Community discussions

tmiksa
just joined
Topic Author

Bandwidth management on home network

Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:20 pm

Hello guys. I have one simple question, how to manage bandwidth on my home network.

I have VDSL line with 16000Mbit download and 2000Mbit upload. On my network are connected mobile phones and notebooks of my childs, and I want setup QoS this way, that my computer, and my mobile phone will have everytime maximum bandwidth available even others are downloading big files or staying on P2P. When I'm not active, others will have maximum bandwidth available. How can I setup this scenarion on my Mikrotik router?

ConnectivityEngineer
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Bandwidth management on home network

Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:27 pm

Few methods - easiest if you are unsure how to operate Queues is to simply assign Simple Queues

This can be done a few ways - just limit how much bandwidth each system is given via DHCP - and then static your own and set your priority to be 1 where theirs would be placed at the back end - and given priority of 8
There are a few other methods - but If you are unsure how to play with queues - this is the quick and dirty method.

Are you comfortable with Mikrotik & Queues - or just getting started?
Glenn Kelley | MCTNA, MTCWE, MTCTCE, RHCE, RHCSS
http://Connectivity.Engineer
USA Based 24x7x365 Mikrotik, Juniper, Ubiquiti TAC & WISP / ISP Blind Label Support Call Center

ConnectivityEngineer
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:33 pm

This thread (see the end ) has a decent script if your comfortable playing in that arena

http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?t=87219

I personally like Queue Trees better - because the system (at least it was like this on version 5 of RouterOS not sure on RouterOS 6.x) goes through every simple queue until something matches - queue trees operate a bit differently where as when in a queue tree all packets will get processed at the same time ....
Glenn Kelley | MCTNA, MTCWE, MTCTCE, RHCE, RHCSS
http://Connectivity.Engineer
USA Based 24x7x365 Mikrotik, Juniper, Ubiquiti TAC & WISP / ISP Blind Label Support Call Center

tmiksa
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:08 am

Hello, I'm totally new in Microtic world, so I show you how I try to make it with queues.
2015-12-30_07-58-23.jpg
I assign static IP to every possible device on my network. Than I make queues where I put on two first places my notebook and my mobile phone. So this devices have unlimited upload and download and priority set to 1. Other devices have upload and download limited to ADSL maximum limits, priority 8 and "Limit at" set to minimum bandwidth if I will be active on my devices. Is it correct? Because I think, that this solution doesn't work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fibernetwork
just joined

Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:25 am

There is an article about traffic management on home network.
http://www.techworld.com/tutorial/netwo ... k-3207873/
Fiberstore -James

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:42 pm

I assign static IP to every possible device on my network. Than I make queues where I put on two first places my notebook and my mobile phone. So this devices have unlimited upload and download and priority set to 1. Other devices have upload and download limited to ADSL maximum limits, priority 8 and "Limit at" set to minimum bandwidth if I will be active on my devices. Is it correct? Because I think, that this solution doesn't work.
If you didn't specify a limit-at for your priority 1 queues, then this isn't going to behave the way you want.

Priority is actually more of a tie-breaker with queues. Limit-at is actually a guaranteed minimum bandwidth that is reserved for that queue. If a queue is using less than this, it will receive priority over other queues above their limit-at rates, even if it is priority 8 and the other queues are priority 1.

Basically, all guarantees are met before priorities are considered.

You should either add limit-at guarantees to your high priority queues or else remove all guaranteed minimums and let the priorities fight it out. (of course, in this model, you can hog 100% of the bandwidth and leave none for the kids)

I'd suggest that instead of a queue for each person, create a priority queue and a non-priority queue and set each one up as a PCQ type of queue, and guarantee 50% to the high priority queue, and 50% to the low priority queue.
PCQ will then enforce fair sharing by the devices which are using that queue.
When given a spoon,
you should not cling to your fork.
The soup will get cold.