MikroTik App

ariosvelez
Topic Author

How to DHCP publics IP's

Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:48 pm

Hellow

I have on my CORE Router CCR1036 a /28 Public IP from my ISP provider
ether1-WAN = x.x.x.x/28
I will like to DHCP to my customers those IP's What is the best way to do it?

mennowz
Trainer
Trainer

Re: How to DHCP publics IP's

Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:37 pm

Hellow

I have on my CORE Router CCR1036 a /28 Public IP from my ISP provider
ether1-WAN = x.x.x.x/28
I will like to DHCP to my customers those IP's What is the best way to do it?
Hi Arios,

'Best way' is a bit subjective to say the least. You should enable PROXY-ARP on the WAN interface for starters.

Then you could do multiple things.. you could :

Use 'supernetting' by chopping the /28 into 2 /29's and use the 2nd half on a different interface (or bridge)' but that will cost you some public ip's (1 for network, 1 for broadcast and 1 for the MikroTik interface that you then would use as default GW)

You could use PxP routing (IP = PubIP , Netmask is Next-hop).. Not sure Windows will accept that, but you didn't mention what the CPE device is ;)

And then my favorite : Use PPPoE.. You can assign both PublicIPs and private IPs, it will not cost you any extra IP's as it can use PxP routing as a feature AND Windows and almost all firewall/router vendors will support it. You will even have the possibility to shape their traffic without having to manually create Queues ;)

Hope my answer helped you somehow,

have fun!

Menno

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:43 pm

Setting up DHCP for public IP addresses is not any different than setting it up for private ones, at least as far as DHCP itself is concerned.

If you have an interface with the public IP address configured on it, try using the DHCP setup wizard to do it easily. Otherwise, define a pool with the usable public IP addresses, a network with the correct IP/netmask (e.g. 192.0.2.32/28 gateway=192.0.2.33), and configuring the dhcp server to run on the public interface with the public IP pool.

The only real difference is that you'd want to make sure there's no NAT on this interface's outbound connections.

mennowz
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:54 pm

Setting up DHCP for public IP addresses is not any different than setting it up for private ones, at least as far as DHCP itself is concerned.

If you have an interface with the public IP address configured on it, try using the DHCP setup wizard to do it easily. Otherwise, define a pool with the usable public IP addresses, a network with the correct IP/netmask (e.g. 192.0.2.32/28 gateway=192.0.2.33), and configuring the dhcp server to run on the public interface with the public IP pool.

The only real difference is that you'd want to make sure there's no NAT on this interface's outbound connections.
Now that would make my ISP angry :D , but it's also a working example.. It all depends on what you would like to do..

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:58 pm

Now that would make my ISP angry :D , but it's also a working example.. It all depends on what you would like to do..
If they're routing a /28 to your router, and you're handing out public IP addresses with a dhcp server that runs on your "lan-facing" interface, then the ISP shouldn't care. If they're just dropping a /28 off at you from the WAN side, then more than likely they've got you isolated from your neighbors, so that shouldn't break anything either.

mennowz
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:06 am

If they're routing a /28 to your router, and you're handing out public IP addresses with a dhcp server that runs on your "lan-facing" interface, then the ISP shouldn't care. If they're just dropping a /28 off at you from the WAN side, then more than likely they've got you isolated from your neighbors, so that shouldn't break anything either.
True, that wouldn't be a problem, but i understood you were advising running a DHCP server on the WAN interface :D

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:11 am

"interface with public IP" != "wan interface"

I know that's normally the case in most people's experience nowadays, but they're really two completely different concepts, which is why it didn't cross my mind to specify "lan" interface :lol: - heck, when I got started in this field, even LAN interfaces always had public IP addresses on them..... on one of those blazingly-fast dual-channel ISDN connections we used to sell. (128Kbps, baby - it was like loading the web page straight from your hard drive!)

mennowz
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:15 am

I know that's normally the case in most people's experience nowadays, but they're really two completely different concepts, which is why it didn't cross my mind to specify "lan" interface :lol: - heck, when I got started in this field, even LAN interfaces always had public IP addresses on them..... on one of those blazingly-fast dual-channel ISDN connections we used to sell. (128Kbps, baby - it was like loading the web page straight from your hard drive!)

Yep, that's the interpretation.. must me the late hour over here. Assumptions assumptions, but you are right.. it more or less lays in line with the 'chop the /28 into 2x 29'.

Would still go for the PPPoE route, but isn't really what he asked for (DHCP) 8)

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:16 am

Yep, that's the interpetation.. must me the late hour over here. Assumptions assumptions, but you are right.. it more or less lays in line with the 'chop the /28 into 2x 29'.

Would still go for the PPPoE route, but isn't really what he asked for (DHCP) 8)
plus, pppoe would let him use all 16 addresses of the /28 ;)

mennowz
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:21 am

:lol:

mennowz
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:22 am

So.. what's it gonna be Arios? :D