Community discussions

soamz
Topic Author

RSTP between a fiber link and wireless link ? Possible in Microtik ?

Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:14 pm

We have like 12 POP locations and each POP will run around 2Gbps traffic at peak hours.

We have fiber ring link to each POP and we also have wireless.

We are looking to make it auto fail over switch system.

Right now, if the fiber gets cut, we have to drive and connect the wireless cable manually.

Is there a way we can automate this ?

Im thinking to this,
http://routerboard.com/CRS112-8G-4S-IN

Can this handle 2-3Gbps traffic ?

Or even 1Gbps ?

So, basically it would be RTSP among Fiber A Path SFP 1 + Fiber B Path SFP 2 + Wireless Gigabit Port 1.

So, 3 configured.

If fiber gets from one end, then the 2nd fiber path SFP should automatically become the main.

If the 2nd fiber path is cut, then it should automatically switch to the Gigabit Port 1 which would be the wireless backhaul.

IS this something we can setup in microtik ?
Im using this,
http://routerboard.com/CRS112-8G-4S-IN

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RSTP between a fiber link and wireless link ? Possible in Microtik ?

Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:53 pm

RSTP will work, but if you have any wireless bridges that support spanning tree, they're going to need to participate in the spanning tree as well.
Every bridge must participate or else you get weird behavior.
When given a spoon,
you should not cling to your fork.
The soup will get cold.

soamz
Topic Author

Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:02 pm

RSTP will work, but if you have any wireless bridges that support spanning tree, they're going to need to participate in the spanning tree as well.
Every bridge must participate or else you get weird behavior.
Okay I dont want to make this complex.
I just need to setup the RTSP thing among those 3 feeds with Priority 1 and 2.

So, it can be worked out easily ?

Is there a good step by step tutorial by Microtik in the docs ?

And yes, most important, can this router handle that high traffic or its going to die ?

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:15 pm

CRS - make very very very sure that you're ONLY using the hardware switch features. - i.e. no bridge interfaces, no bonding interfaces, etc.

CRS cpu absolutely can not handle high traffic. CRS switch chip can do well, but make sure your traffic is hardware-switched.
When given a spoon,
The soup will get cold.

soamz
Topic Author

Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:10 pm

CRS - make very very very sure that you're ONLY using the hardware switch features. - i.e. no bridge interfaces, no bonding interfaces, etc.

CRS cpu absolutely can not handle high traffic. CRS switch chip can do well, but make sure your traffic is hardware-switched.
Confused.
Seems CRS cannot handle then.

but there is no switch in CCR series which has like 4 SFP ports and is a bit cheaper. :(

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:36 pm

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:CRS_features
and
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:CRS_examples

These pages show configurations which use hardware-based switching, which is perfectly capable of high traffic.

Check these to see if RSTP is supported by the hardware switch. If so, then the CRS should be able to do what you want... again with my original point being that if you have wireless bridges, then those bridges must also support RSTP.
When given a spoon,
The soup will get cold.

scampbell
Trainer
Trainer

RSTP between a fiber link and wireless link ? Possible in Microtik ?

Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:49 pm

If you are doing that much traffic then the ccr1016-12s might be a better investment.

The crs switch chips are good but I'm pretty sure don't support features like RSTP or LACP yet without using the CPU which architecturally is limited to 1gps to/from the CPU.

The ccr would allow you to run ospf and vpls which would make for a more intelligent architecture than switching.

Not as simple but more expandable and manageable perhaps ?

soamz
Topic Author

Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:20 am

If you are doing that much traffic then the ccr1016-12s might be a better investment.

The crs switch chips are good but I'm pretty sure don't support features like RSTP or LACP yet without using the CPU which architecturally is limited to 1gps to/from the CPU.

The ccr would allow you to run ospf and vpls which would make for a more intelligent architecture than switching.

Not as simple but more expandable and manageable perhaps ?
Any proper RSTP step by step tutorial for Microtik ?

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:39 pm

I agree with scampbell - you should use routing and not bridging for your backhaul.

A large broadcast domain can lead to all kinds of problems.
When given a spoon,
The soup will get cold.

soamz
Topic Author

Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:42 pm

I agree with scampbell - you should use routing and not bridging for your backhaul.

A large broadcast domain can lead to all kinds of problems.

On confused how to do it :(

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:04 pm

I recommend that you install GNS3 and download a copy of the CHR (cloud hosted router) virtual image from Mikrotik, and do some playing around with routing in GNS3 because a forum thread isn't an ideal place to tell you how to do routing if you've never used OSPF before.

Get started by building some basic networks, such as you'll find on the Wiki:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:OSPF-examples

OSPF will give you the ability to fully control the packet flow in your network, but switching from a bridged network to a routed network isn't just a flip of a switch. It will take some design work and some planning as to how you're going to do things, but if you set up a lab in GNS3 to play with, you should be able to learn what you're doing without worrying about breaking anything.

Basic tips - avoid using "redistribute connected" as your default way to put local interfaces into the OSPF routing table. Create a network statement instead because redistributed networks are 'second class citizens' in the OSPF table.

Make the default interface type in OSPF set to passive=yes, and then any interface where you actually want OSPF to talk to another router, create that interface manually and set passive=no.

Configure the default cost to something like 100 so that you can adjust routing in a smoother fashion later.

If you do redistribute static routes, try using some filters that allow you to easily create "private static routes" that won't go into global ospf unless you want them to.

Assign your IP addresses to POPs in contiguous blocks on CIDR boundaries:
i.e. 192.168.32-64.x is routable as a single block: 192.168.32.0/27 but 192.168.10-20.x is NOT routable as a single block.

-----

Meanwhile, your initial question about RSTP - if you use a CCR router to do RSTP, then you'll want to look at the performance tables under "routing" - yes, I know it will be bridging, but make sure it can handle routing or bridging at your anticipated traffic rates. If it can handle both, then you can create a bridge in the CCR and bridge the fiber and wireless interfaces together and use RSTP to block the wireless interface while the fiber is operational. Just go into the bridge configuration, edit the bridge and in the STP tab, set Protocol Mode to rstp.

While you're at it, make sure to go into /Bridge > Ports and check the cost values of the wireless interfaces - you want these to have a much higher value than the fiber interfaces so that they're definitely going to be seen as inferior to the fiber interfaces.
When given a spoon,
The soup will get cold.