Community discussions

MikroTik App

Pharrow
just joined
Topic Author

Eoip bonding question

Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:39 am

Hi im looking to obtain faster upload and download speeds on a single connection for my company and have been doing a ton of research on the matter.

My cable provider has given me the maximum it can on a single line of internet. But 120 mbps down and 10mbps up is not fast enough for my companies purposes. Im looking at trying to double it using eoip tunnels and bonding.

The reason my question is going to be unqiue from probably dosens of people who asked this already. Is that can this setup depicted at the bottom of the page of this link be done in a local environment? :https://www.mikrotik.com/testdocs/ros/2 ... onding.php

And will it suit my needs?

If you look at the diagram it shows 2 offices and 2 isp connections in each office. Bonding them together.

Could i build the same thing by using 4 connections in my own home and creating the same structure?

Thanks in advance

galaxynet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Eoip bonding question

Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:03 pm

1) What is a 'local' environment?

2) You first speak about your company and then your home, what is it you are trying to do? Bond a connection from your home to the company and back or what?

3) Never had any real luck doing bonding w/dynamic IP addresses. Static public IP addresses - no problem bonding as many EoIP tunnels as I can get in to a device.

Thom
Thom Lawless
General Manager
RapidWiFi, LLC
thom.lawless [at] rapidwifi.com

Pharrow
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:04 am

thanks for the reply, and my apologies for not being clear i run my company from my own home(i own a few servers for hosting websites).

in the link i provided it suggested you take 2 isp connections from one office(or bedroom in my case) and make an eoip connection to the other office which also has 2 isp connections and then bond them together for faster internet speeds.

normally i would just do mlppp but the only company that offers it in my city is teksavvy and they charge hefty fees for using multiple lines (179$ in activation fees, plus the full price of the modem for each additional line). its easier for me plus cost effective to get cable lines, and Shaw Cable doesn't channel bond additional lines for you.

my question was simply asking do i need 2 offices (2 different locations) for the instructions in the link? or i could do the same setup locally within the same building using 4 isp connections and 2 bedrooms (offices)?

galaxynet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:14 pm

Pharrow -
Bonding, bonds two ends of a connection together. You have to have Mikrotiks at both ends of the connection..... If you bring in four cable connections, two to each location (within your home) yes you could bond the connection from bedroom to bedroom, but not to the rest of the world.
You can use ECMP or PCC if you only have control of one end of the connection. Neither of these two actually bond a connection, they do allow you to move data across multiple lines, but only at the speed of the line as I am sure you are aware of.

Thom
Thom Lawless
General Manager
RapidWiFi, LLC

Duduhandelman
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:26 pm

Yes you can.

I have done it before using a lot of Hardware. Switch using LACP and 4 routeros devices and another switch with LACP at the remote site.
But the bandwidth is per mac so double bandwidth from different macs.

Enjoy.

galaxynet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:39 pm

There are a lot of ways to bond connections and there is a lot of hardware/software devices you can purchase that claim (I use claim because I have only used a very few, some worked, some didn't and even those early ones that did, did not load balance properly....) to be able to bond different Internet connections in to one. Windows and Linux both have facilities to do this provided you have the right kind of NIC cards installed. Several smart switch manufacturers also claim to be able to use one or the other of the below 'protocols' to accomplish this. In the earlier versions they also warn about a single connection stream only being able to use a single physical connection for data transport.

Using LAG or LACP are certainly two of the methods that could be used....

I have a NOC at an Internet backbone so I have 'control' of both ends of my connections, so bonding using Mikrotiks at both ends works great, I get very close to the optimal spread across all the lines I am using at any given location using L3+L4. Fault tolerance is exceptionally good as well.

I have heard tell, but was never able to verify this, that a gentleman in Italy used 4 dsl lines. He connected a Mikrotik router to each one. He then connected all four Mikrotiks to a 'final' Mikrotik. Then he bonded the four dsl Mikrotiks to the final Mikrotik, then connected his system the final Mikrotik. In therory this sounds like it would work provided all the dsl lines were exactly the same - bandwidth and had the same path propagation delay to the backbone..... I personally have never tried this. I have also seen several 'rebuttals' that this method will not work.....

Guess your search will continue to find the 'right' answer for you.

Thom
Thom Lawless
General Manager
RapidWiFi, LLC

noib
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:45 pm

It does exist :)

We have done this and it works. We call this "cheap SDSL".
2 to 4 ADSL one side, and .. 2 to 4 RouterOS virtual machines hosted in the internet, so we have Mikrotik gear at both ends of the "link" and we can set ip eoip & bonding.
Total bandwidth is really aggregated even with 1 client (like 1 FTP transfer), but there are some problems:
- Due to the use of stacked tunnels (pptp, eoip, bonding), you loose like 10-20% of the bandwith.
- If one ADSL fails, well, something the bonding works as it should, sometimes the link becomes veeeery slow.
- The total bandwith is based on the worst ADSL line. For example if you have 3 lines (4Mbps, 8Mpbs, 8Mbps), then you will have 3 x 4Mbps bandwith (minus the 10-20%). You'd better bond only the two last ADSL to have 2 x 8Mbps.
- I read people saying in forums etc that bonding with DSL lines suck, due to retries, errors, small failure inherent to DSL technology. I agree with the principe, but in the facts it's working quite well (as long as all links are up). It might depend on your country and the quality of telephony lines..

Hope it helps