I was impressed by the flexibility of Mikrotik h/w and RouterOS, so invested in it for our local network.
It has worked brilliantly with our 4 x external internet connections (3xADSL, 1xFibre) and the QoS rules required to make it all work in a medium size office.
There are two problems I am trying to solve:
1. We record and edit TB's of videos a day, but ever since I replaced our CCR1036-12G-4S backbone with a CRS226-24G-2S+RM, we have had network issues with files.
2. I want to set up an l2tp with ipsec VPN, but this has proven problematic either due to the instructions I have been following, or reported bugs in RouterOS.
I have read hundreds of posts previously about issues with both the CRS226 and l2tp/ipsec, but I think a better option is just to ask what is working for others.
My current configuration is the following:
- gateway router - RB2011UiAS-RM - v6.15 (just can't get l2tp/ipsec working)
- backbone switch - CRS226-24G-2S+RM - v6.12 (traffic errors)
- secondary switches - CRS125-24G-1S - v6.10 (seem to be pretty good)
From my previous research, 6.15 seems to be the most reliable from a gateway router perspective, although 6.18 has a lot of votes for it as well (a. queues might have some problems, b. works with l2tp and ipsec with specific hacks *FFFFFFF)
Suggestions for a single version number to use on all of them would be good, but I realise that this might not be possible.