Community discussions

JimRockford
just joined

Re: Public-Mikrotik-Bandwidth-Test-Server(s)

Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:15 am

I just don't get it. If I connect to another MikroTik on our WAN, I see a normal throughput graph, but if I connect to this one, it's a 0 flat-line like a patient in asystole. What am I missing?

macsrwe
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:59 pm

I just don't get it. If I connect to another MikroTik on our WAN, I see a normal throughput graph, but if I connect to this one, it's a 0 flat-line like a patient in asystole. What am I missing?
Sorry for what may be an obvious question, but are you connecting to it with the bandwidth test tool, or just connecting to it?

JimRockford
just joined

Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:38 pm

Thanks for the reply, and no apology necessary. I realize you have to ask in these situations. I am connecting under Tools > Bandwidth Test. When I get a connect while attached to the MikroTik via a browser I get a flat line. If I connect to a remote MikroTik across on of our VPN tunnels, I get 35 Mbps which is the upload bandwidth limitation for the remote MikroTik. Last night I found that I could connect to this one via Winbox, but when I did, I got 1200 bps (12kbps). Today if I connect via Winbox I get 0 just like browser based. Again, if I connect to our other MikroTik across the VPN via Winbox I get 35 Mbps.

aeroclown
just joined

Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:59 pm

Is the firmware out of date by chance? I'm running 6.45.1 on a CCR but when I try to do a test to 207.32.194.24 it just sits at the connecting phase. I'm located in Central Texas trying to check the throughput of a new service upgrade on the wan.

mbfound
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:06 pm

Not working for me now, the other btest server that you linked in your original post works.

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:19 pm

Not working for me now, the other btest server that you linked in your original post works.
If you post your WAN IP address, I can check the btest server and see if there is something stuck in my auto-updating queues and fw auto-timeout rules.

North Idaho Tom Jones

mbfound
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:41 pm

Probably something in the following range: 129.205. 144.0/24

They are changed around so can't give you a 100% on the last digit.

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:00 pm

There simply just has to be a bug in the Mikrotik ROS !!!
On the public btest server 207.32.194.24 ( also IPv6 2605:4e40:0:1fe:: ) , the btest server settings somehow changed to :
btest server DISABLED (check box not checked)
btest server Authenticate DISABLED (check box not checked)

I re-enabled the two settings and rebooted the btest server

Give it a try and see if the btest server is now working.

((( This simply just has to be a bug in ROS )))
I have two CPUs assigned to my VMware ESXi btest server
I have 1-Gig of RAM assigned to my VMware ESXi btest server
Last time - I made a band-aid fix by disabling Winbox on the server - I will again disable it and see if those two settings again somehow get disabled

North Idaho Tom Jones

mbfound
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:01 pm

Still no joy, goes straight to disconnected.

Can traceroute to site although it looks like you have ICMP rate limiter on?

matuss
just joined

Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:29 pm

Hello, I've just tested to both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses from one of my RB2011 (Slovakia, Central Europe) on ROS 6.45.11 and both worked great, Thank you!

On IPv4 I've got approximately 75/65Mbps and IPv6 was even 95/85Mbps (UDP both way).
Those speeds are good enough for the installation site, but I wonder what would cause such a difference?
Could it be just my provider prioritizing IPv6? Configuration issue on my side? Is it to be expected?

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:17 pm

Hello, I've just tested to both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses from one of my RB2011 (Slovakia, Central Europe) on ROS 6.45.11 and both worked great, Thank you!

On IPv4 I've got approximately 75/65Mbps and IPv6 was even 95/85Mbps (UDP both way).
Those speeds are good enough for the installation site, but I wonder what would cause such a difference?
Could it be just my provider prioritizing IPv6? Configuration issue on my side? Is it to be expected?
In my opinion …
There are two methods to implement IPv6 routers/networks (with the current IPv4 networks).
- use/build Dual-Stack routers/networks ( were routers in a network are both IPv4 and IPv6 at the same time )
- Add IPv6 routers/networks next to existing IPv4 routers/networks (where you have a mix of only IPv4 routers/networks -and- only IPv6 routers/networks)

Both methods to implement IPv6 work well. ( I'm building both types in my IPS/WISP networks - where some networks use only IPv4 sitting next to only IPv6 routers/network … and other parts of my network are Dual-Stack ( both IPv4 and IPv6 ). There are advantages of both methods to implement IPv6 into your network.
If an IPv4 router is pretty busy/saturated then you have two options , upgrade hardware to support both IPv4 and IPv6 - - - or - - - add additional IPv6 only hardware next to your existing IPv4 hardware. There are pros and cons of both methods.

Edit: Also , IPv6 traffic through the Internet may use different paths (hops) through the Internet verses IPv4 paths (hops). Thus IPv6 traffic has a high possibility of going through totally physically different routers/switches/networks that IPv4 traffic goes through.

In answer to your question - I suspect it simply comes down to what method each Internet hop and built and how busy each device is.

North Idaho Tom Jones

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:02 pm

btest server managed by North Idaho Tom Jones
Upgraded from ver 6.45.2 to newer ver 6.45.3 (upgraded a few minutes ago)