no
/ ip route 
add dst-address=0.0.0.0/0 gateway=192.168.0.1 scope=255 target-scope=10 routing-mark="POP3 traffic" comment="" disabled=no 
add dst-address=0.0.0.0/0 gateway=192.168.0.1 scope=255 target-scope=10 routing-mark="SMTP traffic" comment="" disabled=no 

Hope this helps someone in future.

Regards,

Safi