Community discussions

MikroTik App

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

NetInstall is not working at all....Help Please.

Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:53 pm

Hello There!

I had just bought a MikroTik RB52HPn and placed in the field for PtP link, but few days back when i tried to access this and i was surprised to see that i'm unable to login the board as per my login details as always used to login. I still cannot retrieve the access to this MikroTik RB52HPn router board device after i tried to reset it to hardware factory default settings visiting to that remote site and still remains at its previously made configuration settings. So i have decided to reinstall the RouterOS on this router board with NetInstall to start-off everything from fresh as there is no other way to access and make it work again in the field.

I have downloaed and run the NetInsall on WIndows XP to re-installed the routerOS for this Groove RB52HPn, as per direct connect this board to PC with the same subnet network config to access the board and with firewall disabled , But NetInstall is no longer detecting the board at all, while Winbox easily detecting the board with its MAC and IP details. Any valuable help to fix this problem to me would be heartly appreciated. Thanks for considering my topic and hope a Mikrotik expert would help me to fix this issue and keep my faith in Mikrotik devices.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:22 pm

Netinstall should be set properly. No firewall or antivirus. Maybe some older netinstall may work better. You should hold the button so long till it appears in netinstall. If you can see the device by its mac and ip it surely works. You are doing something wrong if you cannot reset or run netinstall to it.

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re:

Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:24 pm

Netinstall should be set properly. No firewall or antivirus. Maybe some older netinstall may work better. You should hold the button so long till it appears in netinstall. If you can see the device by its mac and ip it surely works. You are doing something wrong if you cannot reset or run netinstall to it.
Hello Jarda! Thanks for your rely. sure i have deactivate firewall and antivirus also, but still netinstall didn't detect the router. I am using downloaded netinstall using for routerOS 5.20. But i noticed one thing you have mentioned that i should hold the reset button so long till it appears in netinstall. Well, i'm doing the following things:

Direct connect the ether port of RB52HPn to PC, as you know there is no serial port on this device deactivating both firewall and antivirus programs with both the PC and board on the same subnet. Then run the netinstall and not showing board only showing D drive ready (please refer to the attachment). I am assuming that when winbox window can show the board netinstall window must also have shown as both are within the same network. But you mentioned first i should keep to press the reset button and then see the netinstall window for the board details to appear. It means netinstall first required to keep the reset button pressed until it doesn't show the router on its window? Please assist further. Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nerjin
just joined

Re: NetInstall is not working at all....Help Please.

Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:52 am

Dear developers, support team and other Mikrotik guys!

Different people from different countries are complaining netinstall procedure sometimes doesn't work, in different topics for a long time. And you do nothing about that!!! We see only come-offs about firewall/antivirus blah blah blah! How long it will last? Do you think we all are newbies and doesn't try all possible options?
I work for a company with hundreds of routeros devices, different models. I face with this problem here and there and try everything: run on PC's without antivirus and with disabled firewall, run netinstall as an administrator in compatibility mode, disabled and completely deleted other network cards etc. From some PC's it boots, from others it is not.
May be its time to investigate this case as it should be, reproduce the problem and dig little bit deeper?

Here are some topics where this problem is discussed:
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?t=55697
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?t=76460
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?t=43921
Last edited by nerjin on Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:03 am

Simple and maybe stupid question but it should be asked: Have you activated NetBooting ?
nb.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nerjin
just joined

Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:08 am

Simple and maybe stupid question but it should be asked: Have you activated NetBooting ?
nb.PNG
You think I'm a newbie too, don't you? I did this hundreds of times, both successfully and not.

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:21 am

I do not think/assume nothing. Just asking to help.
My experience teaches me that sometimes solution is so so too obvious that you do not even think about it ... "The darkest place is under the candlestick".

nerjin
just joined

Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:49 pm

OK, some details about what is going on on the wire.

I see that boot requests begin to broadcast from my routerboard after about 17 seconds:
netinstall_boot_request.PNG
And my PC sends back the boot reply with the client ip address (that I have set in the netinstall Net booting window, 10.1.1.5) and my routerboard mac address as the client mac address in the body of the boot reply message:
netinstall_boot_reply.PNG
And that's all. Nothing is appeared in the netinstall program. You can see that the routerboard continues to send boot requests and my pc continues to answer (why?).

Interesting that when I'm trying to ping 10.1.1.5 (the routerboard ip) I see the valid arp reply from my routerboard, but I doesn't see any echo replies:
arp_reply.PNG
It means it has actually set the ip address on the interface, nevertheless it doesn't want to appear in the netinstall.

May be someone can show the trace of the valid netinstall boot process to compare with?

arasjac
just joined

Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:33 am

In some MikroTik you can disable option to set default settings.
Connect via COM port, delete NAND, an then reboot router. It helps me.

essam7389
just joined

Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:05 pm

In some MikroTik you can disable option to set default settings.
Connect via COM port, delete NAND, an then reboot router. It helps me.

Mr.arasjac
if i wanna made my serial cable (COM to ETHER.) how it should be arranged.