Community discussions

MikroTik App

Aegis13
just joined
Topic Author

wAP access problem

Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:13 pm

I recently setup a wAP for a client. It worked for a week then he gave it back saying he had reset it and asked me to reconfigure it. I can get to it with Netinstall. I can see it pulling an IP address but I can't configure it from the ether1 port (default config has it blocking input) and I don't see a wireless network "mikrotikXXXXXX" like I did when I configured it initially.

I thought it might be in CAP mode so I even tried connecting it to a CAPsMAN network. The 2ghz light comes on briefly at boot but then goes off. The AP/CAP light never comes on.

Is there a way to send a config script to the wAP with netinstall to enable input from ether1? Is there a way to check logs remotely or diagnose the wireless problem?

Thank you

Feklar
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: wAP access problem

Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:24 pm

When using Netinstall, you can specify a configuration file by checking the configure script option, and selecting the file. Keep in mind if it runs into any syntax error, it will exit at the line it ran into the error and not process the file any further.

The other option open to you would be to use the neighbors function built into the MikroTik, it bypasses the layer3 firewall assuming that you have neighbor discovery turned on the interface you are connected to.

Aegis13
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:07 am

There has to be an issue with 6.34.2 and the wAP. I just bought another one, signed into it, changed the password and updated the router OS to 6.34.2 via winbox, then rebooted. The new wAP now has the same problem.

No wireless network showing up. Can't login as wireless interface appears disabled and ether1 not accepting input by default. How does changing a password and/or loading a 'stable' update cause this to happen?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:14 am

Check which Wireless package you installed. It should be Wireless-cm2
No answer to your question? How to write posts

Aegis13
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:38 pm

I copied the routeros-mipsbe-6.34.2.npk file to the files directory in winbox then rebooted. Would it switch wireless packages on an update?

Is wireless CM2 for capsman and wireless FP for stand alone access points?

Was able to access it with neighborviewer.exe seems to be configurable now.
Thank you.

Basdno
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:25 am

CM-2 is "the newest" and most updated Wireless-package in the ROS Bundle atm.

Aegis13
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:55 am

This issue is really kicking my butt at this point. I have 2 wAPs both on 6.34.2. I can't communicate with either of them now with anything but Netinstall.exe.

I connect to them, the formatting and loading of 6.34.2 works fine, it reboots and says "OK" as the status in Netinstall. I then unplug from the computer and plug it into my RB951G-2HnD. It pulls an IP address but has no "client id" or "active host name", I can't ping it from winbox or command line. The MAC address is a match, so I know it's the right hardware.

I thought I might have somehow disabled ether1, so I tried adding a simple config script. I was hoping this script would enable the interface, turn off any firewall blocking of input, and let it pull an IP address, and have it show up as TEST1 instead of nothing in host name/client. Added this as the configure script in net install.
/interface enable ether1
/ip firewall filter add chain=input action=accept
/ip dhcp-client interface=ether1 disabled=no
/system identity set name=TEST1
This is my first config script so I don't know if I even wrote it correctly, but it did not work.

Is my script wrong?
Does it automatically run the script on reboot?
If not, can I make it run automatically?

It still pulls an IP address but there is no host name/client id and still is not responding to pings.

I cannot see it in neighbor viewer and attempts to MAC telnet to it timeout. (One of them was initially visible in neighbor viewer, when it was version 6.32.4, was not viewable after update, not viewable if I downgrade back to 6.32.4.)

I have another wAP running 6.34.2 as a CAP that is working just fine. So it doesn't appear to be an issue with hardware/software versions.

Can anyone help me?

Thank you.

Aegis13
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:36 pm

Update: Read a bunch on scripting, figured out the issue with auto booting copied script.

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Co ... Management

One of the wAPs is bad (the one I was doing most of the testing on) the other is working perfectly.

Thanks for everyone's help. :D