azurtem
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Queue Tree with two uplinks

Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:54 am

Hi

I have situations where a router has two uplinks: a main link and a backup link
As wil any backup option, it is only worth having one if you know it willl work when you actually need it
So I have VoIP travelling through the backup link so as to ensure that this one is always up and ready

I want to setup a queue tree for this router but I'm not sure how to go about this
Should I create my queue tree with upload and download structures that are attached to the global interface or should I have two separate U/D tree structures, one for the main uplink and another for the backup link ?

thanks
yann

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Queue Tree with two uplinks

Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:28 pm

If they're for QoS purposes, then I'd recommend setting them on the interfaces themselves.

Queue tree only works in one direction, so if it's on wan1, then that would be upload direction on wan1.

This has the added advantage that you can tune the bandwidth reservations for each interface to something that makes sense for the type and speed of each connection.
When given a spoon,
you should not cling to your fork.
The soup will get cold.

azurtem
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:18 am

Thanks Zerobyte

QoS-wise I thought the priority/reservation queue settings would influence the router's behaviour as whole and thus whether you approched queue handling globally, or per interface; wouldn't make a huge difference ?

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:33 pm

Like I said, if QoS is your only goal, then you need to do this on a per-interface basis. If you try to do it globally, then traffic might start being queued/dropped when it's not necessary, or worse, the global queue still has resources available, but the actual physical links are at capacity so there is no QoS. You can't just say "I have 10M on link 1 and 50M on link 2, so give VoIP priority over 60M of bandwidth.

QoS only matters when there is congestion. The rest of the time, packets just get forwarded FIFO style. I.e. - you only need this to determine who gets to go and who gets dropped when the link is full. Say link1 is full, then that link needs to prioritize traffic, but if link2 is only 10% full then everything gets to be forwarded.

If you're wanting to do bandwidth limits, then that's an entirely different story, and you need to do this globally.
When given a spoon,
you should not cling to your fork.
The soup will get cold.

azurtem
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:31 pm

Thanks again Zerobytes