Community discussions

MikroTik App

mpreissner
Topic Author

Understanding fasttrack?

Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:39 pm

I'm having a little trouble with this. I've configured fasttrack rules as per the Wiki, placing the action=fasttrack-connection at the top of my forward chain, followed by the action=accept rule (for related/established connections). I can't tell if fasttrack is really working or not. My packet counters for both rules are identical, which I interpret as none of my traffic is being fasttracked. These counters, however, are far off from the dummy rule (that really needs to get removed MT!). Can anyone provide a better explanation of how fasttracking works, and better example configurations than the wiki?

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:11 pm

Switch off the fasttrack and load the router by natted traffic till it reaches 100% cpu. Then enable the fasttrack and check the difference in cpu utilisation and throughput.

mpreissner
Topic Author

Re:

Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:43 pm

Switch off the fasttrack and load the router by natted traffic till it reaches 100% cpu. Then enable the fasttrack and check the difference in cpu utilisation and throughput.
Very helpful! Can see the difference between the fasttrack rule being enabled/disabled both when using NAT and between internal networks. I still don't like the dummy rule, and being unable to log fasttracked traffic is kind of annoying, but at least it works.

Thanks!

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Re:

Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:57 pm

and being unable to log fasttracked traffic is kind of annoying, but at least it works.
Would you really want to log every single packet that goes through the router?
If you're trying to log each connection that's made, then you can very easily add logging rules after this.
Fasttrack rule only applies to the second packet and beyond in any given connection. This is becuase when the first packet arrives in a connection, the connection state is "new" and not "established" or "related" - so the fasttrack rule doesn't apply to these new connections - just put a logging rule right after the accept established,connected rule, and you'll log every single new connection.

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Understanding fasttrack?

Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:00 pm

I would suggest to look into this brilliant presentation,
PDF
http://mum.mikrotik.com/presentations/E ... 413105.pdf
video,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bl7V5iFVOc

mpreissner
Topic Author

Re: Re:

Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:14 pm

Would you really want to log every single packet that goes through the router?
If you're trying to log each connection that's made, then you can very easily add logging rules after this.
Fasttrack rule only applies to the second packet and beyond in any given connection. This is becuase when the first packet arrives in a connection, the connection state is "new" and not "established" or "related" - so the fasttrack rule doesn't apply to these new connections - just put a logging rule right after the accept established,connected rule, and you'll log every single new connection.
Only on a temporary basis for diagnostic purposes. I want to be able to make sure that traffic I intend to fasttrack is actually being processed as such.

mpreissner
Topic Author

Re: Understanding fasttrack?

Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:22 pm

I would suggest to look into this brilliant presentation,
PDF
http://mum.mikrotik.com/presentations/E ... 413105.pdf
video,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bl7V5iFVOc
That presentation is awesome! Gave me a much better understanding of how packets flow through ROS...and helped me diagnose why a few connections weren't working right! Thanks!