Community discussions

MikroTik App

jaytcsd
Topic Author

ping can't find addresses IP scan shows

Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:19 am

[attachment=0]ping and scan.gif[/attachment]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:51 am

Can you imagine that the request device just simply doesn't want to respond?

dada
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: ping can't find addresses IP scan shows

Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:54 pm

IP scan probably doesn't relay just only on ICMP responces. It probably looks to ARP table too. If there is a device which uses IP stack but doesn't want to reply to ICMP echo request it must answer to ARP query(in other case it has no IP connectivity and it cannot communucate using IPv4 at all ). It measn ARP table is filled with IP/MAc pair of the device.

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:50 pm

THIS is the perfect example to show people why refusing to reply to pings does NOT make you invisible on the network.
There are other ways.

At work, whenever a server admin requests an IP address for a new server, even when the documentation shows an address is available, I check the ARP cache on the gateway router before I completely consider the address clear... because if a host is dropping ping requests, it will not show up with a simple ping test.

jaytcsd
Topic Author

Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:36 am

This is my first (and probably last) win 10 PC, I guess it's refusing pings by default, I only had it on long enough to install some remote control programs.

When I turned it on after reading your reply it said my files were safe and then "we'll be ready soon", that was over an hour ago, looks like it's doing a big update, or a major melt down.

If it survives the reboot I'll see why it won't respond to pings.

I looked in my ARP table and found a dozen 169.254 addresses from my Nano station, never thought to see what was in there, thanks for the tip.

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:57 pm

This is my first (and probably last) win 10 PC, I guess it's refusing pings by default, I only had it on long enough to install some remote control programs.
Yeah - Windows firewall drops pings by default when it's turned on.
You can configure it not to do this if you like.