Community discussions

MikroTik App

rocknight13
Topic Author

Feature Request: Indoor reset for outdoor units

Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:28 pm

most of Mikrotik units become to be outdoor and they finally started they new unit LHG but till now MikroTik did not offer indoor reset button for outdoor units. I think it is not that big deal but will solve a lot problem in case you forget password. or when you deal with new client like to run his unit with your network but he don't know what was old providers password.
anyway hope every one can support me with this request.

suggestion: you can offer new POE with reset features.

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Feature Request: Indoor reset for outdoor units

Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:53 am

most of Mikrotik units become to be outdoor and they finally started they new unit LHG but till now MikroTik did not offer indoor reset button for outdoor units. I think it is not that big deal but will solve a lot problem in case you forget password. or when you deal with new client like to run his unit with your network but he don't know what was old providers password.
anyway hope every one can support me with this request.

suggestion: you can offer new POE with reset features.
Use a POE Router/Switch which allows you to do a remote reset.

rocknight13
Topic Author

Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:18 pm

Dear ste,
I am talking about reset configuration which you need when you loss password. Even if this features is exist with POE switch which in not based on my information. I can't ask my clients to get POE switch to reset they outdoor unit. I think you confuse about remote restart and indoor reset for outdoor units.

Petzl
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:08 pm

just don't forget passwords , you can add more than one user!

rocknight13
Topic Author

Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:28 pm

what about if you get new client and the old service provide added password to avoid access outdoor unit...?!
come on every one is there some one can support me with this logical and very required request.

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:27 pm

is there some one can support me with this logical and very required request.
Just wondering, how do you think it could technically be implemented?

rocknight13
Topic Author

Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:12 am

Dear andriys,
All Ubiquity outdoor units already have this features. and you can see attached image for one of these POE units with RST button.
Technically it is very easy but need to add electronic circuit on hardware to detect if two wires (pairs) are short for more than 10 sec. but not Power wires not(4,5,7,8)...assuming 1,2 pairs simply MikroTik hardware team can added simple electronic circuit can detect short between these two pairs and if that short take more than 10 sec this circuit can send rest command to CPU to make outdoor will reset it self . I think ubiquity did same idea.
This is the simplest way but I am sure there is more than one story to make this done.

marekm
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:14 am

Most U*** radios can be reset by putting the positive supply voltage through a resistor on data pairs. BTW, I suggested it to them in July 2009 - http://community.ubnt.com/t5/NanoStatio ... true#M8742 - though I have to admit it has one problem, it's quite sensitive to water in damaged cable after rain (ethernet link often still works, but devices get reset and stuck in the bootloader). See also https://dren.dk/mreset.html

rocknight13
Topic Author

Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:57 am

Thank you very mush for share that with us marekm, Yes I agree with you most ubiquity devises loss configuration when cable damage and get some water in rain day. But, even if that happens for MikroTik devises this means no problem because it's automatically save backup file for old configuration so you can restore old configuration after cable replacing. Whatever Mikrotik is need this features more than before and I can't understand why anyone of MikroTik team enjoy to this post to get they idea ..normis are you there?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:33 am

Also remember that with resetting there are always two different camps: one that wants to make resetting
easier because they forget passwords or configuration details, the other who wants to make resetting more
difficult because they do not want closed service customers to reset the settings or because a reset could
cause a security breach of a network.

rocknight13
Topic Author

Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:00 pm

Dear pe1chl,
Thank you for your post. This can be solve by two way ...First....the installer or admin of network can replace POE with old POE without reset button. and 2nd solution again is as ubiquity did by check box in software which can activate or disable this feature. The Main issue is this feature required to solve uninstalling outdoor units or sending someone up to tower just to make something can be available indoor easily.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:59 pm

Dear pe1chl,
Thank you for your post. This can be solve by two way ...First....the installer or admin of network can replace POE with old POE without reset button. and 2nd solution again is as ubiquity did by check box in software which can activate or disable this feature. The Main issue is this feature required to solve uninstalling outdoor units or sending someone up to tower just to make something can be available indoor easily.
You post a workaround for a problem that I posted, well I can do that as well:

The solution for having to reset outdoor units because the password has been forgotten is to write down the password.