Community discussions

MikroTik App

DirectWireless
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Redirecting SMTP

Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:54 am

I have a slight problem. I have a wireless customer with 2 internet connections, one of them ours, another is a cable company. Currently, we are their backup connection so the default route is to the cable modem. We provide their email, web and anti-spam services. It recently came to my attention they are sending all their mail via the cable provider's SMTP, which prevents our Anti-Spam Proxy from identifying "good" senders. There's over 90 computers, most of them have Deep Freeze on them, so making the change would be difficult at best. I have thought of several solutions:

1. Since they use MT for DNS relay, set a static DNS entry for the cable provider's SMTP server to point to mine.
2. Use a NAT rule (I tried all TCP 25 to DST-NAT my SMTP IP address).

The problem is slightly complicated beyond that. My SMTP server is on a different subnet than their wireless IP, so without a special policy route, it ends up going to my network the wrong way anyhow. I tried both of the above ideas, just to find that for some reason I can ping the server, but can't telnet to port 25 or visit the web mail.

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:14 pm

Rule 2 should work, you just need to make sure the traffic has a path back to them ... from the mail server can you reach the client ip subnet? Packets might be getting there but not making it back or something.

Sam

Stryker777
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:03 pm

Sounds like you need to use a route rule to set it straight. ChangeIP is correct, you should use method #2 though I would specify a destination IP in your rules so you dont snag everyone (unless that is what you want).