Community discussions

MikroTik App

n4yeem
Topic Author

Best billing/radius software to work with MikroTik

Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:28 pm

Hi....

I am a big fan MikroTik as I have several of them in my network. Currently operating as a WISP but I have plan to implement full FTTH in my local town. Right now I am managing all my clients manually via the MikrotTik (Hotspot+PPPoE). But as for the FTTH it will be very hard to maintain as the customer numbers will increase significantly. I have used DMA softlab before as a radius. I found it easy and robust but currently I am not using it as it was installed to my previous service provider. As I am looking to implement FTTH i think DMA can be a good option for now as it is quite cheap than others. But I am bit worried about the service that I am planning to provide once i implement the FTTH. I want Mikrotik to manage all the rules set by us (PCQ, Simple Queue, Firewall etc.) All I want the radius to authenticate. I have attach a picture with this for all of your references. I will be very happy to welcome any expert advice that you might have. Kindly share your expert thoughts. It will be very difficult with out knowing if it is going to work or not. Thanks attachment=0]DMA.jpg[/attachment]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Best billing/radius software to work with MikroTik

Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:14 pm

I want Mikrotik to manage all the rules set by us (PCQ, Simple Queue, Firewall etc.) All I want the radius to authenticate.
I'm not aware on your infraestructure specifics, but cannot see why not, either DMA or "regular" (Free)radius.

Not very keen on DHCP though...

Arcee
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:49 am

Bump.

Very interested in this topic.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

n4yeem
Topic Author

Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:04 pm

I want Mikrotik to manage all the rules set by us (PCQ, Simple Queue, Firewall etc.) All I want the radius to authenticate.
I'm not aware on your infraestructure specifics, but cannot see why not, either DMA or "regular" (Free)radius.

Not very keen on DHCP though...
Any idea or thoughts you can share with me with this kind of setup.. Thanks

lambert
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:41 am

I'm not really sure I've interpreted your question properly. It seems to me that you asked about billing software then went on to talk about AAA, http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/de ... accounting, tools. Billing and AAA like RADIUS should be able to be decoupled.

As long as the billing software has hooks to provision RADIUS or the MikroTiks directly, you should be okay. There are several commercial billing packages. Pricing varies. FreeSide is OpenSource, if you want to go that way. Some other's include Platypus, PowerCode, VISP.net, WISPmon, and many others which are not coming to mind right now. You mentioned DMA Softlab, which is a new one for me.

The import thing, beyond actually collecting the money, is having the provisioning hooks to stuff the configuration into whichever version of RADIUS and/or network equipment you want to use. Which one is best depends on how, exactly, you want to build your network to accomplish the goal of making money and providing network access. "Best" in these situations is purely a personal opinion. You need to review each and choose based on your requirements.

I would want the billing system to configure the MikroTiks as much as possible for per client configuration information. I roll basically the same configuration on each MikroTik to every tower router on my network. The DHCP and PPPoE services authenticate against RADIUS, FreeRADIUS, which is provisioned by our billing system every time an account's status is updated in the billing system.